Welcome to the March 2015 Parents Group

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#1 ~A2~

Posted 16 April 2015 - 02:52 PM

Hi everyone

Welcome to the Parents Group section of Essential Baby.

This is the place our Due In Groups graduate to once all babies have arrived.

Feel free to post and introduce yourself.

Thanks for being such an amazing group to moderate in the DIG area and all the best with your parenting journey - it is quite a ride.

Regards

Ali

#2 lelula

Posted 16 April 2015 - 09:07 PM

Gold! Hope everyone is doing well.

Getting the boys checked for reflux, they're super cranky and really fussy with feeds at the moment. Praying it's not, DD had it bad and it was just awful so hopefully it is a wonder week or something.

Sleep... oh how I miss you!

#3 Riotproof

Posted 17 April 2015 - 12:35 AM

Lozzy, oh I feel for you. I have no idea, but I hope you're getting some good twin strategies. I know friends of mine mentioned waking the other when one woke to feed, so they could kind of be on the same page at least.

Tabitha is doing well, making steady gains which I'm relieved by. I downloaded the wonder weeks app, even though I have the book I loaned it out, and we are embarking on leap 1. It's obvious now that I think about it, she was sooo sleepy today, but just couldn't get off to snooze tonight. Frustrating and upsetting for me.
She's very different to how ds was, at least in my memory. He was such a screamer, it was heartbreaking. Tabitha has two levels, she has the whinge and the omg get me NOW! I love it when she's almost asleep and then these blue eyes pop open ... Not really, but they are beautiful.

Hope everyone is doing well.

#4 jorjarenee

Posted 17 April 2015 - 04:47 AM

Lozzy I hope they sort out for you, fingers crossed it's just a phase.

Riot proof I'm so glad tabitha is going good :) how old is she now? Marni does the exact same thing, I think she's asleep and then one little eye cracks open. She doesn't want to miss a thing!

We are up for a 4am feed, we went to sleep at 11... Woohoo. Who needs a boob job when your baby sleeps for 5 hours!!! Lol, ouch.
Least I know there's PLENTY of milk in there.

Hope everyone is having a fantastic sleep tonight, I'm going back to bed with cuddles from little Marni. Isn't being a mum the best... X

#5 lelula

Posted 18 April 2015 - 12:15 AM

Ended up at the hospital this evening, Josiah has settled right down after being on Gaviscon for a few days but poor Caleb has been utterly miserable. He's only slept because he's so exhausted from crying, it's breaking my heart :( :( He's been put on Losec so hopefully that kicks in soon and gives the poor little guy some relief. And the rest of us some sleep!

I do wake the other when one wakes for a feed but it doesn't help their sleep patterns.  Not yet anyway, I guess they're only 6 weeks old. Just looking forward to everything falling into place and getting easier - two newborns are hard work!!

So pleased Tabitha and Marni are doing well, I love hearing how you both in particular are going :) So happy we all made it to this point with healthy bubs!

#6 jorjarenee

Posted 24 April 2015 - 12:21 AM

Hi lozzy- I read your reply days ago and have been trying to find time to reply! It's 12:14am here and after battling marni to sleep she is finally asleep on my chest. I was going to put her in her bassinet until I remembered that one day she will be independent and I will reminisce of these special times.
I love her so much. When people say you don't know love until you have a baby I completely understand now. I have a whole new love for my partner too. He is no longer just my partner but marnis dad, and I'm so grateful.

Lozzy I absolutely LOVE your boys names, I used to name all of my sims Josiah πŸ˜‚

I hope Caleb is feeling better now? I can't imagine how hard it is for you guys..

We got immunisations the other day and had a little grumpy bum for the rest of the day, I figured we would have a sleepless night so even went to the point of buying new pods for our coffee machine and the little darling ended up sleeping for 6 1/2 hours! Her longest stretch yet (normally she sleeps 5 hours at night, max of 6, she's done it twice). I'm guessing the needles had something to do with it but eh, fine by me! We had no other side effects thank god..

I hope everyone is doing well and loving every minute of this crazy yet wonderful journey!!

#7 Riotproof

Posted 28 April 2015 - 10:49 PM

So, ladies, how are we going?

It's such a struggle even though they are so beautiful, isnt it?
I'm wearing Tabitha for all her day sleeps and holding her asleep right now. I'm trying to strike up the courage to put her down and use the few minutes she lasts productively. Lol.

