Jump to content
Over 40 and TTC with IVF/ICSI #28
107 replies to this topic
Posted 28 September 2015 - 04:17 PM
Hi GL - FS#2 has taken me off Elevit and has given me specific supplements. With everything he gave both DH and I, he gave us research to read as well! It was a tad overwhelming, but useful as both DH and I work in the health field and conduct research ourselves, so we do believe in best practice.
With DH he treated things like excessive white blood cells (FS#1 had ignored this) and the supplements he has been given are backed up by evidence. He took DH off Menovit. Also he has focussed on temperature of his anatomy - although that might be for DH's motility issues.
I spoke to FS#1 and FS#2 about embryo banking and PDG. FS#1 wasn't keen, but FS#2 had obviously heard of the practice and has used it with some couples. I didn't ask FS#2 about the frozen rates. FS#1 was against freezing old embies.
The other advantage I'd see to a FET is that I'd like to do a flush and scratch, but couldn't do that this month. If we had a good embryo I'd then like to do that, before the ET, to maximise our chances.
I'd book a second opinion, although I did give it 3 goes before switching.
So nerve wracking!
Posted 29 September 2015 - 01:06 AM
G - That's interesting about temperature of his anatomy - my DH is hot spa crazy and makes a joke out of it when I say that's really bad for sperm! I've read about it, it's not some old wives tale!
I think th embryo banking thing is an ethical question for each FS and clinic. I haven't specifically asked about it yet but think at our age it should be something they let you consider. I had a d and c in June as had excess fluid in my uterus with no obvious reason - my FS said that would be good for implantation but now I've lost the benefit because even if I get a normal embryo too much time will have passed to get any benefit. I think it's a good idea to do a scratch - it seems to help a lot of people.
Posted 29 September 2015 - 03:53 PM
Hey GL. God bless DHs! Temperature is definitely not an old wives tale. That's why they are designed the way they are! FS#2 was very keen for DH to wear boxers, rinse with cold water after bathing, and he has to sit on an ice-pack for 30-60 minutes/day. He has been really good about it I must say.
I'm a bit keen on the scratch and flush. I'm nervous we won't have anything to freeze, but in FS#2's opinion if they don't make it to day 5, they won't make it. I think FS#1 always wanted something to transfer, but the 2WW is so awful that I only want to do that when there is a chance. I think FS#2 might also let us go back-to-back if there isn't a transfer, so we might see about that too. Get's expensive though!
Edited by Gagingi, 29 September 2015 - 03:54 PM.
Posted 29 September 2015 - 04:09 PM
Hi G - I know what you mean. I only had two get to day 5 or day 6 as it turned out. Not great starting from 19 however I lost about 8 overnight which 'disintegrated' from being injected. Bit concerned by that as apparently it can be due to poor technical skill of the embryologist. I hope that wasn't the case but I guess I'll never know.
My FS also says if they don't make it to day 5 they wouldn't have made it anyway so I guess we have to go with that theory. I agree I'd rather not go through the 2 ww with false hope. This last cycle I tried naturally tracking my ovulation. Of course my period came like clockwork on day 28. Didn't stop me analysing every little thing over the last 2 weeks! I hate it.
I'm trying not to think about the cost at present but I've only done one cycle so haven't broken the bank yet. Not quite sure yet what my monetary limit is. Will just take it as it comes I guess.
I say go the scratch and flush.
Posted 29 September 2015 - 04:17 PM
Hi GL. I've always disliked AF, but now I hate her! Sorry you didn't have any luck this month. I'm sure you are like me and agree we need to give it every chance.
The main reason I haven't done the flush and scratch this month is that you have it the week after ovulation. So I want to talk to FS#2 about that some more, as he also told us to try naturally and those two things aren't compatible.
Whilst I'm sure that some technicians aren't the best, you are with a very reputable clinic, so you'd hope they are competent. I think again mature eggs are more likely to disintergrate. I'm so sick of the AMA thing! FS#2 commented looking at my egg numbers that it's an egg quality issue.
I'll pm you as well, re cost.
Posted 14 October 2015 - 06:07 PM
G - how are things going with your cycle. Did you do the scratch and flush?
Edited by Green lady, 14 October 2015 - 06:07 PM.
Posted 23 October 2015 - 05:26 PM
How are you going? Are you well into your cycle?
