help me choose a new manual espresso machine

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Weirdly Sane

Posted 04 July 2015 - 07:51 PM

Calling any coffee snobs?

My coffee machine has died.
I am suffering!

Please do not tell me how wonderful your nespresso machine is - I am sure it's great, I'm sure you love it, but I do not and will never want a pod machine.

No automatic milk frother.
No integrated grinder.

Anyone have a manual machine they're happy with care to share a recommendation?

#2 joeyinthesky

Posted 04 July 2015 - 07:58 PM

What sort of price range? I bought a Lelit Combi when I moved out to the sticks (I knew good coffee close to home would be hard to find)
I think it cost about $600 at the time, 6+ years ago - it has never missed a beat. Only single boiler, but has an inbuilt burr grinder which is surprisingly good. I can put out two-four coffees with milk in about 5 minutes max from start.
Good milk, excellent espresso.
Not as good as the big machines obviously but I've been really happy with it. When I need to replace it I'll save up for a double boiler machine to speed things up.

Sorry, just saw you didn't want an integrated grinder - ignore my post.

#3 JRA

Posted 04 July 2015 - 07:59 PM

We have a expobar minore, and an expobar office

They are both great.

And yes, we are coffee snobs.

Edited by JRA, 04 July 2015 - 07:59 PM.

#4 aluminium

Posted 04 July 2015 - 08:05 PM

We love our ECM. We've had it for two-years, no problems at all. Ours has different knobs because it is an older model but it is ace. :)

#5 Weirdly Sane

Posted 04 July 2015 - 08:06 PM

Thanks for the tip, joeyinthesky.
I don't want to go too much above $1000 but am in information gathering mode at present: considering the Breville dual boiler which seems to get good reviews, but googling Lelit has led me to some supply stores in my city so I may go along and have a look in person at what's available.

At the moment I feel like I'm drowning in espresso coated information.

#6 aluminium

Posted 04 July 2015 - 08:12 PM

View PostBenevolentDictator, on 04 July 2015 - 08:06 PM, said:

Thanks for the tip, joeyinthesky.
I don't want to go too much above $1000 but am in information gathering mode at present: considering the Breville dual boiler which seems to get good reviews, but googling Lelit has led me to some supply stores in my city so I may go along and have a look in person at what's available.

At the moment I feel like I'm drowning in espresso coated information.

BIL has the high-end Breville. It makes a nice cup. Very nice. If we didn't invest a small fortune in our ECM, we'd have gone with something like that.

We're all snobs around here.

#7 Weirdly Sane

Posted 04 July 2015 - 08:14 PM

View Postaluminium, on 04 July 2015 - 08:05 PM, said:

We love our ECM. We've had it for two-years, no problems at all. Ours has different knobs because it is an older model but it is ace. :)

Oh that is so pretty... when I win Tattslotto perhaps.

#8 JustMyGirl

Posted 04 July 2015 - 08:25 PM

Rancilio Silvia here plus the Rocky grinder. Been going strong for 7 years. Love our coffee from the Silvia!

#9 tothebeach

Posted 04 July 2015 - 08:32 PM

I have the breville dual boiler and burr grinder and I am very happy with it.  Makes great coffee - much better than a large proportion of coffee shops.  

I had to fiddle around at first to make sure that I hit the size of grind right and it helps o have fresh coffee.  But if I get the grind right, I get a consistent 9 bar pressure and a fabulous crema.

Plus because it's a dual boiler, I can just pump out coffee if we have guests as you can froth milk simultaneously.

#10 Orangecake

Posted 04 July 2015 - 08:34 PM

We have the Rancilio Silvia, you should be able to pick one up around $700-800. Have had it for around 4 years and been v pleased with quality for price

#11 Weirdly Sane

Posted 04 July 2015 - 08:37 PM

View Posttothebeach, on 04 July 2015 - 08:32 PM, said:

I have the breville dual boiler and burr grinder and I am very happy with it.  Makes great coffee - much better than a large proportion of coffee shops.  

I had to fiddle around at first to make sure that I hit the size of grind right and it helps o have fresh coffee.  But if I get the grind right, I get a consistent 9 bar pressure and a fabulous crema.

Plus because it's a dual boiler, I can just pump out coffee if we have guests as you can froth milk simultaneously.
Tothebeach, it's that fiddling around that has me a bit nervous. I'm upgrading from a fairly basic machine (that was a gift ages ago). Whilst I'm open to learning, I'm scared it'll take me ages to get a good coffee.
Do you think it's possible to get a reasonable result fairly quickly with the Breville db?

#12 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 04 July 2015 - 08:39 PM

View PostJustMyGirl, on 04 July 2015 - 08:25 PM, said:

Rancilio Silvia here plus the Rocky grinder. Been going strong for 7 years. Love our coffee from the Silvia!