#8 jorjarenee

Posted 29 April 2015 - 12:24 AM

Hi riotproof!
I've just spent the last 20 mins trying to reply to you while also trying to settle Marni and wow it's been an effort. Lol.

Completely agree with it being a struggle, sometimes I just think what in the world have I gotten myself into. Then she falls asleep and is so precious I just cry. We've had smiles for 3 weeks and it brings tears to my eyes everytime.

I'm so in love with her, obviously.

I'm considering starting to wear Marni during her sleeps, she is fantastic at going to sleep, I wrap her up like a burrito and pop her in her swing, put on some background noise for her and she's out within 5 minutes, BUT id love for her to sleep for more than 20-40 mins so baby wearing could help us in that department.

They're still so little I don't even care about all the cheats I'm taking, like as I type this she's asleep on my chest lol. They're only this little once, I'm dreading the day she no longer wants to sleep on my chest.

#9 Riotproof

Posted 29 April 2015 - 10:30 PM

It is precious jorga. I regret worrying so much about sleep when ds was tiny, trying to do what the mchn's said.
Lozzy, I can't imagine how you're feeling. I'm lucky so far,  she does not scream anywhere as much as ds did. Not sure if that's me or her.
I have worked out that "ni" means I want milk now, but that's it.

#10 lelula

Posted 30 April 2015 - 11:54 AM

Honestly, I can't sugar-coat it - this is so very hard. We're getting help, both family support and medical help (taking them to a chiro & have domicillary nurses visiting who have been 1000x more helpful than the doctors and paediatricians we've seen) and we've had a bit of improvement but it's slow going. They actually did a 4 hour stretch last night which is AMAZING!!! Lucky for them, coz we've threatened them with a 2-for-1 deal on eBay if they don't start sleeping better ;) And yes, the smiles do make up for a lot! Hoping they soon have a lot more to smile about :)

Jorja, my little girl is 2.5 and is very much a mummy's girl - you still have years of cuddles ahead of you. And giving her love and security isn't cheating! Enjoy her, there's nothing wrong with that. Cuddling while she slept was my guilty pleasure, she got carried everywhere, demand fed, we eventually co slept and she has turned out beautifully if I do say so myself ;)

#11 Riotproof

Posted 30 April 2015 - 12:04 PM

Oh lozzy, twins are so hard. Damn, gotta come back later.

#12 jorjarenee

Posted 05 May 2015 - 12:56 AM

i can't imagine having 2. You are a bloody champion Lozzy.
Times will be tough of course, you hang in there. If you decide to sell them on eBay make sure you sell them for a decent amount, after the pregnancy you just had you deserve a good amount for them!

I have FINALLY started to get some independence back, for some reason I felt like it was wrong to leave her by herself. I would get to 5pm and realise I hadn't peed since yesterday. I felt so trapped.
Now I've come to the realisation that I can put her down while I go make food, or while I pee! Silly me.

I've been pumping like a mad woman because DP is having her for 3 hours tomorrow while I get my hair done. It'll be the longest amount of time I've spent away from her! So scary! I've wrote a huge big book of instructions.

How much are the boys weighing? What about tabitha?

Marni hasn't been weighed since 5 weeks because the MCHN thought we were doing great, our next checkup is on Wednesday. I'm scared to know how much she's put on because up until the past couple of weeks she has been skinny, now she has fat rolls EVERYWHERE!

#13 lelula

Posted 05 May 2015 - 09:01 PM

Lol jorja, I'd want enough to cover a tummy tuck so I don't like my chances on eBay ;) Although they're pretty darn cute :)

Oh, I found being a first time mum so nerve wracking! Rest assured they're resilient little creatures and you can't mess them up too badly - you're doing great hon, relax and enjoy your 'you' time tomorrow. Even though it is necessary for my recovery, I'm really enjoying my hour at pilates each week (especially the 10 minutes if relaxation time at the end!). No way would I have left DD like that at this age, and I definitely should have.

The boys had a check up today because of their problems with feeding lately to make sure they are tracking okay - both over 5kgs, which is awesome. Both are now on reflux meds as of yesterday after trying so many alternatives - kinesiology, probiotics, homeopathy, every OTC colic/reflux treatment under the sun. At least I know I tried everything before medicating them, I just want them to be happy and see more of their beautiful smiles.

