Edited by Green lady, 04 November 2015 - 11:04 AM.
Jump to content
Over 40 and TTC with IVF/ICSI #28
107 replies to this topic
Posted 04 November 2015 - 11:03 AM
Hi G - still the waiting game. Have to go to day 6 as today I have 3 morulas and one compacting morula. The best I can hope for I guess is a blast by tomorrow that can be frozen. I just can't see that any of them will be advanced enough to be biopsied tomorrow.
Edited by Green lady, 04 November 2015 - 11:04 AM.
Posted 04 November 2015 - 12:12 PM
Oh GL you are a patient woman! Depending on what time the scientists did their thing they might not actually be at day 5 yet? (i.e. that will be this afternoon). Did they give you there ratings so far? Thinking of you.
Posted 04 November 2015 - 05:05 PM
Hi G - no they didn't give me any ratings ( and I didn't want to know either) and didn't give me any ratings on my last cycle either. I guess I will ask for that tomorrow but the grading doesn't seem to predict much - my niece had a low grade highly fragmented day 3 transferred and it worked, she's now 2.
I'm so over it all. I was really trying to be optimistic that I'd get one to test - at the moment it's looking like none which is even worse than last time. The only difference is that I still have 4 from 6 going whereas last time I had only two left at this stage. I thought that was going to be indicative of better quality overall but evidently not.
Posted 04 November 2015 - 10:09 PM
You're right GL ratings are very subjective. I guess I was thinking that ratings might give you more idea about which ones might continue to grow overnight. Overall they don't tell us much. I'm thinking of you and hoping you've got some blasts tomorrow. G xo
Posted 05 November 2015 - 09:26 AM
Hi G - I've ended up with two hatching blasts this morning suitable for biopsy. I can't believe it - I was so expecting nothing after yesterday's call that they were all Morulas. The other 2 didn't progress enough since yesterday and so can't be teste or frozen. It's a start and better position than I thought I'd be. Now for the 3 week wait for results.
Posted 05 November 2015 - 03:11 PM
Hi GL - that's very exciting. Fingers crossed for you and let's hope the time flies!
Posted 05 November 2015 - 05:34 PM
Hi G - hope the 2WW is not to stressful. I guess you still have another few days to go
Posted 09 November 2015 - 04:06 PM
Hi GL - another BFN for me. A bit numb right now. Hopefully we can start another cycle immediately. Gosh I'm getting over all this. I hope your PGD wait is bearable. G
Posted 09 November 2015 - 06:35 PM
Hi G - damn it I'm sorry to hear that. It's just frustrating heartbreaking and unfair all at the same time. Hopefully you can go straight into another cycle before Xmas so you avoid downtime.
I know you thought about PGD last time and if you get any blasts by day 5 or 6 next time that are able to be biopsied and frozen, you should consider it. It does cost you more of course and an extra month in time , for eg even if I got a normal embryo from my two being tested as the results aren't due until 26 Nov or something I will likely miss this months ovulation to do a transfer and would have to wait til next month. Im not getting too hung up on it as I know my chances of either of them being normal are really low especially given the list of abnormalities that was wrong with the tested one from last cycle. My view is the time probably evens out as my FS doesn't like back to back cycles and prefers a months break in between, although I think given my age if I wanted to do back to back cycles, he'd probably do it.
I guess you're probably like me in that I am trying to work out how many more cycles I do before I have to give up. I just don't want to think about that yet.
I think with Xmas looming if I was you I would also be trying to get on with another cycle.
Posted 16 November 2015 - 11:24 AM
We're about to start another cycle - probably Wednesday. Fairly similar protocol to last time, just swapping Synarel for Cetrotide (which I prefer anyway). We'll do PGD if we can.
I hope you are traveling okay during your wait.
Posted 16 November 2015 - 02:23 PM
Hi G - good to hear you can get into another cycle before Xmas. My results aren't due until around 26 Nov ( last time they were late by a week). If they both come back abnormal I'm hoping to be able to start another cycle before Xmas which will straddle Xmas. Have to find out what the clinic closing dates are first.
