Charged full fees on Australia Day

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#26 Dionysus

Posted 01 February 2015 - 06:57 AM

Standard at ours too. We also pay 1/2 rate if we don't use a day (and let em know), if we go on holiday for example. That's to keep our spot.

PH come into that, too (though obviously no option to still use it).

#27 SplashingRainbows

Posted 01 February 2015 - 06:58 AM

I'm thankful our centre doesn't charge for public holidays or christmas shutdown. All our costs for the year are divided by the number of Fay's we charge for and everyone contributes.

I do think this is the fairest method but it isn't standard by any means.

I'm sorry you got caught out by not knowing. That must have been a shock.

#28 Just Another Cat

Posted 01 February 2015 - 06:59 AM

View Postdrowninginlego, on 01 February 2015 - 06:30 AM, said:

Because then Wednesday's child will be paying more to pay for a day they don't attend. That wouldn't be fair either.

No. They would be paying their portion of the benefits (like paid public holidays) the full time staff in their room receive.

It's the only fair way to do it. It's how other businesses run.

#29 bees-knees

Posted 01 February 2015 - 07:09 AM

View PostFeralishous, on 01 February 2015 - 12:46 AM, said:

Our centre only charges the rebated amount for public holidays (so we pay zero gap)
One of the main reasons we chose the centre in the first place.

Ours does this too, but I just figured it was standard practice.

#30 gracie1978

Posted 01 February 2015 - 07:10 AM

Yup standard here as well.
I wouldn't dare argue about it.  I'm very grateful for the two days I have!  I will continue to behave myself in the hope that we will get some extra days :)

#31 LittleListen

Posted 01 February 2015 - 07:17 AM

So for the switched on families who have deliberately chosen mid-week days so as to avoid the fees/closure issue should be charged for their ingenuity and people who have Mondays get a 'free ride' taking a day of the week where they don't have to pay for several days across the year because everyone else is paying for them?

Nup.

Once we all loose our penalty rates and are not paid for days that we don't work, then we can approach this one fairly.

Until then, unfortunately OP you signed a contract without reading the fine print. Not the educator's fault.

#32 niggles

Posted 01 February 2015 - 07:23 AM

People who use Mondays would pay more on their Mondays too. Not a free ride. It's how every other business / organisation closed on a Monday operates.

#33 Fright bat

Posted 01 February 2015 - 07:27 AM

OP, I think the bigger issue is that you DON'T get paid on a public holiday, rather than the fact that other people (including your FDC person) do. Casual employment sucks. Can you move to a more permanent position? Because you're probably missing out on other things, like paid annual leave.

Edited by Fright bat, 01 February 2015 - 07:28 AM.

#34 Orangecake

Posted 01 February 2015 - 07:38 AM

Totally standard. I looked at 10+ childcares for DS (high demand area) and all had the same policy of paying for public holidays and days off due to family holidays, sickness etc

#35 Mic84

Posted 01 February 2015 - 07:47 AM

I work public holidays so its a pain not to have daycare when I work. Unfortunately it doesn't help me for childcare purposes, but if I plan ahead I could have any other day that had a vacancy that week which meant money isnt wasted. It was in the fine print of a form I filled in the days for my DS, that they would be closed but still charge, and I also asked at the beginning as I figured they would close public holidays as daycare staff only get 4 weeks holiday (when i started working public holidays i paid attention to other people's work entitlements at bit more!)
Maybe ask them if you can have an extra day somewhere else as a goodwill gesture as u weren't aware? Maybe say something about needing to work another day and need to make up that day work wise ?

Edited by Mic84, 01 February 2015 - 07:54 AM.

#36 Franny and Zooey

Posted 01 February 2015 - 07:48 AM

I and the rest of my co workers got paid for that public holiday, it's not the day cares problem if you are in a casual or contract job that doesn't.

#37 hills mum bec

Posted 01 February 2015 - 07:49 AM

I have been using child care for 13+ years, both LDC & FDC, I have always had to pay for public holidays & I have never questioned it.

#38 Leslie Knope

Posted 01 February 2015 - 07:53 AM

one of those things that you have to suck it up and move on from

This!!

#39 KT1978

Posted 01 February 2015 - 07:58 AM

That's why I chose Mondays! I was getting paid the same to work 3/4 less days a year. Why would you work more days just to get the same money, pay the same fees and put your kid in childcare more?

#40 niggles

Posted 01 February 2015 - 08:04 AM

View PostKT1978, on 01 February 2015 - 07:58 AM, said:

That's why I chose Mondays! I was getting paid the same to work 3/4 less days a year. Why would yrou work more days just to get the same money, pay the same fees and put your kid in childcare more?

In my case because it was easier to get my job done without so many days off each year. We ran a tight budget.

#41 maryanneK

Posted 01 February 2015 - 08:05 AM

we had to pay full fees to day care for the 2.5 weeks we were on holiday interstate over christmas - and every public holiday too!

#42 seepi

Posted 01 February 2015 - 08:07 AM

If you ask quickly you might be able to put them in another day this week as a 'make up day' if another child is away.

My centre will do this, but only within the same pay period.

