Client very slow to pay - I need payment!

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#26 Beancat

Posted 11 March 2015 - 02:14 PM

Thanks everyone

It really just sucks.  not only did I deliver early on this project, but I had to fork out for three days of childcare for two children each week for 6 months.

I basically need the money I am owned to pay "myself back" with the expenses I have incurred.

I have been burnt before too and I think that is what is making me nervous.  I checked my accounts and I billed them on Jan 16, so it is nearly two months.

I spoke to the consultant who engaged me and he was going to speak to the CFO today.  If I have not got a response by COB today I will call tomorrow and advise I will be referring it for collection.

#27 remlab

Posted 11 March 2015 - 02:29 PM

I will say that it isn't always the companies fault.
There is a woman who works in DH's office who does his departments invoicing and accounts. She had been putting the invoices of certain companies on the bottom of the pile and leaving them for a month or two.
When DH found out, he was angry and went straight to the big boss and she nearly lost her job.

#28 Run baby run

Posted 11 March 2015 - 02:40 PM

Out of curiosity, who pays the debt collectors?

#29 HRH Countrymel

Posted 11 March 2015 - 02:58 PM

View PostRun baby run, on 11 March 2015 - 02:40 PM, said:

They get a % of the recovered debts.

I know this as I had one turn up on my doorstep when I was a student - big scary 'old school' thug looking chap.

When he checked his sheet and realised that the 'debt' he had come to shake me down over was LESS THAN A DOLLAR! he was somewhat miffed.

#30 FiveAus

Posted 12 March 2015 - 06:28 AM

View PostRun baby run, on 11 March 2015 - 02:40 PM, said:

Years ago I worked in admin for an IT company. I approached a collection agency to chase up some bad debts for us, and they advised me to always add a note to ALL invoices that the cost of collecting overdue debts would be borne by the debtor. That way, we would not be out of pocket and the collection agency could legally collect their fee as well as the original debt.
Not sure if this still stands but it's worth looking into.

#31 KT1978

Posted 12 March 2015 - 06:40 AM

Stupid company. The first thing I do with a slow payer is I charge them more. Way more.

I don't think companies realise how much this costs them, all they think of is "oh the bank account is earning me 1.4% interest".

You could charge them $100 late fee. It does cost you time to chase up.

#32 Caribou

Posted 12 March 2015 - 06:41 AM

My understand is usually a debt collection agency "buys" the debt off you, adds % fee and chases you down for it.  So you no longer worry about it, you've got your cash and they chase the naughty person. Least that's how it works when you are overdue with electricity and gas. I got chased for a debt that occurred 3 years after I'd moved out. I was pretty peeved, I'd asked the company to tell me how much I had left to pay. I thought it was sorted.  Nope. Chases me 3 years later for 100 plus a $10 chasing fee.

#33 born.a.girl

Posted 12 March 2015 - 06:49 AM

Just a word of caution:  sometimes when people have cashflow problems and are actually planning on paying you 'soon', they can get their back up if you force the issue.

If you threaten them with legal action, they know they have more time before it ever becomes a problem on their record, and they wait until the last gasp before paying, at which point you've possibly lost a fair chunk to the debt collection agency.

If they're doing this (paying very slowly) to a number of people, then they'll have other people threatening debt collection on them, too.

If they don't 'need' you to work for them again, you're not in as strong a position as the places/people who supply their essentials.

You say it's a small company - one method I used to use for them is to ring after normal business hours.  Often the only ones left are more senior people, and will actually answer the phone.

Good luck.

#34 Tokra

Posted 05 April 2015 - 05:22 PM

How did you go OP?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.