I hope you can do PGD this time.
Posted 19 February 2016 - 08:40 PM
Anybody over 40 cycling at the moment? It's very quiet in here!
I'm having my few measly remaining eggs collected on Monday. Never thought I'd be in this situation but here I am. Triggering tomorrow night.
Would love to connect with a cycle buddy if anyone else out there hoping to catch a lucky egg
Posted 23 February 2016 - 02:20 PM
Hi babyblessed. I'm a few weeks off 43 & just had a 5day embryo transferred yesterday.
I haven't been on these forums for a while. I'm a bit shocked this one is so quiet!
How are you feeling?
Posted 23 February 2016 - 05:53 PM
Hi - I was on this forum but it was so quiet I moved to another forum website for over 40's. I have recently done a third stim cycle with PGD testing but out of 5 blasts tested over three cycles, all have been abnormal. I have two untested frosties that I don't want to transfer.
Good luck with EPU baby blessed and all the best Shelly bear for that 5 day embie transferred!
Posted 26 February 2016 - 12:06 PM
Ooh good luck with your embryo Shelleybear. I hope this is the lucky one for you - when do you test?
Green lady, have you heard of this?
My issue is embryo quality. Thinking of asking FS about this when I next see her although in my case the horse has already bolted
3 embryos still going at day 3. Hoping like crazy for a decent one to transfer on Saturday
Posted 26 February 2016 - 03:21 PM
Thanks Babyblessed- that's interesting. I hadn't seen that. My mature rates of eggs collected has been good - 17 from 19, 11 from 13 and 17 from 21 - but I have often wondered if any are verging on overmature. Because my clinic can only do EPU on a Wednesday Thursday or Friday when doing PGD ( because of embryologist schedules) it means there isn't much room to manipulate the timing of trigger and EPU. Good luck for tomorrow!
Posted 26 February 2016 - 03:26 PM
Reading that article, it makes me wonder if stimms containing lh ( like Menopur) which I did for two cycles are bad? Yet there is a lot of literature on the net about menopur being beneficial for older women.
Posted 29 February 2016 - 04:27 PM
Shelley bear I have my fingers crossed for you how r u feeling?
Sadly I had nothing suitable for transfer this cycle so am rethinking my next steps
AMH came back at 16 and AFC 18 si still some ovarian reserve there, just how to get those embryos to grow & hatch on day 5!
Posted 29 February 2016 - 06:18 PM
Sorry to hear that Babyblessed. I'm in the same position as you - good ovarian reserve but can't get any good embryos . Hopefully your FS has some suggestions for next cycle. Have you tried any supplements? I only take ubiquinol, melatonin, elevit, vit B6 and Vit D ( blood tests showed I was low in vit D). I am seeing my FS next week to talk about whether I will do a fourth and last stim cycle. I will be 43 in June and am drawing a line in the sand at that point.
Edited by Green lady, 29 February 2016 - 06:19 PM.
Posted 06 March 2016 - 10:54 AM
Shelley congratulations on your BFP. What a wonderful way to celebrate turning 43 knowing you have a little one on the way. Do you mind sharing is there was anything different you did, protocol, supplements etc.
I am clutching at straws a bit hoping that lucky embryo may still give me the take home baby I desperately want
I've finished reading 'it's all about the egg" & decided that age is not everything. I get good numbers 10 or so at pick up & have good fertilisation so drop off is usually by day 3
I am on fish oil, mega B and Ubiquinol 300 daily
Re DHEA - only one group is publishing success with it. I don't have DOR as getting good numbers for my age so dont want to risk adverse effects on embryos.
I am thinking things over right now. I know if I give up I have no chance at all but the odds look slim.
Good luck with FS on Thursday. I'm keen to hear what he says. Statistics say that if you are going to have a pregnancy from IVF it will be within 3 stim cycles. However I read a study which showed that wasn't the case -merely that people gave up after 3 cycles. I'll post it later
We have been pregnant before - surely that puts both of us in a better risk category?
Edited by Babyblessed, 06 March 2016 - 05:01 PM.
