Canberra members chat thread

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#26 Chaos in stereo

Posted 31 July 2015 - 06:13 PM

Belconnian(?) here, of nearly 4 years. Economic migrants from Sydney. I have 2 kids, 8 & 5 and I can't believe we didn't move here sooner.

No hobbies, I long for a hobby. Too busy with study and school commitments. SAHM for now (final year).

#27 Shadowess

Posted 31 July 2015 - 06:32 PM

Hi!

I've been here 14 years, moved here from
Hobart as a grad, met my husband here, and the rest is history. We're Northside, and I have 3 girlies- 1, 4 and 8 on Sunday. I still work for the APS, but just 3 days a week at the moment.

I've also recently taken up crocheting (although I tend to tackle big blanket projects, so they take forever!), I'm into photography, and I also like to bake and make my girls awesome birthday cakes.... And I like drinking piña coladas and walking in the rain.... :)

#28 babybug15

Posted 31 July 2015 - 06:37 PM

Inner North here with a 11 week old. Been in Canberra 4 years. Love to meet new people but don't have any knitting/crocheting skills.

#29 Clever Clogs

Posted 31 July 2015 - 06:45 PM

Southsider SAHM to one DD aged nearly 4. We hope to move to West basin in about 5 years when it starts being built.

I guess I have to work again but I really don't want to, so I am in denial. Not until DD is in at least yr 1 so I can wait a while.

Oh and a prolific knitter

#30 pili-pala

Posted 31 July 2015 - 07:04 PM

Northside here, who would love to join a stitch and b**ch group! I hand sew, cross stitch and want to learn crochet. We could take it in turns to host? I would need to do a weekday evening. I find I get nothing done if DD comes along.

I have been in Canberra for over 15 years (with a few sojourns elsewhere), also in PS, work full time.

#31 JaneMummy

Posted 31 July 2015 - 07:08 PM

Been in Canberra a long time.  Live in the Inner North and have four sons (9, 7, 5 and 1).  I love to sew, embroider and would like to learn to crochet.  I work full-time and love coffee!

#32 bondgal

Posted 31 July 2015 - 07:30 PM

Another Northside Canberran. 3 3/4 DD and 10 mth DS. Very keen to learn to crochet properly so I can finish DS's Xmas stocking. Have heard that Tilleys is a popular spot for crafty gatherings. Oh and I work PT not in PS.

#33 nessrose

Posted 31 July 2015 - 08:33 PM

Northsider here too.

Have been here about 13 years and am currently a SAHM to 5 daughters aged 10, 8, 8, 5 & 3.

I don't have much time for hobbies, but do like reading, painting, craft with the kids, drinking coffee (and wine!) and gardening if I get the chance.

Am hoping to go back to work part time in the next couple of years, but to be honest I'm in no rush!

Would love to learn how to knit. My grandmother was fantastic at it, but she is no longer around to learn from.

Love to meet new people too.

Edited by nessrose, 31 July 2015 - 08:34 PM.

#34 ThatsNotMyName

Posted 31 July 2015 - 08:36 PM

Hi all, I've been in Canberra since 89 other than a 4 year stint in WA. We're in Belco, I work casually as an LSA in the public primary & pre-school system and have almost completed that related study. I have very basic knitting ability & am keen to learn crochet next. I also dabble in gardening, love reading, music & travel. Puggle it's way too long since we caught up!

#35 milandashsmum

Posted 31 July 2015 - 08:51 PM

Gungahlin girl, have never posted before, long term "watcher". Have two children 9, and 5, currently in the process of building a swim school in Fyshwick, though it was easier than having another baby (boy was I wrong!!)
Would love to catch up with other local mums... Can NOT knit/ crochet but would love to learn

#36 oceangal

Posted 31 July 2015 - 09:47 PM

Southsider, moved to Canberra 6 months ago. Work part time and study part time. 2 girls aged 3 and 8. Possess zero knitting ability.

#37 Hayleymumof3

Posted 31 July 2015 - 09:49 PM

:waves: :waves: Another Northsider(belconnen) Mother of 3, Have lived here for 14 and a half years now.  Moved here for love back in 2001(really came here with DH for a holiday(he lived here) and never left)

I was a SAHM for 13 years and started working again last year it's been GREAT.

I can't knit or Crochet at all sorry.

Kids are 13,12 and 9

#38 Jane Jetson

Posted 31 July 2015 - 09:57 PM

I can do plain stitch as long as someone else casts on or off for me. I'd probably be better at a wine circle than a knitting circle, sadly.

