Welcome to the March 2015 Parents Group

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#51 MrsPuddleduck

Posted 05 June 2015 - 08:47 AM

Thinking of you and your boys, Lozzy. Sending healing vibes your way.

#52 jorjarenee

Posted 05 June 2015 - 09:41 PM

Oh lozzy I'm so sorry for you guys.. Lots of cuddles! Xx

#53 lelula

Posted 07 June 2015 - 06:15 AM

Thanks ladies, we're doing ok. I'm at the hospital with Caleb as he was struggling with his breathing early this morning - lots of coughing, wheezing, gasping - and I got scared. He's fine, by the time the ambulance arrived he'd calmed down and we just brought him in to be sure. Times like this make you feel such a heavy weight being a parent, these tiny creatures are totally our responsibility and it's kind of terrifying.

Josiah is alright too, his antibiotics are working and his lungs are clear now, we caught it really early. I think that has just made me paranoid because Caleb sounds worse than he did, and he's smaller than Josiah so seems more frail. But hopefully they're on the mend now :)

#54 becisago

Posted 07 June 2015 - 07:39 AM

How scary!! Also thinking of you Lozzy.
Bub and I have a cold, but if it turns into a cough I will freak out....you did the right thing taking Caleb to hospital

#55 Riotproof

Posted 14 June 2015 - 09:07 AM

Lozzy, that's great news!

How is everyone now?
We are in the midst of the twelve week spurt, possibly a wonder week? I think she's been spoiling me, because I'd forgotten the utter despair at 2am when the baby just won't sleep.

#56 lelula

Posted 14 June 2015 - 10:32 AM

Getting better - not 100% yet but much better than they were.

Oh you poor thing, it's a shock to the system when they've slept well for a while then suddenly stop. I remember DD doing that (the boys haven't spoiled me yet ;) ) and that was when we started co sleeping! Have you found your kids follow the wonder weeks? I could never pick what was teething or reflux or a growth spurt or a wonder week and eventually gave up trying to work them out!

What is everyone doing now as far as wrapping for sleep? Caleb went into a sleeping bag weeks ago and really easily transitioned from muslin wrap to love-to-dream swaddle to sleeping bag. My daughter went straight from muslin to sleeping bag at 8 weeks. Josiah no such luck - he still sleeps better swaddled but escapes them and scratches his face. Not sure what to try with him.

#57 Riotproof

Posted 14 June 2015 - 03:34 PM

:) I went back to bed when she did at 9.30 this morning. That is the benefit of a bigger age gap, I suppose.
It's funny you mention cosleeping. I've never had a problem bringing her in to feed when she wakes in the wee hours, but she just drops off. I felt like I was too tired to safely do that last night, especially when I found myself getting angry. So, she ended up sleeping 3 -8.30, and I feel like I've been hit by a bus.
Then we both slept from 9.30 for a couple of hours and she's back down now. I might try and catch a little nap before she wakes.

I'm still swaddling using the Velcro ones, she really likes it, so I'm reluctant to take it off until I have to. She also seriously loves the pink noise, and I think I sleep better with it too. DS used to scratch himself too, drove me crazy. I used to do the double wrap, where a smaller wrap was used to secure arms down and the larger one wrapped as normal on top. I also loved the suits with built in mittens.

Yes, I do notice it. More with her than I did with DS, but she's a much calmer baby overall. Or maybe I'm better at anticipating needs? I don't find myself thinking "oh I just fed/changed you, you can't need it again" whereas I did with DS. Even now, I'm sitting here, she's been asleep for 90 minutes or so, and I can feel the milk coming in. So, she's probably taking more milk.

#58 jorjarenee

Posted 15 June 2015 - 02:46 PM

I always go back to sleep with Marni in the mornings around 9:30 too. She only sleeps for around an hour but it makes a huge difference.

We stopped swaddling a few weeks ago, I put her to bed without being swaddled (I was having a horrible day) and she slept like normal. At night she sleeps in her ergo cocoon but with arms out. She loves her arms out.
I often catch her sleeping with her arms flat next to her and her little pinkies sticking up to the roof. So cute.

Glad to hear the boys are on the mend lozzy .. Hope tabitha just had an off night and slept better for you riotproof.