AFM. We had egg pickup on Wed - they expected 10, got 21, but only 9 were mature and 5 fertalised. Now at day 1.5-2 we have 2 reasonable(ish) embies and 3 X 1 cellers, but they haven't arrested yet... We're so nervous waiting on day 5 and I fully intend to drive the scientists mad on the weekend! We'll see on Monday about PGD. I'm on OHSS watch, which isn't surprising as they were nervous the last couple of times and FS#2 doubled FSH. He did also give me some magical drips at day surgery, so hopefully that keeps OHSS away. How did you get through to 5 days last cycle?
Posted 23 October 2015 - 07:02 PM
Hi G - that's sounds like a good number to start with. Fingers crossed for you to get some to day 5. I hate the 5 day wait and updates on progress. This cycle I actually plan to get the fertilisation results and then ask for no update calls until day 5. It was too stressful for me getting the calls each day.
I am only on day 7 of stimms today - had scan today and there were 18 follicles - 9 each side varying sizes with 1x14mm as the biggest with the majority of the rest between about 9 and 13 mm. The FS was happy - is about the same as my last cycle - my egg number or maturity wasn't the problem it was the quality. Have next scan on Tues so will see what is happening them. If all still going according to plan will trigger next wed night for EPU fri morning.
In terms of getting through to day 5 - my advice is get update for the scientist on day 3 and then skip day 4 and wait until day 5 - that way you have day 4 off and you can just live in hope for day 5 update.
Edited by Green lady, 23 October 2015 - 07:05 PM.
Posted 23 October 2015 - 07:22 PM
I'm glad your cycle is sounding good. 18 is a lot of follies. Is your protocol very/any different? I think that sounds like a good idea to take a rest between day 3 and 5 on embie updates. So much of this just has to be blind faith. Were you at risk of OHSS its your last cycle? I'm so huge!
Posted 23 October 2015 - 07:40 PM
G - my protocol is the same - bout 12 days on the pill starting day 2 of period then 10 days of stimms - the only difference is this time I'm on menopur and last time was Gonal f.
I was at risk of OHSS last time as had the high numerous of follicles but also estrogen was 8000 or 9000 . I just kept my fluids up after EPU and crossed my fingers.
I look like I could be at risk again this time if I get the same high number- hopefully won't get it as can't afford any time off work. Day off for the EPU will be as good as it gets.
Posted 24 October 2015 - 06:15 PM
I was on Menopur on alternate days with Gonal-F this last cycle. It was a bit stingy, but otherwise okay and I think it's supposed to help with egg quality. I was also on a growth hormone and a bunch of other drugs.
I think my body is settling a bit today and our two embies are still hanging in there.
Posted 24 October 2015 - 06:42 PM
Hi G - that's great that the embies are hanging on. Fingers crossed they keep going for you!
Posted 26 October 2015 - 08:27 PM
One blast was still progressing today, but was too small for PGD, so they decided to transfer it. So yet again I'm in the two week wait.
How are you going?
Posted 27 October 2015 - 09:24 AM
Hi G that's good news. I had the same issue with one of mine last time - it was a blast that would have been suitable for transfer ( and was ultimately frozen) but wasn't hatching enough to be biopsied. It's good you got one to day 5 to transfer.
I have egg pick up on Friday morning triggering tomorrow night. Estimated number is 14 or 15. At this stage I have about 11 follicles measuring 17 or 18 mm with 3 days to go do my FS is happy with that. The other 3 are a bit smaller. So like last time I have a good starting number but need some quality.
Posted 29 October 2015 - 08:08 AM
I hope your trigger was hassle free? 14 or 15 eggs sounds like a great starting number, but it's always the quality that is so stressful isn't it?
I hope it all goes hassle free tomorrow.
I'm only a few days into 2WW and over it already. At least my tummy is starting to deflate a bit, but I'm on Clexane injections this time, so have lots of little blood blisters and Pregnayl, so HPT is not an option. IVF is definitely not an elegant or ego boosting process is it?!
Posted 29 October 2015 - 08:16 AM
Hi GL - had trigger last night with ovidrel. Thought about changing as I'm high risk OHSS with my estrogen yesterday being 13000. FS said if it had been 15000 he would have changed the trigger to lucrin.