Let us know how your girls are going!

#14 Riotproof

Posted 05 May 2015 - 10:40 PM

Hello! I'm so glad to hear you're bitg doing well.
Lozzy, so sorry about the reflux. I hope the medication is what's needed to make them happy babies. Ds was such a screamer, I don't know how much of it was me or whether it was a potential that his allergies started that early? And we didn't realise. I spent so much of his early time worried I wasn't doing it right, until I finally decided that maybe he was screaming because he needs me, and the nurses could take their little books and bugger off.

Jorga, you sound very blissed out. It's nice to hear. I don't actually remember leaving ds for the first time, and though I have left Tabitha for an hour or so to grocery shop, I find I don't want to Atm. It's definitely okay to put her down to eat, though I am loving my sling. I'm annoyed I didn't get one with ds, it suits my earth mother sensibilities. Though he possibly would have hated it anyway.

Tabitha is doing very well, and still reasonably chilled out as long as I'm near here. Still screaming in the car. We had her paediatrian check up and he's pleased with her. She's 4.3 kilos and doing so well. I do need to take her for a blood test and an ultrasound on her hips because they clicked a little, so hopefully all is well there.
Though, goodness, it's hard getting out of the house in the mornings. I have never been a morning person at the best of times.

I'm having huge success with this method to get dd to sleep.
http://www.babycente...hin_10373838.bc
She really seems to love being swaddled, and when it's time for sleep, she visibly relaxes once swaddled. And she loves the White noise, I'm using ah app on my phone that's actually pink noise, because apparently that's better, though I've no idea why.

#15 jorjarenee

Posted 06 May 2015 - 06:08 PM

Ugh I'm having such a crappy day and need to vent.

I applied for a personal loan last week, as I desperately need a new car. I drive my sisters 20 year old car that's literally falling apart. It isn't safe whatsoever for a baby. It has 300,000kms and is overall worth about $20. It's disgusting and not to mention embarrassing.

I feel really sad having to take marni in it.

I can EASILY afford a loan but as soon as my bank saw unemployed they turned me down which is so hurtful. I know it's not personal but I'm really upset, I hate my car so much and everyone mocks me for having such a crappy car. I know it's not up to anyone else but I don't want to drive a piece of crap anymore when I can afford a nice car.

I've been lying in bed for the past 2 hours crying because I don't know what to do. I don't expect The car to last any longer than a couple of months and nothing will be different. I'll still be unemployed so I guess I'll have to go without a car.
I feel like such a failure, I always promised myself I could never let my kids miss out and now I can't even gaurentee we'll have a form of transport in the next couple of months.

I'm so hurt :(

#16 becisago

Posted 07 May 2015 - 12:37 PM

Jorja that is so crappy! Credit checks can be so ridiculous. While it is not a car I am waiting for Optus to do a credit check on me because I am switching from Virgin. I'm annoyed at all the personal information they are requesting when all they need to do is check with Virgin to see that I always pay (and in fact often over-pay) by phone account. Plus they know I have worked for the same company for 18 years. I even have a current home phone and internet with them (although it is under my partners name) which we want the phones to be bundled with.  Yet they need my medicare, car licence and bank account details...grrr Credit checks really s**t me!  I hope you are feeling better today? Can you try another lender?

Sorry to take so long to join this group! Rory will be 6 weeks old tomorrow. He was so easy for the first few weeks, but then started catnapping and getting a little more unsettled during the day. Unlike my first son he seems to get really annoyed when his milk isn't coming out super fast. He pulls and pushes and gets agro when all he needs to do is keep sucking patiently and another big flow will come. His way of feeding seems to be creating less milk so by the end of the day he is really not happy with me!! He is still putting on weight though so he is getting enough...he just wants more!

Riotproof - Rory is also getting his hips checked on Monday by a Paediatrician and probably a follow up ultrasound on his adrenal glands. Lozzylots was reassuring with an earlier comment about her children's hips...thanks Lozzy!

Thanks for the giggle Lozzy about selling the twins on eBay! Like Riotproof said they really are a struggle but so unbelievably beautiful! I am so grateful that I got the chance to have another one after two years of trying. Even if he has just now woken up after a 28 minute nap. Time to re-settle him, see you later.

