My Birth Story - Its Long!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Becca84

Posted 05 June 2015 - 04:54 PM

I went into labour at 2.30am on Monday 20 April 2015. I woke up and had the worst back pain that it made me physically sick, I threw up in a bucket then went into the bathroom to hang over the toilet but before I got to the toilet I threw up again in the bucket and felt my waters break. As I knew I had group b streptococcus I knew I had to go to the hospital straight away. I called the midwife to confirm this would be okay and she asked me what colour my waters were. I told her it was a brown colour and she said that the baby had most likely pooed in the womb. So I had to go straight to Rockingham hospital. My contractions were all in my back and they were already 5 minutes apart. I arrived at Rockingham hospital and they did a few swabs and advised that yes the baby had pooed. I was moved into the delivery room at about 3am and was given pethadine and maxalon and also antibiotics for the gbs.Before going into labour I was adamant that I would have any drugs if I needed them and only have an epidural as a last resort but I really didn’t want one because of a needle going into my back and the risks associated. But as the contractions were all in my back I feel I wasn’t mentally prepared as I would have been if they were in my stomach and straight away asked for an epidural as I was in excruciating pain. By about 7 am I was 4 cm dilated and was advised that if I had an epidural a midwife had to stay in the room 24/7 and Rockingham didn’t have enough staff to do that so I was transferred to Fiona Stanley hospital and arrived there at 10 am by ambulance. I received my epidural at about 12 noon and I didnt really feel the needle which I was originally terrified of. The relief was amazing I sat up and was able to talk to people and couldn’t even feel the back contractions anymore. Sadly the epidural stopped working after an hour and the horrible back pain returned. No matter what the anesthetist did he couldn’t get it to work again. The whole time I had contractions I just laid in bed silently holding onto my back and squeezing my husband’s hand thinking this is the worst pain ever. Whenever the doctors asked me questions during a contraction the midwife would say hang on shes having a contraction because the doctors couldnt even tell. The contractions were around 3 minutes apart at 1pm. By 4pm the contractions were closer and between each contraction the pain stayed so I had constant pain which was terrible. At 7.30pm the midwives said I was ready to start pushing. My legs were put into stirrups as they were numb from the epidural. I was given some gas but felt this didnt really help at all. The midwife told me to push like I was trying to push out a poo. She also stuck her fingers right up me and told me to push her fingers out. Now this was the worst pain that I actually was moaning in pain but that was as much noise as I made. With each contraction I pushed and I pushed for about an hour but as the baby was in an op position (meaning his head was facing towards my tummy, when he should have been facing my back) I was physically unable to push him out. So they advised me that I would need to go to theatre and have forcep intervention. So I signed forms to say that if I needed it they would do a c-section and if anything went wrong and they had to remove my uterus then they would. Which was very scary to think but by this time I just wanted to get bub out safely and whatever happened happened, also I just wanted the pain to end. I was then wheeled into theatre. There were about 15 staff in theatre getiing everything set up. They gave me gas to suck on but it made me feel drunk and I thought I wouldnt remember how to push if I kept sucking on it so I didnt use it after that. I was given a spinal block so I was numb from the tummy down and eventually they were ready for me to push. As I was numb I couldn’t feel that I was even pushing but after a couple of minutes our beautiful baby was born at 9.19pm (19 hours of labour). I saw him as they took him over to the crib to check him and I said to my husband oh my god thats our baby and all I could think was he was ours and we made him. It was a very teary and beautiful euphoric moment. I held him for about 10 minutes and just stared at him then he was taken back to finish getting checked. It then felt like I was laying on the theatre bed for ages shivering from emotions and kept saying are they finished yet. Apparently they had stitched me up (as I was given an episiotomy and also had a tear) but was still bleeding so they had to undo all the stitches and restitch me. By this time I had lost just over 1.5 litres of blood. By 10.30pm I was wheeled to the recovery ward. Then was moved to the maternity ward by 11.30pm. I was absolutely exhausted by this point and I hadn’t held my baby since he was first born. That night I only had 2 hours sleep as I was trying to feed bub but didn’t know what I was doing and the midwives didn’t show me how to breastfeed him properly. Tuesday morning I finally got breakfast as I hadn’t eaten for the last 36 hours. That morning I had doctors and midwives and other staff in and out all day so didn’t get any sleep at all.Throughout the day I was too exhausted to feed bub so the midwife expressed colostrum with a syringe and fed him for me. Also I was still numb from the waist down so was stuck in bed. That afternoon I had 2 blood transfusions. On Wednesday during the early morning I managed to get bub to latch on and give him a nice feed, I also did my first nappy change. By about 11 am I managed to struggle my way to the bathroom for a shower and felt much better after it. I still couldn’t walk without assistance so was in bed all day. At 9.30 pm I was transferred to Rockingham hospital. It was still hard to walk but I managed to sit up in bed to change bubs nappy during the night and get him out of his crib to feed him. The next day I was able to walk slowly unassisted and my husband gave bub his first bath. At 4.30 pm I was able to go home.A lot of people said considering what I went through I was very upbeat. I just felt very blessed to have my beautiful boy and keep thinking that it could have been worse. During my labour I felt confident the whole time with the midwives and doctors and all I had hoped for before going into labour was to have a healthy baby and to have a safe delivery and thats exactly what I got so I am very greatful and thankful.

#2 DragonHorse

Posted 05 June 2015 - 05:14 PM

Well done mumma! congratulations :babyflip:

#3 Guest_canadianmum_*

Posted 05 June 2015 - 05:18 PM

Congratulations on the birth of your baby.

#4 DJandJ

Posted 05 June 2015 - 05:19 PM

Congratulations! Hope you and baby are doing well.

#5 Becca84

Posted 05 June 2015 - 09:44 PM

Thanks ladies :) pic of me and bub after he was born and one from today :)

Attached Files

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.