#43 Pearson

Posted 01 February 2015 - 08:20 AM

View PostHello_Kitty, on 31 January 2015 - 11:47 PM, said:

DD2 attends a FDC twice a week. One of her days fell on Australia Day and I was advised by the educator there would be no daycare that day, but full fees were payable.

I was (and still am) in shock. I have called fair trading and they stated if it's in the FDC's t & c's, then yes, we are liable for fees. If it's not stated then the educator doesn't have a leg to stand on.

DD2 started in September last year, and only a pamphlet was given regarding food etc - I don't recall there being a disclaimer about full fees on public holidays.

The invoice for this week has come through, and sure enough DD2's 'normal' Monday hours have been put in and charged for!

Has anyone been in a similar situation? Can you offer any advice?

TIA

do you get paid your full wage on Public Holidays? Part time and full time workers do.

View PostJust Another Cat, on 01 February 2015 - 06:24 AM, said:

Agree. I know it's standard practice to charge for public holidays. I just don't understand why they don't average it out and charge everyone.

Why should a Monday child incur most of the public holiday costs when a Wednesday child incurs next to none.

DD was in daycare on Fridays only. It was annoying. I went to put DS in the same centre and all they could offer was Mondays, I said no.

Why did you say no?  you probably get paid public holidays, so should your carers.

Australia Day falls on any day of the year, as it is a specific date, as does Anzac Day.  Yes, other public holidays are aligned to "the first monday in..." but come on...

They have Mondays free because no one will suck it up and take them.

Do you all realise that this is an entitlement that many of you enjoy, paid public holidays, paid holidays, paid sick leave, and yet you expect someone who cares for your child/ren, the future of this country, to give this up. Perhaps when you go on leave you should give up your pay to your employer.

However, it would be annoying to have children at the same centre on different days.

#44 Lees75

Posted 01 February 2015 - 08:20 AM

Neither of the centres we used charged for public holidays or Christmas shutdowns.

Through EB, I have come to realise that we were lucky! I find it odd and can't think of another industry where the consumer/client is expected to directly fund the wages for staff on a public holiday.  I agree with previous posters- it should be factored into the daycare centre's financial planning and then fees set accordingly.

Edited by Lees75, 01 February 2015 - 08:21 AM.

#45 ohbother

Posted 01 February 2015 - 08:21 AM

When my children went to family daycare the way it worked was if she didn't provide care then no fees were paid, ie if carer sick or away or holiday, but if we were on holiday or child sick then we paid full fees

#46 Pearson

Posted 01 February 2015 - 08:23 AM

View PostLittleListen, on 01 February 2015 - 07:17 AM, said:

So for the switched on families who have deliberately chosen mid-week days so as to avoid the fees/closure issue should be charged for their ingenuity and people who have Mondays get a 'free ride' taking a day of the week where they don't have to pay for several days across the year because everyone else is paying for them?

Nup.

Once we all loose our penalty rates and are not paid for days that we don't work, then we can approach this one fairly.

Until then, unfortunately OP you signed a contract without reading the fine print. Not the educator's fault.

We don't put DD in care on Mondays because my DH works Tuesday to Saturday - there is no choice, he is not paid handsomely for it and we don't have a weekend together, we have one day a week together....

#47 JomoMum

Posted 01 February 2015 - 08:32 AM

View PostPearson, on 01 February 2015 - 08:20 AM, said:

Do you all realise that this is an entitlement that many of you enjoy, paid public holidays, paid holidays, paid sick leave, and yet you expect someone who cares for your child/ren, the future of this country, to give this up. Perhaps when you go on leave you should give up your pay to your employer.
This. I dont understand how so many of you can be offended by it. Seems like a massive double standard.

The centres etc are not profiteering. They're paying their employees.

#48 MrsLexiK

Posted 01 February 2015 - 08:35 AM

View PostLees75, on 01 February 2015 - 08:20 AM, said:

Neither of the centres we used charged for public holidays or Christmas shutdowns.

Through EB, I have come to realise that we were lucky! I find it odd and can't think of another industry where the consumer/client is expected to directly fund the wages for staff on a public holiday.  I agree with previous posters- it should be factored into the daycare centre's financial planning and then fees set accordingly.
Many day cares run a tight ship. Many restaurants were I am charge a surcharge on a public holiday or Sunday to cover penalty rates for the staff. If our room was 100% full each day about half the fees need to pay for the staff.

#49 StringArt

Posted 01 February 2015 - 08:42 AM

I pay Kindy fees and school fees on a public holiday.

Then pay my business staff 2.5 times what I normally do.

And usually make much less than a normal day, as everyone is at the beach.

But that's how our society is set up. And for the decision makers (not the child centre... The people who set the laws we follow) it's quitea good set up. Not so much when you're on the paying side though...

#50 JomoMum

Posted 01 February 2015 - 08:44 AM

View PostHello_Kitty, on 31 January 2015 - 11:47 PM, said:

DD2 attends a FDC twice a week. One of her days fell on Australia Day and I was advised by the educator there would be no daycare that day, but full fees were payable.

OP can you clarify? You say you were told no care and full  fees applied .. Why are you now shocked?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.