Canberra members chat thread

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#1 Puggle

Posted 30 July 2015 - 12:50 AM

Hello :waves:

Once upon a time here in the ACT section we had a general 'chat' type thread. I know there are many new members here since those days and reading another thread on EB reminded me how tricky it can be to settle in to living in a new city and to make friends. So I thought it might be a good time to start a thread and hopefully get to know each other a little better. I guess with the aim of re-establishing a sense of community here and hopefully even organising some get togethers with/without kids.

So, I should probably start. I'm Puggle, have lived in Canberra for nearly 8 years now yet I still forget to wear gloves in winter. I have two primary school aged daughters, work from home at the moment and have an obsession with crafts. My latest 'thing' is learning to crochet. I have made 4.5 scarves and should probably try a new pattern ... I'd really like to learn how to quilt and to knit, too. I'm a little obsessed with playing Candy Crush.

So, does anyone else care to introduce themselves?

#2 omongomong

Posted 30 July 2015 - 07:07 AM

Hello! Great idea. I moved to canberra 13 (!!) years ago but during that time also moved to bris for 1 year and more recently, Jakarta for nearly 4 years. We only returned to canberra about 8 months ago.

I have 2 children, DS1 who is 4 and DS2 who is 20 months. DS2 had a weird night, was up crying half the night and I need to go to work so that's all I will post for now!

#3 MumOfThreenager

Posted 30 July 2015 - 09:44 AM

Fabulous idea!

I moved to Canberra 10 years ago but I still find it a strange place sometimes... And it is sooo hard to make friends here!

I have a 20 month old DS. He is a sweetie!

Would love to organise a meetup at some stage :)

#4 SkeptiHandsOnMum

Posted 30 July 2015 - 10:57 AM

Great idea.

I have been here for 12 years (this time round - did a uni stint many years ago). A southsider with two teenaged children ... but still I hang around EB :huh:

Working full time shift work. Plus casual work. Plus studying part time. In my spare time I run. And try to make-over my back yard (slowly but steadily).

#5 MrsFrosty

Posted 30 July 2015 - 07:44 PM

Great idea! I went to uni in canberra for 3 years, then moved to Melbourne for 3.5 yrs. we've just moved back about 2 months ago. We have DD who is 9 months. I work 2 days per week as a nurse. We live inner South.

#6 NeedSleepNow

Posted 30 July 2015 - 07:58 PM

Great idea! I've been in Canberra for 10 years now and have a 3yr old and 7 month old.

I'm back working part-time and trying to fight sleep deprivation with caffeine and chocolate!

#7 MrsFrosty

Posted 30 July 2015 - 08:03 PM

Oh so much coffee for the sleep deprivation I'm pretty much always up for a coffee if anyone is ever around.

#8 gemgirl

Posted 30 July 2015 - 10:14 PM

I've been here over 10 years :) Always up for a chat.

#9 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 30 July 2015 - 10:21 PM

I moved here 5 and a half years ago. I have 2 tween DSDs,  but sadly, they live with their Mum interstate, so we don't get to see them as often as we'd like. No kids of my own.

I'm also southside.

I'I'm currently into colouring, but I don't have much time for anything because I'm working fulltime and we are renovating our house ourselves.

#10 blimkybill

Posted 30 July 2015 - 10:23 PM

I am a Canberra person too. My kids are older but I like EB nonetheless. I have been here 7 years,  work full time, and don't have many friends because I just work and do family stuff and relax and there's no energy for much more.

#11 Cimbom

Posted 30 July 2015 - 10:34 PM

I'm living on the north side. No kids. Working full time and have been living in Canberra for almost 5 years. Was previously living in Melbourne

#12 4kids mostlysane

Posted 31 July 2015 - 09:14 AM

Hi All

I've been in Canberra a really really long time now that I've counted it - I moved here for work in 1993 (graduate in the PS) and been here ever since.  I have 4 kids  - DS is 15, DD1 is 12, DD2 is 9 and DD3 is 5.  (I worked out the other day I'll involved with schools of some sort until 2028!)

I'm Northside - Gungahlin.  I work part-time - 2 days a week (still in the PS) and I have taken on far too many volunteer roles this year and it's killing me.  I love being involved in my kids schooling, and activities (soccer and scouts) but I'm getting burnt out through the the sheer amount of what I've taken on and am increasingly dissillusioned by the lack of help/effort/support/whatever you want to call it from certain other sectors of the community. Only 6 more weeks of soccer to go !!

#13 livvie7586

Posted 31 July 2015 - 09:22 AM

Another southsider here.  Been here 5 years this time around, although lived here for a period as a toddler, and have done 2 stints in queanbeyan in the last 10 years.

I'm a SAHM to the 3 terrors (their ages are in my sig), and i craft incessantly.  I crochet, knit, sew, cross stitch, cardmake etc.

#14 71Cath

Posted 31 July 2015 - 09:33 AM

I guess I am a local, I have lived here since I was 7 and I am now 43.

I'm divorced, with 2 kids, DS16 and DD11.

I'm in Belconnen and work full time.  I also knit and read incessantly.

#15 71Cath

Posted 31 July 2015 - 10:26 AM

I would love that!

#16 seepi

Posted 31 July 2015 - 10:59 AM

I'm northside, with 3 kids, and I have recently left my job, so I have plenty of time on my hands.

#17 MumOfThreenager

Posted 31 July 2015 - 11:39 AM

Yay, so many of us!

Now we just need CanberraChick :)

#18 MrsFrosty

Posted 31 July 2015 - 02:21 PM

Is anyone interested in swing dancing? There is a swing dancing festival this weekend. I'm going to go to a couple of the events and try to spot people I used to know to dance with.

#19 MrsFrosty

Posted 31 July 2015 - 02:22 PM

Oh, also a crocheter here. Pretty much can only do granny squares though.

#20 Lickety Split

Posted 31 July 2015 - 04:10 PM

I'm a Canberran born and bred. I'm a single parent with two kids aged 5 and 2 and live in Belconnen.

#21 Lickety Split

Posted 31 July 2015 - 04:11 PM

Oh and I just started learning to knit via YouTube.

#22 Jane Jetson

Posted 31 July 2015 - 04:16 PM

Northsider here (Belco) and we've been here seven years.

The kids are both girls, in primary school, and my main hobbies are reading, playing violent video games (when the kids are in bed!) and arguing with people on the Internet.

#23 Jingleflea

Posted 31 July 2015 - 04:24 PM

Canberra born and bred, southside.
One 5yr old DD.

#24 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 31 July 2015 - 04:40 PM

If you start a knit / crochet group, I should send my Mum! She is an amazing crocheter and she is a pretty good knitter too. She is currently crocheting a mermaids tail blanket for my niece :)

She re-write crochet patterns because she doesn't like a stitch or it doesn't work lol!

She's great at teaching!! She went to a stitch and chat and she said they were boring old women who were very clicky. My Mum is very youthful!

Edited by FeralRebelWClaws, 31 July 2015 - 04:46 PM.

#25 katy_bride

Posted 31 July 2015 - 06:04 PM

I'm a Canberran too, been here less than a year. I'm far south in Lanyon valley. Always keen to meet new people!  I have a 4.5 yo, 3yo and a newborn. I have no hobbies, unless you count drinking coffee, in which case I'm a maestro.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.