Second this - love it. Makes a beautiful crema

#13 froglett

Posted 04 July 2015 - 08:45 PM

Go the Otto ;) https://www.thelittleguy.info

Most beautiful coffee, gorgeous to look at too. It takes a little bit of practice, but we've got it down to a fine art now.

Only downside is it does 2 cups per go (with 10-15 mins cool down in between).

It was around the $7-800 mark I think, plus we invested in a quality grinder so we have freshly ground coffee.

#14 Coffeegirl

Posted 04 July 2015 - 08:56 PM

Sunbeam Cafe series.    I have this model https://www.sunbeam....25f9d78ab9.aspx

It's 6 years old and going strong.   I only make 3-4 coffees a day with it.  Easily can pump out multiple cups for a dinner party.  Love frothing my own milk.  

I just de scale it every 3-4 mths.

Oh and check out coffeesnobs.com.au for some beautiful beans

Edited by Coffeegirl, 04 July 2015 - 08:57 PM.

#15 nup

Posted 04 July 2015 - 08:59 PM

I have the La Scala Butterfly. It's pretty and it does a good job. Can be plumbed in or not. I'm fairly certain it's one of the only domestic manual machines that can do either. Fairly straight forward to look after, mine hasn't skipped a beat but could do with a service. It's probably been about 4 years since the only service. I've owned it for 12 years. A friend had one and made 300 cups a day for 3 years without a hitch and continued to use it in his home after selling the business. I'm fairly certain it's also the only machine you can pour your brew and steam at the same time too.

I'd equally recommend the Sunbeam though. They make a mean cup and I'm pretty close to a coffee snob. It's just that I'll drink rubbish coffee at a pinch if it meets certain criteria lol

Edited by nup, 04 July 2015 - 09:14 PM.

#16 tothebeach

Posted 04 July 2015 - 09:00 PM

View PostBenevolentDictator, on 04 July 2015 - 08:37 PM, said:

Tothebeach, it's that fiddling around that has me a bit nervous. I'm upgrading from a fairly basic machine (that was a gift ages ago). Whilst I'm open to learning, I'm scared it'll take me ages to get a good coffee.
Do you think it's possible to get a reasonable result fairly quickly with the Breville db?
It's actually really easy if you use a decent coffee.  You try a grind size and if it doesn't get to 9 bar and coffee only dribbles out, you have ground too fine.   If it can mes out too quickly, you have ground too coarse.

You can measure out the coffee to see if you get the correct volume in 30 secs but I just do it by the pressure, the crema and the taste.

#17 Thursday

Posted 04 July 2015 - 09:01 PM

My neighbour has the Rancilio Silvio and my goodness it makes good coffee. Definitely looking at getting one of those when my current machine dies.

That Otto little guy one is gorgeous though!

#18 SCG23

Posted 04 July 2015 - 09:04 PM

I recommend the Philips Saeco Via Venezia. We're on to our 2nd machine (first lasted around 9 yrs and needed a new boiler but we decided to replace it instead).

It makes great coffee

http://www.philips.c...reviewandawards

#19 nup

Posted 04 July 2015 - 09:13 PM

View PostBenevolentDictator, on 04 July 2015 - 08:37 PM, said:

If you want decent coffee you'll need to fiddle with your grinder. Time of day and levels of humidity will affect your grind from a burr grinder. One of the reasons the auto grinders seem to have the grinder market stitched with home users.

#20 Abie2

Posted 24 August 2019 - 11:23 AM

View PostWeirdly Sane, on 04 July 2015 - 07:51 PM, said:

Calling any coffee snobs?

My coffee machine has died.
I am suffering!

Please do not tell me how wonderful your nespresso machine is - I am sure it's great, I'm sure you love it, but I do not and will never want a pod machine.

No automatic milk frother.
No integrated grinder.

Anyone have a manual machine they're happy with care to share a recommendation?

Hi!

I am not too experienced in coffee making but I would like to buy a coffee machine. I looked around, Gaggia Classic or Rancilio Silvia. I was searching for reviews, I found a site which compares the two, but I would like to hear an opinion from you guys. Thank you, Abie

#21 hoohoobump

Posted 24 August 2019 - 11:40 AM

View PostJustMyGirl, on 04 July 2015 - 08:25 PM, said:

This is us too. Grinder still going strong, machine has had a few services and has started rusting out, but has made a lot of coffee in the last 7 or 8 years.

#22 DirtyStreetPie

Posted 24 August 2019 - 12:01 PM

My husband has a moka pot that's he's happy with. Easy to use and clean. And he uses an Aerolatte frother whenever he wants to get fancy.

As for grinding, he has a little manual grinder with a hand-crank lol.

So that's a lower-cost option while you're figuring out what your next forever machine will be. :)

#23 born.a.girl

Posted 24 August 2019 - 12:17 PM

Zombie thread. Suspect spam but clicking on the link to find out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.