Sorry for the lack of posts, time gets away very easily!

#59 Riotproof

Posted 22 June 2015 - 10:48 AM

I'm very reluctant to stop swaddling before I have to. It's such a big cue for her, and she's sleeping lovely chunks at night . Though she has discovered her hands, and wants to suck them to sleep, so I've switched to the wrap me up thingies. They do get a bit gross though.

How are we all doing?

Edited by Riotproof, 22 June 2015 - 10:48 AM.

#60 lelula

Posted 23 June 2015 - 10:42 AM

Thanks for suggesting the double wrap Riotproof - I've discovered a combination of wrapping his arms and putting him in an ergococoon is working for now. I'm reluctant to stop swaddling too, those precious blocks of sleep have been hard won!

Boys seem to have regressed again but no idea if it's reflux/formula related (yucky nappies are back), a wonder week or even maybe teething - DD started early and we've got lots of finger chewing and dribbling going on, and Josiah definitely has teeth visible in his bottom gums. They're also coughing again so they're sick again. Last Wednesday they had a really bad night so our solution to everybody's misery was to pack the car and drive from Adelaide to the Grampians on a total whim. Got back yesterday. I think our families thought we were crazy but we needed a serious change of scenery!

#61 jorjarenee

Posted 28 June 2015 - 11:46 AM

Wow lozzy that's a huge trip!!

The boys just can't catch a break can they! I hope they're feeling better now.

All smooth sailing with marni and I still.
I got a blocked duct last week which was almost as bad as labor! Ouch!!!! Went and saw a lactation consultant and she was able to fix it for me with a very strong pump. Thank god!!!

Marni sleeps in her ergo cocoon also, it's a 2.5tog. Our house is absolutely freezing!

We are moving soon, so I'm a little bit anxious. Still don't know when but hopefully soon!

#62 Riotproof

Posted 30 June 2015 - 07:31 PM

I suck at replying here, so sorry. I read, think of all the things I want to say, and inevitably et distracted.

Lozzy, I'm so impressed. I would find that such a difficult thing to do. It might seem crazy, but I'm glad it helped. I'm following you elsewhere on the boards, and I'm hoping you get your answers soon. It has to be such a draining thing.

Jorga, that's exciting, where are you moving to? I was thinking about you the other day, actually. We use a lot of dribble bibs here.

We're doing really well, but dd just had her second hip ultrasound and it's not quite normal. Other than that, she's still a bouncing bundle.
I think I must be more intuitive than before, because i can predict a wonder week a few days before I get the little popup . They seem to ting really true for her.

Gotta go, but first, I will actually hit go.

#63 lelula

Posted 01 July 2015 - 08:49 PM

Thanks Riotproof. A bit tough at the moment, thank heavens for the beautiful EB ladies who are helping me and/or going through the same things. Sorry I haven't posted here much either, I too am reading but a little preoccupied on the other boards (and life with twins!)

Glad to hear all is good with you both. I hope Tabitha's hip is nothing serious.

#64 Riotproof

Posted 06 July 2015 - 01:36 PM

Rah. Rah. Argh.

That's our new soundtrack here. Lol.

How are you both?

Lozzy, how is the new formula now?

Edited by Riotproof, 06 July 2015 - 01:36 PM.

#65 lelula

Posted 12 July 2015 - 03:18 AM

Sick again/still. Caleb finally got his 4 month immunisations on Friday, Josiah is still too unwell. Just this terrible cough they can't get rid of, Joey's is worse though. They're both on steroid inhalers and having ventolin through a nebuliser (imagine how much they love that...). I'm sooo done with this winter, we've never been so sick! I just want my boys to be well for more than a couple of days :( Riotproof, we've gone back to the original formula as it wasn't making any difference; their CMPI actually seems under control though - I'm thinking their reflux has been exacerbated by sickness not the formula which is good really. Oh, and definitely teething! They both have a sharp little tooth just under the surface now, so hoping they'll pop through and leave them alone for a bit!

Riotproof, what's the plan for Tabitha's hip? Glad to hear she's doing well :)

Jorja, you poor thing with the blocked duct. Awful, awful pain isn't it? How is Miss Marni going?