#39 blimkybill

Posted 31 July 2015 - 10:01 PM

So many Canberrans on EB. I think we are over represented. So when is the stitch and b**ch? I too have seen Tilleys being used by knitting groups, it would be a decent venue.

#40 pili-pala

Posted 31 July 2015 - 10:01 PM

Wine is the perfect accompaniment to stitching (all you is to bring something crafty, put on lap, occasionally look as if doing somethung but really just chat!).

Last time I organised a catch up only one person came. So I will happily attend something but I won't organise.

#41 Hayleymumof3

Posted 31 July 2015 - 10:10 PM

I can long stitch does that count?

#42 Chaos in stereo

Posted 31 July 2015 - 11:15 PM

View PostBendigedig, on 31 July 2015 - 10:01 PM, said:

Wine is the perfect accompaniment to stitching (all you is to bring something crafty, put on lap, occasionally look as if doing somethung but really just chat!).

Look, I think this is the safest way to combine drinking with more creative pursuits. Last night I tried to bake a cake and drink wine at the same time. I burnt my arm and dropped the cake .... Next time, I'm just going to do one thing well (it won't be baking).

#43 Puggle

Posted 01 August 2015 - 12:00 AM

Hurrah! Everyone is coming out of the woodwork!

Shadowess, I was so going to use that line "I like piña coladas and getting caught in the rain" in my starter post but figured I'd keep that in until most people here knew me a little better ;) . You know I'm going to be singing that for the next few days now, don't you?

Well, I like you people already! Sometimes I can be found at Bunnings, crocheting while eating cake and drinking coffee. I've trained my children to request going to play there sometimes after school. Win/win.

Don't be scared off if you don't do stitchy-stuff, people. It's not compulsory :)

#44 FeralAlpacaWarrior

Posted 01 August 2015 - 12:18 AM

Puggle I've been hanging around Bunnings in fyshwick the last few weeks getting painting supplies. We moved here ten(!) years ago now, I'm very crafty and have dabbled in crochet, but frequently get started on something and don't finish! At the moment I have painting our main bedroom and ensuite, making birthday party dresses for the girls, planning DD2's party and making her cake all on the agenda, all to be completed in the next 8 days!

We live just over the border, 10 minutes out of Queanbeyan. Spikey also lives 10 minutes from me :). I'd be more than happy to catch up with fellow Canberrans.

#45 pili-pala

Posted 01 August 2015 - 08:44 AM

Oh, I didn't think of Bunnings as a hang out. We do macdonalds (soft serve ice cream only, we can't eat much else there). I take hand sewing to swimming lessons etc. but I am also not a finisher.

I see a Bunnings visit on my horizon

#46 Hayleymumof3

Posted 01 August 2015 - 10:00 AM

Oh bugger you all just reminded me I need to hit bunnings for some sandpaper I need to sand down an old chest of drawer(mine from childhood) and make them nice again so I can put them in my room.

#47 71Cath

Posted 01 August 2015 - 06:51 PM

Stitch and b*tch sounds awesome.

And I didn't realise that so many of the names I recognize from EB are from Canberra.

#48 omongomong

Posted 01 August 2015 - 07:19 PM

I would love to learn to knit/ re learn to crochet!!

#49 Hayleymumof3

Posted 01 August 2015 - 07:50 PM

Bunnings trip was most successful.

Got my sand paper and a new kitchen cupboard YAY.  Only been meaning to get around to that cupboard for a year now.

#50 Puggle

Posted 01 August 2015 - 08:47 PM

No more Bunnings trips for me until I plant out all my Camellias. I have no clue; I started out thinking five would be enough for along a part of our fence - I've ended up with eleven and still think thirteen would be better. But I'm sticking with eleven as there is no guarantee they are even going to survive in that spot - I might be relocating them all at some point if I need to rescue them. Planting them out is bad enough as I have to dig up agapanthus first ... hopefully we get some nice sunny days after this rain and I can get out there and stuck into it.

Painting is something I always think I should enjoy but rarely do. I feel much the same way about making birthday cakes for the kids. Maybe I just need to pracise more.

I have been in a spring cleaning mood lately; I took a load of scrap metal to the recyclers last week and this week it will be a load of stuff to The Green Shed and another to the tip. All long overdue but seeing the difference it has made about the place is very motivating. Now, if only I could be half so motivated about sorting out the inside of the house ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.