Not looking forward to the bloating! I've not had clexane yet only have taken it on long haul flights for dvt risk which wasn't IVF or pregnancy related.
Given you had a 5 day transfer I guess technically you might only have a 9 day wait? You want it to be over quicker but for me I find its nice to be in the two week bubble living in hope.
Edited by Green lady, 29 October 2015 - 08:18 AM.
Posted 29 October 2015 - 08:46 AM
Fingers crossed GL that OHSS stays away for you. The bloating is horrid. I guess we should be glad that at our age we can still produce a good number of eggs - FS#2 said that increases our chances a tiny bit (I'd also read PCOS can increase fertility in your 40s - which it sounds like you might have too?)
I need to wait out 2WW due to Pregnayl - it will give a false positive. I checked with FS at ET, as I know many ladies can get BFP at day 10-11, but as last Pregnayl is next Monday, it will then take a week to get out of my system. So definitely 2 weeks. I'm a bit over bubble of hope - I just want the real thing!
Are you going to have a transfer this time?
Posted 29 October 2015 - 07:55 PM
Hi GL - no transfer. Taking them to day 5 if can be biopsied for PGD then I'll do that if not but can be frozen then I'll do that.
I'm not PCOS - I've been asked that a few times because of the numbers I get but I'm definitely not PCOS!
I don't know a lot about pregnyl as I've never had a fresh transfer - I guess it gives you the best chance though having the progesterone support.
Edited by Green lady, 29 October 2015 - 07:55 PM.
Posted 29 October 2015 - 09:05 PM
Hi GL - good you've got good egg numbers whatever the reason. I'm on heaps of support this cycle, so if that works we'll be happy, but my tummy is getting pretty messy. Last nights Clexane shot bled all night. FS#2 gave me a shopping bag of support meds, whereas previous FS just gave me Crinone. Fingers crossed.
A lady on my clinic's forum has just fallen pregnant at 43, so I was happy to hear that.
I'd have liked PGD, but everybody seemed to be pushing for a transfer.
Best wishes for tomorrow. I hope you get lots of lovely eggs and embies and OHSS stays away.
Posted 29 October 2015 - 09:22 PM
G - I've heard the Crinone is pretty yuck - so you're not missing anything there.
Good to hear about 43 year olds getting pregnant. I know it's only one but why can't you also be the one I say.
If they were pushing for a transfer I'd trust their judgment - my FS is definitely pro PGD for me because of my age and the first cycle being seemingly indicative of poor quality and then the one embryo that was the most progressed had numerous chromosomal abnormalities. So I'm going with his recommendation for the moment.
Hope the 2ww passes quickly for you especially as you're a pin cushion. You're in the 2ww and I'm about to start the 5dw praying I have one or two that get to day 5!
Edited by Green lady, 29 October 2015 - 09:23 PM.
Posted 29 October 2015 - 10:21 PM
Oh GL, I've got crinone as well, plus pessaries, Pregnayl, blood thinners and half a dozen other things. I'm sure I'd rattle if it wasn't for the extra fluid still in the ovaries!
It's a very anxious time waiting for day 5 isn't it?! Day 3 you can pretty well be sure some will still be going, after that is scary. I'm not quite sure what happened to the PGD enthusiasm with my last cycle, so if we need to go again I'll try to get some clarity on that. It would be great to know that the transferred embie is viable. I'm hoping that given this is cycle 4 and all the eggs/embies that have resulted that statistically this one is a keeper.
Good luck again!
Posted 31 October 2015 - 02:33 PM
Hi G - out of 13 eggs I had 11 mature . I have ended up with 6 till going today. 5 dropped off overnight . I don't know the reason as I didn't talk to the scientist but I don't really want to know. So I guess I'm probably slightly better off than last cycle . This stage last cycle cycle I had 7 still going when I started with 19 17 mature. So on a ratio 6 from 11 mature is better. I've asked for no updates until day 5. I don't want the roller coaster ride. Day 5 is what I need and last time I had 4x8 cells on day 3 which just have me false hope. I'm happy to live the hope bubble til day 5 next wed,
Posted 31 October 2015 - 04:49 PM
That sounds promising GL. You get good fertilisation rates. Fingers crossed for Wednesday. G xo
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users
Top 5 Viewed Articles