Hope you are both well and winter isn't treating you badly. Sorry I've been MIA, just trying to cope with all this sickness and it's taking its toll. My mum was exposed to slap face recently (my sister's kids) so she's stayed away this week and I've really missed her help!!

P.S. lol to the rah rah Riotproof

#66 Riotproof

Posted 13 July 2015 - 10:09 PM

Oh Lozzy! You were up late/early.

I'm not coherent at those wake ups. Lol.
Hope you all get better soon. We have actually been so blessed this winter. I was worried, but a cough for DS is the worst we've had. Touch tremendous amounts of wood! Reflux is so sucky. Do you have them in stroller mode yet? I can't remember when I did it with DS, but I'm sure he was bigger.

Jorga, I meant to say before, you can sometimes massage them out under the hot water in the shower. Just like doing a breast exam. It's not something I've done often, but it is really very helpful.

I'm not sure what the plan is yet, we've got a paed appointment Friday. I suspect he'll put her in a harness, and while there's probably worse things, I think my little girl is going to hate it. She's trying to roll over and gets to her side, but can't quite get there. And she's having earnest conversations with us, it's so cute! She's obsessed with lights too.

#67 lelula

Posted 16 July 2015 - 12:40 PM

Oh, I was always nervous about having to put DD or DS1 in a harness, as you say there's worse things and it's necessary but it's awful doing something that makes them uncomfortable when they don't understand.

Both boys are having a crack at rolling, just that last little bit and they give up! On our paed's advice we've started solids, I did so much research with DD and ended up doing BLW at 6 months so this is very different to what I know and what I'd intended on doing with the boys. But they seem ready, they've been so hungry the last couple of weeks and they've gained weight beautifully and have lost their tongue thrust reflex so I'm less nervous about it knowing they're showing enough ready signs. And they really love it - DD at this age couldn't have been less interested!

Riotproof, my DD hated laying flat (actually she hated her stroller full stop) so we went straight for a double stroller for them and have had them slightly inclined since they gained head control. Now they sit about half up unless they're asleep. All 3 of them have had amazing head control/neck strength from birth so we've been able to incline them quite early, which is good given all 3 have been refluxers.

Jorja, how's things with you?

#68 jorjarenee

Posted 20 July 2015 - 10:34 PM

Sorry have had so much to catch up on, I forgot to check back for ages, that's crazy that the boys are on solids! Big boys now. Marni isn't interested so I'll wait a month or so before I try her, she eyed off my piece of steak last night so I let her have a lick and she almost gagged and it barely touched her lip! Haha poor girl! How dare I put food near her mouth.

We're going well. No problems other than her first cold the other week which was horrible. Every time I tried to give her panadol she gagged so much she would spew. Darn winter!

Hope you guys haven't frozen!!

#69 lelula

Posted 21 July 2015 - 04:56 PM

It's awful when they're sick :( Hope she's feeling better. The boys have had so many different things syringed into them I'm sure they think medication is just another food source ;) And she's onto a good thing with that boob milk, why should she want anything else?? Clever cookie. Good to hear from you. Let's bring on summer (lol, last year we were dreading summer and wondering how we'd cope!)

Edited by lozzylots, 21 July 2015 - 04:57 PM.

#70 Riotproof

Posted 21 July 2015 - 10:03 PM

Lozzy, I'm so glad the solids are going well. Are they keeping more milk down?

I'm a bit :/ at how different it is now.
Dd's paed said "she's 4 months, so you can start solids now?" Ummm really? She seems so little for that. I did not tell him that I think I'm too lazy to clean up purée/make purée/spoon puree. I'm just not ready to change my approach that much, is that crazy?
"When were you planning to start?" Sometime between 5 and 6 months. Probably smack bang, tbh.
I've always thought that unless they can sit up in the
high chair, propped is fine, it's too early.

I think a little part of me is worried she will be allergic, and I'm also sad to say goodbye to her baby days. She's my last baby, and there's something bittersweet about that. She still licks if you touch her mouth, so my guess is she's not ready.

So much happening with the rolling. Still gets halfway, but can't push herself over. And she's getting so p*ssy about it.

Jorga, that first sickness is horrible. I still remember it. Ds had a stomach bug, threw up on me, and ended up being breastfed, sleeping on me for hours.

