Empath?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 cheekymonkey20

Posted 11 April 2015 - 09:10 PM

Hoping for some guidance please.

Over the last year or so I have noticed that people naturally tell me their problems. I'm sensitive and a good listener and I constantly put myself in others shoes so that I can do something to help them. It has gotten much more intense lately with people I hardly know or have lost contact with for many years seeking me out and we automatically form this deep connection and they divulge their problems and often they tell me things like, I'm sorry, I don't know why I'm telling you this stuff but I feel so much better after talking to you. I feel quite good in that I've been able to help someone, then the intensity or our connection lessons. However, I fine that their negative emotions stay with me and prevent me from sleeping and it takes a while to "wear off" I then start to feel quite drained and sad. I guess I might be an empath?? There was a lot of intense stuff happening when I was 2 years old and a close family friend lost their baby under tragic circumstances and I grieved so hard for him (we were very close) I am now wondering if I was feeling the pain of the adults around me? Also,  for about 2 weeks after he died he possessed my body on and off to talk to his parents so they were able to get some closure I guess?? Anyway. I have a relative who has experienced a lot of trauma as a child and recently as well. Her and I are drawn to each other so she can share her feelings and I can support her. The rest of the family are very insular and she cant talk to them like she can me. The information she shares with me is very distressing and I have been able to get out of my own head since, I feel ungrounded and emotionally out of control. There is also the aspect of how I deal with my feelings regarding their treatment of her as well. I want to be there for her but I need to protect myself as well. Can anyone help me or tell me who can teach me to cope with this? Thanks

#2 .leahcar

Posted 11 April 2015 - 09:23 PM

It sounds like you are emotionally really exhausted and drained from these experiences. I think when you reach this point you have to put a barrier up for a while until you are able to rejuvenate and feel recharged again. It's very nice that you are such a good support for your friends and family but it can get overwhelming. I'm sort of similar to you, I feel everyone's pain, even people I don't know and it can get really depressing/overwhelming.

If you don't mind me asking, what did it feel like to be possessed?

#3 cheekymonkey20

Posted 11 April 2015 - 09:28 PM

Thanks for your response. I actually have no memory of the possession, this information has been relayed to me in great detail by the adults involved at the time. I would sit up in my cot every hour on the hour my eyes were milky white and he would talk through me with my voice but with the wisdom of an adult every though he was only 12 months old. His parents slept on the floor in my room every night while this was happening....

#4 Not Escapin Xmas

Posted 11 April 2015 - 09:30 PM

There is a psychological condition where you 'take on' the emotions of everyone around you. It's something to do with being able to read their body language so well that you physically FEEL what they feel. Sounds like you might be a bit like this. I'll see if I can remember what it's called.

And when I say 'condition', it's more that you're just a long way out on one end of the scale.

It does sound like you are a very special person :)

#5 .leahcar

Posted 11 April 2015 - 09:31 PM

View Postcheekymonkey20, on 11 April 2015 - 09:28 PM, said:

Thanks for your response. I actually have no memory of the possession, this information has been relayed to me in great detail by the adults involved at the time. I would sit up in my cot every hour on the hour my eyes were milky white and he would talk through me with my voice but with the wisdom of an adult every though he was only 12 months old. His parents slept on the floor in my room every night while this was happening....

Was it always a certain time, like 3 am? Thanks for sharing, it's really fascinating to me.

#6 cheekymonkey20

Posted 11 April 2015 - 09:32 PM

I think it was every 2 hours on the hour all though the night

#7 cheekymonkey20

Posted 11 April 2015 - 09:35 PM

View PostEscapin, on 11 April 2015 - 09:30 PM, said:

There is a psychological condition where you 'take on' the emotions of everyone around you. It's something to do with being able to read their body language so well that you physically FEEL what they feel. Sounds like you might be a bit like this. I'll see if I can remember what it's called.

And when I say 'condition', it's more that you're just a long way out on one end of the scale.

It does sound like you are a very special person :)

Does this mean I'm an empath? There other things going on as well, I feel a twinge at the base of my spine when I see someone hurt, loud noises kind of "go right through me" I feel the need for peace (but I never get any) and I keep needing to have a bath too.....

#8 .leahcar

Posted 11 April 2015 - 09:42 PM

I get a tingly feeling in my legs when I see someone hurt. I think it's connected to being overly empathetic to the point it disturbs your everyday life. Maybe you just need some solitude for a while to recharge? Do the baths make you feel peaceful temporarily? I get the feeling a negative spiritual entity is disturbing you.

#9 cheekymonkey20

Posted 11 April 2015 - 09:45 PM

Yes I agree. I'm just wondering if there is some sort of ritual or protection I can use because I have taken on her emotions as well as having strong emotions myself. I cant seem to work out what is hers and what is mine. I just want to "turn it off" for a while until she needs me again.....

#10 .leahcar

Posted 11 April 2015 - 09:56 PM

I am not sure if you are religious but I only know how to protect myself from these spirits through my religion, I would say a prayer along the lines of, Dear Father in Heaven please protect me from all evil, please cast away all evil away from me and out of me and out of this home, please watch over us, in the name of Jesus Christ Amen.

Sorry, I hope it doesn't seem like I'm evangelizing, it's just the only way I know how.

#11 Allosaurus

Posted 11 April 2015 - 10:01 PM

Do you think it might be useful to speak to a counsellor? They must have some techniques they use themselves.

#12 Mishu

Posted 11 April 2015 - 11:46 PM

Water is cleansing, that might be why you feel like having baths. I'd add some Epsom salts, I feel that this might help you release the negative energy you have taken on.

You do sound like an empath but you are going to have to learn how to protect yourself. I use visualisation to set a protective barrier around me when I deal with certain people and set an intention that I am not going to take on their energy. If you do some reading on protection you might some practices that will feel right for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.