Posted 06 March 2016 - 11:30 AM
Babyblessed - my FS also said dhea was not something he'd recommend for me. Similarly I don't have DOR. I just started B12 and omega 3 fish oil this week to add to my Vit d, b6, ubiquinol (450) and elevit. I thought about Royal jelly but I have read a lot of things against it - particularly its estrogenic effect and whilst I still have normal cycles and can try naturally I don't want to mess up my cycles.
I took melatonin last cycle but don't think I took it for long enough. I should start it again.
I am in the same position as you - I think logically I should give up having had 25 fertilised eggs from about 53 retrieved and nothing normal out of the 25 ( except two day 6 frozen untested which I am loathe to use as just can't see how they could be normal when all the others haven't been).
I too thought the fact I already had children would mean my chances were better. So far not the case despite the fact all conceptions were in second month of trying ( not even tracking ovulation! Didn't realise I lucky I was back then).
Those articles are interesting . I have read some before. I would consider myself on a calorie restricted diet as I try to keep my weight at a certain level. However I wouldn't consider myself super healthy. I do exercise a few times a week but still drink some alcohol at the weekends ( not at all during the week).
One thing I want to ask my FS about is the trigger - Dr Sher has written a few articles on this on his website/ blog and the fact that in older women a double trigger ( 2x250 ovidrel for example) can be better for effective meiosis, that critical point of final maturation when the chromosomes are supposed to align. In this view 10,000 of pregnyl is better than 250 ovidrel as it is more potent even though in measurement those does are supposed to be the same. I know some ladies in their 40s seeing the infamous 'wazza' in Brisbane are having double trigger shots as he believes it's better for older ladies.
Posted 06 March 2016 - 11:38 AM
Shell- congrats on the BFP - you are the poster girl for us at the moment.
Like Babyblessed has said I'd be keen to know your protocol. I have done two cycles of menopur and one of pure Gonal f and if I do one more am thinking of going Gonal f again as have read so much literature on lh or being good for older eggs.
Edited by Green lady, 06 March 2016 - 11:40 AM.
Posted 06 March 2016 - 03:46 PM
Green Lady I wanted to ask about Estrogen priming but using an antagonist such as orgalutron as described here
I don't feel that doing the same thing over and over again hoping for Lady Luck is necessarily good for me
However, I did read somewhere that for somebody my age I would need to bank 20 PGS embryos to get one normal. I will see if I can find that article. I don't have the resources to do that ATM
The only thing I noticed about melatonin is that it can't be used when trying naturally as it somehow either causes release of a gonadotropin inhibiting factor or interferes with GNRH so can interfere with normal ovulation so if trying naturally you don't want to take it, yet you want 3 months of taking it to expose your developing follicles
Also, with the Ubiquinol and calorie restriction studies in mice, I believe they started it earlier than our equivalent age, so whether it was prophylactic in prolonging fertility rather than rescuing it like I want, I don't know. But any reduction in aneuoploidy that causes no harm other than financial is worth a try in my last chance saloon
Edited by Babyblessed, 06 March 2016 - 05:02 PM.
Posted 06 March 2016 - 06:31 PM
Babyblessed - I have also read that about melatonin which is why I have been loathe to take if on my months off IVF. It's catch 22 - you need to take it for a few months before a cycle but it means you likely have to sacrifice trying naturally during those few months - something I'm not prepared to do as I have to take every chance I can get.
Each of my 3 cycles I have changed some aspect. I agree just repeating the same thing over and over is not something I want to do or think is the right course.
I have read a lot of Dr Sher's material and I even posted a question last week on his blog which he answered within hours. He recommended that I ditch the menopur or at most take no more than 75 of it in combination with Gonal f. He also wasn't in favour of being on the pill for 2 weeks and then going straight into stimms. Although he agreed with the pill part he thought there needed to be some overlapping with lupron I think it was ( I will have to go back and read my notes of what he advised).
Edited by Green lady, 06 March 2016 - 06:31 PM.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users
Top 5 Viewed Articles