Edited by Riotproof, 21 July 2015 - 10:09 PM.

#71 lelula

Posted 22 July 2015 - 11:21 PM

Totally get where you're coming from, I realise now how naively I went into starting solids with DD, throwing everything at her at once assuming she'd be fine with it - lucky for me she was! I am much more hesitant now, waiting for each new thing to cause reactions that I know are entirely possible this time. On the other hand, I'm delighted to see them truly content and really enjoying something (yes, definite improvement in the milk feeds since starting too) after weeks/months of being unwell and I think it'll take a while for that novelty to wear off, so for now at least I'm happy to do the chopping, steaming, pureeing, cleaning, spooning, cleaning again (not that the feeding is too messy, little piggies hardly waste a mouthful). And although they are without doubt my last babies, I don't think I'll mourn the passing of their baby days if I'm entirely honest! I don't see the point in rushing if they, and to a certain extent you, are not ready though. I've never got that.

#72 jorjarenee

Posted 26 July 2015 - 06:21 PM

We survived the sickness thank gosh! Was so hard to see her so miserable.
She is back to her normal funny self.

My Mchn also told me to start solids whenever, I really don't feel as though she needs it but I'm not sure if it's just me trying to hang on to my 'baby'.. Everyone else that had babies around the time I had marni have started, a couple due to bad weight gain, another due to the fact he's almost 11kg and needed more (he's a BIG baby, obviously)
She's quite content on her boobs though, she is sleeping great at night, and has started to let me cuddle her back to sleep rather than the usual comfort suck.

I'm not sure how I'll deal with the mess although I'm excited to go to the market on a Sunday and get all the fresh produce and make some food for her! Everyone told me I wouldn't be bothered to make our own food but I can't wait!!!

Hope everyone's surviving in this cold weather, I don't think our heater has been off for 2 weeks straight! Not looking forward to the power bill but would rather be warm and broke 😂

#73 Riotproof

Posted 26 July 2015 - 06:45 PM

Hello Jorga,

I was just coming to say, goodbye 0000's? They still fit but not easily when she's cranky, and that's my barometer.

You might be interested in something called baby led weaning for solids. It's something I intend to try and do again this time and it worked really, really well for Rowan. It's all about self feeding and moderating their own intake of healthy food.
They need to be able to sit with minimal support in the high chair and generally start closer to 6 months. DS was 5.5 months when he pinched a stick of cucumber from my plate, so we started then.

Lozzy, I'm so glad to hear you sounding happy again. I had my friends over with their almost 5 year old twins yesterday, and they are such sweet, charming girls.

What else is happening? Lots of trying to roll, and being very loud here. Enjoying particular toys more than others, she is enamoured by her glows worm thing. It's not the same as the 80's one I had, but that's what we're calling it.
We've got an appointment with the hip clinic in a couple of weeks, so just waiting on that. And I still need to do 6 month vax. Have to get to the GP.

#74 lelula

Posted 26 July 2015 - 10:05 PM

I love love loved baby led weaning, my daughter is a brilliant eater and I strongly feel it has a lot to do with how she was weaned. I'm enjoying feeding the boys, it's something different, but look forward to taking a more relaxed approach soon. Whatever you decide to do jorja I'm sure you'll enjoy it - we're big foodies so introducing food to our kids has always been fun :)

Thanks Riotproof, it's still a bit rough, but it's nice to have good days now :) Both boys rolled this week! Caleb on Friday, Josiah today and Caleb rolled back today. Josiah is making hilarious squeaky noises that he is practicing very loudly. So great to see them developing, I love watching them learn new things and see new differences between them, they're such different little personalities with distinct preferences (good and bad!!)

Jorja, whoa to the 11kg baby!! He must be a little chubber!

#75 jorjarenee

Posted 04 August 2015 - 12:01 AM

Holy moly riotproof, 0000s?! That's amazing. Marni is in 00s already!
I have looked into baby led weaning this week and am definitely going to do it!

Marni also rolled last week, now she doesn't stop rolling 😐😐

Hope you are both going good. Lozzy you sound much more relaxed now you are out of the newborn stage. Those poor boys couldn't catch a break!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.