Jump to content
Anyone do PGD due to repeated failure?
6 replies to this topic
Posted 21 February 2015 - 11:52 AM
after a long break I'm back! So I've changed clinics and did a new cycle. This time we did a down regulated cycle. In the past it's all been antagonists. We retrieved 16 eggs, 13 mature and 8 fertilized with ICSI. We were able to freeze 4 at day 2 and transferred 2 day 2s, grade 2 & 3 which was another BFN.
Quick outline of my past experience, for those who don't know. I'm 28 yrso We're doing ivf due to male factor. My husband was born with undescended testicles so produces very very little sperm. We did 4 fresh icsi cycles and 3 FETS which were all BFN. So including this round, we've had 6 transfers of day 2s, 3 and 5 day blasts with no success, 2 of the cycles were canceled due to no fertilization.
my RE suspects chromosomal issues with the embryos and suggests we do a last natural FET then look into doing PGD. We've had karyotype testing all of which came back positive.
My question is, has anyone done PGD due to repeated failure and has been successful? I would really appreciate some feedback as I feel like we're nearing the end and will never have a success..
Posted 22 April 2015 - 06:57 PM
Ill be following this one too - sorry i cant give any advice. We have had 4 transfers (one MC, others BFN). At 31 the last thing we can do is the PGD but the clinic want at least one more stim cycle after trying these embryos before considering it.
Anyway. My two cents worth is that its expensive, but likely worth it in the end, given the cost per IVF cycle, it may cut out some that had no hope from the start. My worry is the long term issues with what happens developmentally when you extract cell(s) from the embryo at such an early stage (the oldest PGD child is only 7, so not much data to go on...). But, i'm sure you like me agree that you just have to go with what the doctors can offer if nothing else is working. Or its just a numbers game as my doctor also says!
Have you had laparoscopy/hysteroscopy and all that stuff to check for reasons for implantation failure?
Posted 25 November 2015 - 07:44 AM
I am PGD because of age as I'm 42. Previous successful natural pregnancies but doing IVF with PGD to avoid the time cost of repeated miscarriages. If you can afford it id recommend it. It does add some time to the process but avoids transferring a doomed embryo. I had a hatching day 5 blast last cycle which had I not had tested would have been transferred. It was abnormal so by testing I avoided a transfer that was never going to work and then could get on with my next cycle. One difficulty with PGD in Aus anyway is that most clinics only biopsy hatching blasts and so you need to get some embryos to that stage by day 5 or 6 to do it. Extracting cells at this stage is thought to be much less risk than extracting cells from a day 3 embryo which doesn't have many cells to give away at that point. You are young and so hopefully can get 5 days blasts so the testing would certainly be an option for you.
Posted 05 December 2015 - 07:15 AM
To answer your question, yes we did PGD and have it to thank for our (only) child who is 6 years old now.
We had repeated failure prior to that, 3 M/C.
After the successful pg, we went back (specialist was different) and we wanted to do PGD again, we were talked out of it due to cost and went on to have 4 more M/C. The PGD is worth every cent to know that you have a viable embryo on board and to avoid mulitple pg and subsequent M/C heartbreak. Not to mention we didn't save any money in the end the multiple pg's, FETs, associated drugs, D&C's etc all cost just as much.
The PGD testing is even more advanced now than 6 years ago when we had it.
We are now looking at donor egg with PGD (due to age of my eggs). You are still at a good age, but I regret the many years spent transferring untested embryos.
Posted 05 December 2015 - 07:40 AM
Hi OP... I'm starting my 5th IVF cycle and wanted to share the advice my FS has given me.
Apparently PGD studies are showing that 2 out if 3 embryos are 100% not going to result in pregnancy. And that's for people who don't necessarily have any other hurdles. He recommended we do PGD to give us the best chance of success. This doesn't necessarily guarantee a pregnancy but it does increase the odds.
Weighing up the cost of embryo transfer and the emotional pain of a BFN, this will be a good option for us. PGD costs around $700 per embryo whilst a FET costs about $3500. Financially this makes sense. Emotionally, atleast I'll know the one(s) we do transfer have a possibility...
I don't think there's a right or wrong answer for each of us individually- this is a tough decision for you and I wish you all the best xx
Posted 31 December 2015 - 12:35 AM
yes my friend did, unfortunately dont know the outcome yet. Good luck with yr cycling
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users
Top 5 Viewed Articles