Preschool lunch

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#26 Starrydawn

Posted 17 February 2015 - 08:33 PM

DD did bring most of hers home. She ate a few sultanas the banana bread and the fruit at fruit time.

I noticed she ate a lot more tea tonight though than usual.

#27 Starrydawn

Posted 17 February 2015 - 08:36 PM

Futureself, on 17 February 2015 - 08:28 PM, said:

I know it's easy to say "don't be upset" but  I know it's so hard when you just feel like you 'got it wrong and every one else is getting it right'.

For me, DS (almost 2.5) is a bits and pieces eater so I do options for his lunch-box for CC.

MT: Banana or apple slices PLUS a yoghurt
Lunch: A hot lunch of 2 lamb chops, or chicken pieces or small pork steak plus some green beans and broccoli OR cold lunch of Tuna slices or smoked salmon slices and grated cheese and carrot
AT: homemade raspberry or banana muffin OR cheese and crackers OR cheddermite scroll

I doubt very much that he eats all of every offering at each meal but this way he has variety and choice (very important to him) and can control his own appetite.

Yes DD is very fussy and likes food separated and needs that choice so by me giving her options she eats something.

#28 laridae

Posted 17 February 2015 - 08:40 PM

I wouldn't be sending much more than that. Ours has 3 eating breaks. Fruit or veg, morning tea and lunch so I send three things in separate boxes.
Fruit and veg I've sent - small container of diced watermelon, small container of carrot sticks (1 large or 2 small carrots), small container of grapes and cherries, a banana
Snack I've sent - small container of popcorn, cheese and crackers (4 crackers & a slice of cheese cut up), small container of yoghurt
Lunch I've been sending ham, cheese & tomato sauce sandwich. On Helga's bread so its fairly thick cut though.
DD doesn't eat it all - normally eats about 3/4 of the sandwich, most of the fruit/veg and most of the snack. Some days I've added an extra banana and she doesn't eat it until after school. Anything left over is afternoon tea.

Tomorrow I'm branching out and not sending a sandwich. Sending a container of baked beans instead. Hoping she doesn't get teased but she loves cold baked beans.

#29 TaciturnTurtledove

Posted 17 February 2015 - 08:47 PM

Just in response to your sounding stressed about portions; I am using a yumbox for my preschooler and it has sections for grains, vegetables, protein, etc. So if I fill all the sections I'm providing a balanced meal without having to think too hard. She eats much more than I expected, too - almost a full yumbox for lunch plus a separate snack box for morning tea.

#30 Caribou

Posted 18 February 2015 - 08:37 AM

Thanks for all your replies. Ive sent her in with heaps of food her lunchbox barely zipped shut. I didn't have a chance to shop yesterday. I'm going to go find some muffin recipes that I can whip up a batch and freeze, taking them out the night before.

Does anyone know of any nice healthy muffin recipes that freeze well?

#31 LittleBrownMouse

Posted 18 February 2015 - 03:44 PM

These are the zucchini muffins I mentioned in my post. I do them as mini muffins which I give for morning tea with a piece of fruit. I like them because they are savoury (and therefore sugar free) so they preschool are happy with them ;) they contain carbs, dairy, protein and healthy fats, so quite balanced.

http://www.taste.com...ucchini muffins

They freeze well, but pretty much all muffins will.

Hope it went well today.

#32 robhat

Posted 18 February 2015 - 04:09 PM

Different kids eat different amounts. I have a friend whose 7 year old DD eats more than I do and almost as much as my DH. It's normal for her and she is not even close to being overweight. She's tall for her age and very active. Another friend's child barely eats a thing, but seems to be surviving. He's not even skinny! My two eat somewhere in between.

My 3.5 year old goes to preschool with a little tub filled with dried fruit, a biscuit or some crackers and usually a cheese stick or babybel. For lunch he'll have a small bread roll, either bought or home made, of the cheesymite or ham and cheese or hot cross bun variety. He'll also have a little tub of salad that will consist of something like 3 slices of cucumber, 3 slices of carrot half a dozen grapes and a few small sticks of capsicum. He was also taking a yoghurt pouch until today but a note has just come home saying there is now a dairy allergy in his preschool and yoghurts are banned. He has sometimes taken a banana or other fresh fruit along. He eats the lot.

Don't feel bad. In the first few weeks preschool teachers are prone to tell you everything and sometimes it feels like they are criticising. Usually they are just trying to tell you what is going on so you can 'fix' it. In most cases it's often that being at preschool is different to home and kids behave differently. My son, who has not had an afternoon nap in well over a year apparently still needs 'rest time' according to his teachers, plus they've had toileting issues with him and sometimes he doesn't share (who'd have thought that possible for a 3 year old). He's just settling in.

Pack more food, but if you think there is a chance she won't eat it, pack stuff that will keep and you can always send it again the next day or give it to her for afternoon tea if it doesn't get eaten at preschool.

#33 ruthlet

Posted 18 February 2015 - 04:12 PM

I feel your pain about preschool lunches.

We send our 3.5 yo DD with small yoghurt, small container of fruit and some nut-free bliss balls for morning tea, and a ham sandwich with a cheese stick and some cherry tomatoes  and fruit for lunch.

Yesterday a class email came out asking us not to send 'copious' morning tea. How on earth does one define copious?

Everything we send is being eaten, so I'm just going to go with it unless they say something!

#34 aluminium

Posted 18 February 2015 - 04:27 PM

Hi OP,
I can't help you with the muffin recipe but this is what I send with my 4 y/o DD for preschool:

Fruit break: cut up strawberries/nectarine/apple or banana
Lunch: ham and cheese sandwich, small bunch of grapes
Afternoon tea: salad plate: 1/2 lebanese cuke, 3 cherry toms, a slice of block-cheese, 2 jatz, 1/2 carrot (sticks) 3 snow peas - 1/2 apricot or grapes or strawberries (depending on what she has for fruit break).

She's 4, and skinny, and she eats it all.

#35 lucy-lu

Posted 19 February 2015 - 03:27 PM

DD4 get a piece of fruit or container of vegies and a muffin/slice for morning tea.
Lunch is a wrap or sandwich, sometimes she leaves half the lunch.
Maybe just add another small thing, but I think like you said, she just wants to have food because the other kids have it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.