Private Midwife who isnt anti intevention

6 replies to this topic

#1 babyblinky

Posted 20 May 2015 - 05:08 PM

Does any one have any experience with a private midwife in Melbourne who isn't anti intervention?

I met with a midwife from a private group this morning but I was so uncomfortable with the midwife I was in tears the entire consultaction.

I'm aiming to Labour at home for as long as possible and because of some of the complications we experienced early on and I have no family here I was thinking a private midwife would offer extra support and my OB at RWH agreed it was a good idea.

The problem was this midwife seemed more interested in ticking boxes on a form and signing me up to their program than understanding my needs and feelings. She also was anti establishment to the point of almost being bitter about it whereas I see a time and place for medical intervention as needed and I don't want a natural birth at any cost but rather the safest birth for me.

Thoughts anyone?

#2 Jack's Mummy

Posted 20 May 2015 - 08:49 PM

Have you thought about a doula instead of a private midwife?

#3 MoonPie

Posted 20 May 2015 - 09:15 PM

I had one in Perth, so no help to you, but just wanted to encourage you to keep looking. She had admitting rights at the public hospital, wouldn't even consider a HBAC, and was on the same page as me in terms of intervention: that is, keep us both safe, but empower me. When push came to shove in labour and things went pear shaped I trusted her 100000% and was able to concentrate on surviving each minute while she dealt with the technical stuff.

#4 lucky 2

Posted 20 May 2015 - 09:33 PM

Hi,

I've moved your topic to the Doulas and Midwives forum, a link will remain in this forum.

I hope you get some great feedback.

Kind regards,

lucky 2

#5 whitepoplar

Posted 21 May 2015 - 01:16 PM

I have replied you xoxo

#6 babyblinky

Posted 21 May 2015 - 01:27 PM

Thanks to people replying to me - please feel free to PM me your recommendations - if that is allowed.

I did consider a doula but would feel more comfortable with a qualified midwife.

#7 lucky 2

Posted 21 May 2015 - 10:04 PM

I think whichever mw you choose she/he will have the safety of your baby and yourself at the heart of her practice, it's a part of the job description. To practice in an unsafe manner is to risk a trip to the Coroners Court (as a worst case scenario), loss of Registration and livelihood.
A mw can be anti the "medicalization of labour and childbirth" and still be safe, ie identify deviations from normal and act accordingly.
But of course you need to find one who wont make you cry!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.