#17 jorjarenee

Posted 07 May 2015 - 12:59 PM

Hi becisago! Yep super crappy, I wish they would be a little more personal and realise I'm a mum, I can afford it, i want a car to be able to take my daughter places. It sucks!

I can understand why they have to go through everything but I'm not one of those people that won't pay my payments πŸ˜‘

Eh! Marni was 9 weeks yesterday, she is a pro catnapper!
I had my mirena put in yesterday at 9:30, we would normally be going back to bed for an hour at that time so I missed out on sleep and was absolutely exhausted come 10pm. I'm horrible, I let marni cry to sleep because I physically couldn't stay awake. She was fed, changed, warm, just overtired so I wasn't starving her or anything. I still feel bad though.

I wonder how long after I fell asleep that she calmed down. I was cuddling her so not neglected haha!!

Ahh feeling exhausted was super horrible. Makes me realise how much I need that morning nap with her!

I got into a slump the other day of feeling really ugly, always with my hair up, minimal makeup, clothes from yesterday (perfect description of a mum lol) but I love taking care of myself so went and got my hair done and yesterday got my eyebrows done! Also fake tanned. I feel like a million dollars it's amazing how much more energy I have when I feel like I look okay.

lol that's me done. My catnapper is awake too! Can't wait til she learns to sleep longer. Occasionally she will sleep for 3 hours but I STILL don't get anything done because I'm sitting there waiting for her to wake up haha

#18 lelula

Posted 07 May 2015 - 06:38 PM

Riotproof, DD was a screamer (she had silent reflux too but diagnosed later than the boys) and hated slings. And the pram. And the car. And being held while I sat down... You get the picture. So a sling might not have worked for your DS. I've got one who loves it and one just like DD.

I'm also using pink noise this time, I started using it because it was louder than the white noise on the app I'm using, but something about the pitch seems to block out more sounds and the boys settle with it quicker - I'd never even heard of pink (or brown!) noise before I downloaded this app.

I've found I am having to parent very differently this time by necessity - much more routine/schedule based rather than attachment/demand like with DD. It's hard but has to be done for everyone's sake, and my sanity.

Jorja, don't give up based on one rejection! My in laws are both unemployed and have managed to get loans, and we got a home loan after being laughed at by one bank! I can PM you details of a broker if you like? There's loads of lenders out there and brokers can usually get better deals. Take heart sweetie, there's going to be someone happy to take your money ;)

And yes becisago, and Riotproof, Caleb had to have his hip scanned as did DD because of a clicky hip at birth,  and both had resolved by the time they were 6 weeks, no follow up needed.

Well beautiful mums, these two little munchkins are demanding my attention too - this post has taken hours to write, lol, and now it's witching hour (aka s**t hour) at lozzylots' so better get them ready for bed!!

#19 jorjarenee

Posted 08 May 2015 - 03:02 AM

We started using white noise tonight and it was lovely to fall asleep with her to the sound of 'the ocean' but she woke straight up when the sound stopped (it has auto off after a period of time) so I got a 5 minute catnap woohoo.

I've been so exhausted at night time lately which is marnis 'I'm going to cry everytime you even look at me!' time! I think also knowing that I'm in for an hour or 2 of her demanding at me is psychologically draining.. Oh well. All worth it!

I'm not giving up on the loan yet, mum has said she'll go gaurentor for me. Was torture yesterday as our town had a local public holiday so I couldn't go in and see them!

Well marni has just finished her feed so I'm off to go back to sleep with her. Hope everyone is having a great sleep tonight!!

