Drowning (not waving) in the mess.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Kylie Orr

Posted 24 February 2015 - 02:50 PM

My husband thinks I should live in a display home. You know the ones: fanned magazines on a glass coffee table; clear, expansive kitchen benches sparkling under down lights. No undies on the floor as you walk into the bathroom. No pee soaked into the toilet tile grout.

We have four kids. We could be the poster house for how not to display stuff. There are no fanned magazines on coffee tables. In fact after a couple of toddler incidents involving falls and something called “cauliflower ear” we ditched our coffee tables altogether. Our kitchen benches are expansive which gives license for everyone to dump their goods. Being a flat surface it attracts more junk than a hoarder’s hall closet. Children’s bedrooms and playroom? Well, let’s just say they have doors for good reason.

Since having children, my standards and expectations of how the house should look have been significantly downgraded. I was never anal about cleanliness. Simply, a clean and tidy house that was warm and welcoming was always my goal. The houses where you were too frightened to clutter the bench with your keys were not something to which I aspired.

My goal was booted out of the park when baby number one arrived. I was so sleep deprived the thought of picking up a vacuum cleaner and buzzing around the house during his catnap was something I would never have risked. I stayed on top of most household chores but it would be fair to say the entire house was never clean all at the same time. Clean the bathroom one day, kitchen remains a pigsty. Kitchen cleaned the next day, welcome to bedlam in the bedroom. Fold washing but it sits there for days until the new pile hides the old one. Back to bathroom and repeat.

Quadruple the washing, the toys, the bags and shoes, the lunchboxes, drink bottles, accumulated box art, random stickers, rocks, miniature toys, and lolly wrappers acquired from who knows where, and my house feels like a bombsite. EVERY SINGLE DAY! It is a constant merry-go-round of feeling entirely out of control.

I’ve attempted numerous ploys to conquer this enemy I call the sty. There was the “nobody goes to bed until their floor can be seen in their bedroom” rule. Lasted two days. There was the weekly chore chart, with age-appropriate jobs. I ended up bellowing endless orders and then feeling frustrated at the substandard job done by my little soldiers. The war on mess seemed to be a one-woman battle.

Constant rants about “living the dream” and “do you think this is the life I always wanted, cleaning up after you lot?” could’ve made a Mother’s Greatest Hits album. Hours wasted on Pinterest drooling on my keyboard at someone else’s orderly fridge did nothing to help clean out my own.

I bought a labeller and went berserk labelling everything including my children’s foreheads. It made no difference to the mess but at least everyone knew where items were supposed to go. And I knew which kid was which (helpful when you have enough to warrant a headcount).

So, last week, as I teetered on the edge of a mid-life-crisis-c*m-nervous-breakdown (possibly a little melodramatic), I implemented the 15-minute race against the clock. I put a bowl of water with a lemon in it in the microwave for 15 minutes (stay with me, it is relevant). The children and the husband were heaved off the couch and any screen they may have been addicted to, and briefed:
  • 15 minutes to pick up anything you see and put it where it belongs
  • If you are found to be dawdling, or without something in your hands, you will have 5 minutes added on to your individual time with the risk of a toilet scrub as your bonus job
  • Any lazy dumping of items in hidden places will incur an additional 5 minutes (once I discover it in 2 weeks)
  • If anyone grumbles, I put music on and sing and dance at the top of my lungs for the entire 15 minutes (a true and real punishment)
Well, blow me down with a feather duster but my little game worked. The kids knew it was only fifteen minutes of their precious time. I knew the five people who helped make this sty were helping to clean it up. Nothing quite like accountability. The threat of me singing was enough to have a rocket up each and every one of them. The house was tidy in a quarter of an hour.

It’s true; many hands make many handprints all over your glass. Many hands also make light work. My hope as the children grow is they will all get into the habit of just putting stuff where it belongs in the first place and the daily 15 minute race against the clock will become a 5 minute race against mum’s singing. I also hope for world peace so I'm an optimist, or a stupidist.

And the microwave? Well at the end of the fifteen minutes I had a steam cleaned microwave which sparkled after a simple wipe down and my house had a citrus rather than a boys-peed-all-over-the-floor kind of aroma. Just call me Martha (without the jail time).

What cleaning strategies work for your household?

Kylie

Edited by Kylie Orr, 12 March 2015 - 12:52 PM.

#2 TKS

Posted 01 March 2015 - 11:02 PM

Nothing is working for us at the moment. I have a 2.5yr old, a 3 mth old and two very hairy dogs and I do feel like I'm drowning when it comes to housework.

We had a cleaner when I was pregnant because I had some medical issues that meant I had trouble doing housework and doing it all plus looking after my 2 yr old was too much for my husband. But we let her go a month after I had my baby because we couldn't afford a cleaner while I am on mat leave.

Today was the first time the floors have been cleaned in a month (very, very hairy dogs) and I cleaned the bathroom last night at 9 pm in desperation (not cleaned in six weeks). My time is spend feeding the baby, chasing the 2 yr old and doing load after load of laundry (baby is a spewer the 2 yr old toilet training). The mess and dirt is driving me insane. It actually makes me anxious and I feel claustrophobic. My husband does his fair share but there's not much time left after he cooks dinner and baths the toddler etc.

The thought of having to put up with the mess til the kids leave home horrifies me. In the meantime I'd love to know how to clean while breast feeding hourly while dealing with a mischievous 2 year old. :yes:

#3 galba

Posted 01 March 2015 - 11:27 PM

We have four kids here too.  We do the 7-minute clean up.  Each child is assigned an area, I do the kitchen and the timer is set.  I may/or may not pause the timer in the middle when no-one is looking.

If guests are coming round then I feed them first so they are all happy, do the 20-minute 'deep' clean and then give them lollies as a treat.

You do what you have to do!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.