Fast labour story... (second labour after induction)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tomate1910

Posted 04 April 2015 - 11:44 AM

Seeing that my second labour was such  a different experience from my first I thought I'd share it here. (first was induced at 41w3d and after 6 hour of active labour and 2.5 hour software pushing ended in forceps trial in the theatre cause I couldn't push DS out).

Here is how it went second time ariund:

I was 40+6 and I had been having some more some less painful braxton hicks for a few nights but they always fizzled when I got up in the morning.
The night from first to second of April was quite stuffy in our house. DS woke up a lot and wanted water and I had been up and down 4 times since going to bed. By 4.30 ish  I woke up to painful braxton hicks again and after about 3 of them I thought I'd get up and see if they stay around or start timing. They never really were further then five minutes apart and by 5.30 I called the midwife who said it's probably still early and to get some pain relief and call again when they were 2-3 minutes. I called my friend  to come and look after DS and took a shower.
Contractions got stronger and I leaned against out kitchen table and moaned through them. I felt silly thinking that I thought my body should be able to handle this early labour stuff better than the my psst induction contractions but they were quit painful. By 6.30 DH made me call the hospital again as he felt I would be better off there. Contraction about 1.5-2 minutes apart now. They told us to come in.

The drive takes about 15 minutes and I was moaning through the contractions thinking the entire time about how I would ask for an epidural as soon as we got there.
I also remember looking into the car next to us at some lights and thinking how they were driving to work while I was moaning through a contraction.

I was clinging to my phone and contraction timer as it gave me some security and I could look forward to the seconds ticking by and the contractions ending. Just at some point they didn't and I thought "crap!" as a 3 minute 2 wave contraction rolled in... Then about 2 minutes from the hospital my water broke and the contraction went quiet. I remember having am ordinary discussion with DH about whether to park on the car park or in drop off zone...

Thank god we chose drop off... I barely got out of the car. It was one of those surreal moments that you know there are other people around but you  can't suppress your primal urges... Or your pain response and I screamed!

Into the elevator and I screamed again like a mad woman on my way out. There was only a cleaning lady at first but my second scream brought 4 midwives and nurses scrambling while I near collapsed on the floor. I think I did poop a little at that stage. One wisely told me to get on my knees and I screamed out the next contraction before being loaded on a chair and rushed to a birthing suite. I had to get up with another primal scream and hanging on to the back if the bed someone pulled my pants and undies down... ( I saw some poop so that's confirmed ;).) and then I asked if I could push cause I sure as hell  needed to.  " yes baby is coming now"

That sort changed my entire approach cause I now had purpose for the pain and I stopped screaming and with the midwife's guidance pushed DD out in two contractions.

That doesn't mean I grasped what was actually going on and couldn't believe I just birthed the slippery thing  they now wanted me to hold...  But I held her and tried to look at her and come to terms with what just happened... I cut her card and started joking with the midwives like it was something I do every day. The rest was pretty ordinary really... Except maybe that they threw all my clothes out including the socks I had put on at home and wouldn't take off to put my thongs on. So I give birth standing up with poopy pants around my ankles wearing sport socks in thongs. Now aren't you glad she wasn't born April 1st :p (7.21am April 2nd)

#2 BoysGalore+1girly

Posted 04 April 2015 - 02:20 PM

Well that's a great story to share
I was also lucky to have rapid births they definately feel surreal!
CONGRATULATIONS

#3 Guest_canadianmum_*

Posted 05 April 2015 - 11:25 PM

Wow!
Congratulations.

#4 Maserati Mum

Posted 20 April 2015 - 02:17 PM

I love reading stories like this! Thank you for sharing, and congratulations!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.