#20 Eliloulou

Posted 08 May 2015 - 07:39 AM

Hi everyone how are you all? Hope you and your babies are well! I'm sorry i haven't been back in to update for a while, this baby business is so time consuming!
I have a beautiful baby girl, her name is Elise Mary Elsa and she was born 31/03 at 7:50am. 8lb 2oz. She is so so beautiful I am so in love with her! She has been a pretty cruisy baby but doesn't sleep. I am averaging 3 hours broken sleep a night at the moment and she catnaps during the day so I don't get a chance to nap myself during the day, and will only sleep in my arms. Feeling pretty out of it at the moment! I am sure it will pass soon enough but I am thinking about getting a referral to a sleep school to see if I can get some help. As i suspected due to my hormone inbalances, I'm not producing much breastmilk so she is predominantly on formula. I still give her as much breastmilk as I have and top up with formula, but I can tell my supply is drying up and shes now about 90+% on formula. As much as i tried to prepare myself that this might happen, in reality its hard for me to deal with. I am getting better though but still feel so sad that she is missing out on all the natural goodness she can only get from my milk. Still the baby needs food so what else can i do? I can't take the medication to boost my supply due to surgery I've had on my stomach, and I can't afford $25 for 10 lactation cookies!! I keep meaning to make some myself but when I get a moment to myself with sleeping baby there is so much to do, I just don't find the time. Elise has to go for a hip ultrasound as well this Tuesday, but because I had hip issues as a child they want to ensure its not hereditary. Anyway another long winded post from me, that's a big hello!

Edited by Chaos & Bliss, 08 May 2015 - 07:42 AM.

#21 lelula

Posted 08 May 2015 - 02:57 PM

Chaos, couldn't read and not reply, re the feeding issues. Disclaimer: I am 100% pro breastfeeding. But I had so many dramas with bf'ing my DD (also knew ahead of her birth I could have problems) and her and the boys all had expressed milk followed by formula top ups, and fully formula fed by 10 & 9 weeks respectively. Even being prepared for it doesn't stop you feeling sad, you want to give your babies the best and it's drilled into us from the day we fall pregnant that breast is best. But please don't let it consume you - you are doing brilliantly and your little girl is getting the nourishment she needs. How and what she's fed actually doesn't matter (unless it's coke or red cordial - that's probably frowned upon). In a year's time it will barely cross your mind, and people stop asking how you're feeding after a while. Formula isn't the evil so many make it out to be, we're lucky to have such a great alternative when breastfeeding doesn't work out. I'll get off my soapbox now ;)

Jorja, our white noise runs all night! It goes on at the boys' bedtime and switched off when the last person gets up. Hey, how did Marni go at her check up? Sorry if I overlooked it if you already posted! Is she tracking well for weight?

#22 jorjarenee

Posted 08 May 2015 - 06:07 PM

Yes chaos breastfeeding is super hard!! I'm am so surprised we're still going great, I would never look down on someone for not breastfeeding. It's been a hard journey and it doesn't work out for everyone. You're feeding your child and I think that's all that matters at the end of the day.

You tried :)

Lozzy our maternal health nurse stood me up, she was going to visit at home so I sat around all day on Wednesday waiting for her, no show. She called today and told me she double booked herself and forgot to call me, not really good enough. I have a little baby who I kept up for an hour waiting for her.
So frustrating. That's 2 weeks in a row it's been post poned, she hasn't been weighed since 5 weeks and will be 10 weeks at her next visit. I wish I could just tel them not to worry about it but want to make sure she's doing well. I know she is because she's such a little fatty but better safe than sorry!

#23 Riotproof

Posted 11 May 2015 - 08:23 AM

Oh chaos, don't feel bad. I found that nursing tea and oatmeal even in the form of Anzac biscuits helped boost supply for me. I don't like those boobie bickies, let alone that they come from Pinky McKay. It seems awful to me to prey on vulnerable women, and selling them stuff for what should be a free activity.

Bec, what a fiesty one! I wonder if some skin to skin might help your flow speed up.

Lozzy, I really think that's the only way you could do it. Otherwise you'd drive yourself crazy.

Jorga, that's good news about the your mum. I wondered if she might be able to help.

I hope you all had a nice Mother's Day yesterday, but can I tell you, it's a lot more fun once they're older. DS was so proud of his gift he made and the one he bought with DH. I find it easier to expect nothing, but it's lovely to be acknowledged.

#24 jorjarenee

Posted 11 May 2015 - 09:39 AM

Thanks riotproof :) happy Mother's Day to you all as well.
Yesterday was the first day that I woke up and couldn't actually believe there was a perfect little human that I made laying right beside me. It was like it finally sunk in.

No better present than healthy children!

#25 Riotproof

Posted 16 May 2015 - 12:02 AM

That's lovely, Jorga. Did you end up seeing the nurse? I wouldn't specifically keep the baby up to see her, out can wake her to weigh and etc. once you're in the appointment.

I hope everyone is doing well. Not much to report here, she seems to be waking up more which is nice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.