Moving back to Australia

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Its Percy

Posted 12 February 2015 - 03:46 PM

It looks like we'll be moving back to Australia in the next 12 months. We're currently living in NZ where our daughters were born. They have dual NZ/Australian citizenship so no immigration issues.

My questions are for those who have moved back from living overseas:

1. Schools. Did you move back mid year and was it pretty easy to get you children into schools? We'll be moving to Perth and probably looking at state schools for now as they are early primary school. Do schools have to take you if you turn up mid year or can they deny you entry?

2. Medicare - we haven't lived in Australia for nearly 10 years so our medicare card is well expired, plus our kids are not on it. Is it just a matter of going to the medicare office and presenting their documents?

3. Health insurance - ugh. We're both over 40 and as we've been out of the country haven't had Australian health insurance for that time. We've had insurance in the other countries we've lived in - will that make a difference to avoiding the 2% or whatever the levy is?

Anything else I have missed??

#2 Bob-the-skull

Posted 12 February 2015 - 03:55 PM

View PostPercoriel, on 12 February 2015 - 03:46 PM, said:

It looks like we'll be moving back to Australia in the next 12 months. We're currently living in NZ where our daughters were born. They have dual NZ/Australian citizenship so no immigration issues.

My questions are for those who have moved back from living overseas:

1. Schools. Did you move back mid year and was it pretty easy to get you children into schools? We'll be moving to Perth and probably looking at state schools for now as they are early primary school. Do schools have to take you if you turn up mid year or can they deny you entry?

2. Medicare - we haven't lived in Australia for nearly 10 years so our medicare card is well expired, plus our kids are not on it. Is it just a matter of going to the medicare office and presenting their documents?

3. Health insurance - ugh. We're both over 40 and as we've been out of the country haven't had Australian health insurance for that time. We've had insurance in the other countries we've lived in - will that make a difference to avoiding the 2% or whatever the levy is?

Anything else I have missed??

Can't really help with 2 and 3.. but with schools if you are in their zone they have to accept you. Its illegal for children to not attend school so they have to do it.

#3 Its Percy

Posted 12 February 2015 - 04:00 PM

Thanks Meh. Not sure when it will be - if DH can't move before  the start of the school year, think I might move back with the kids in advance rather than part way through the year. Or stay here to finish the year.

Something or other anyway!!

#4 Acidulous Osprey

Posted 12 February 2015 - 04:00 PM

Medicare is easy, you just rock up to Centrelink (sorry there are no medicare offices any longer) and present paperwork.

They don't care if you held PHI in other countries, you will be charged the levy unfortunately.

#5 Its Percy

Posted 12 February 2015 - 04:03 PM

Ok - see I didn't know there weren't any medicare offices!! Really annoyed about the levy as we've held PHI for years before we left and couldn't keep the insurance as we were non residents. Stupid levy.

#6 niksia

Posted 12 February 2015 - 04:26 PM

You should be exempt from the PHI loading http://www.privatehe...healthcover.htm Check the last dot point under 'permitted days without hospital cover.'

The medicare levy in tax is now 2% + a surcharge if you are high income and don't health insurance.

#7 Acidulous Osprey

Posted 12 February 2015 - 04:38 PM

Oh good, I'm wrong then :).  It did seem unfair to me that you could cop that loading forever after.

#8 sashimisashimi14

Posted 12 February 2015 - 04:53 PM

PHI- You have a certain number of days after arriving in Australia to get PHI without the loading. Can't remember what it was so best to check (a quick phone call to a PHI company will probably sort you out on this)

Medicare- you just need to go to the Medicare office and present relevant documents and that's it. Just be really thorough about checking what Medicare requires you to bring to avoid wasting time.

#9 Acidulous Osprey

Posted 12 February 2015 - 04:57 PM

I'm still right about the medicare offices though ;)

#10 Its Percy

Posted 12 February 2015 - 05:19 PM

You guys are AWESOME! Super stoked to find that out about PHI :) Thank you so much!!

Now just have a year to wait till we move :)

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.