Canberra members chat thread

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#51 Puggle

Posted 01 August 2015 - 08:50 PM

Oh, and FeralRebelWClaws (and anyone else who is into crochet) is your mum on Facebook? There's a Canberra crochet group and they have regular meet ups. I haven't made it to one yet but it is inspiring to see what others are working on. Some very talented people in that group!

#52 Hayleymumof3

Posted 01 August 2015 - 10:33 PM

View PostPuggle, on 01 August 2015 - 08:47 PM, said:

I have been in a spring cleaning mood lately; I took a load of scrap metal to the recyclers last week and this week it will be a load of stuff to The Green Shed and another to the tip. All long overdue but seeing the difference it has made about the place is very motivating. Now, if only I could be half so motivated about sorting out the inside of the house ...

I am really good at this.

My next big project is turning the garage into a area for the kids.  Have to fix the roof, doors and plasterboard the inside of it, fix the floors etc.  Now to find the umm motivation to do it.

I have to head back to bunnings tomorrow for some paint sigh.

#53 *molly*

Posted 01 August 2015 - 10:44 PM

I never realised there were so many Canberrans on EB!

I'm in Gungahlin, work part time and I've got a 21 month old DD. Was excited to find out this week that I'm pregnant :)

I've got no idea about knitting.

#54 mumto3monkeys

Posted 01 August 2015 - 10:51 PM

I'm local but shy. :blush:  I also have 4 (not 3) monkeys .... so I guess I'm lazy too because I haven't updated my name in almost 4 years. :doh:

Inner South. Lurk a LOT. Would love to learn how to crochet ... or even knit more than a straight scarf (I think I learnt how to pearl stitch once.... when I was about 9.... I'm much older than that now.)

And :hugs: to Puggle ... she'll understand as random strangers tend to do that to her.

Edited by mumto3monkeys, 01 August 2015 - 10:53 PM.

#55 Puggle

Posted 01 August 2015 - 11:31 PM

:rofl:

There's a backstory there ...

mumto3monkeys, I am pretty sure someone else nabbed mumto4monkeys already, because I thought it was you and it wasn't!

Hayleymumof3, on 01 August 2015 - 10:33 PM, said:

I have to head back to bunnings tomorrow for some paint sigh.

I never buy enough paint!

Congratulations *molly* - how exciting! There are lots of Canberrans on EB, but not always posting in this section. Years ago it used to be one of the more active boards on EB but that has decreased as people have moved on or joined FB groups instead. Actually, one of the best groups I have been involved with started because we were living in Canberra and all pregnant the same year - we still catch up when we can, even if it is just two or three of us. In the first year we had big meet ups and got to watch all the babies grow <3. I thoroughly recommend starting a thread and seeing if anyone local responds. 'What month are you due' groups are nice too but it was really great having a group of local people when I was expecting DD2 - having left two wonderful 'playgroups' behind in Perth when we moved here.

#56 mumto3monkeys

Posted 01 August 2015 - 11:40 PM

No... M24M was still unclaimed when number 4 arrived .... but hey makes M23M is a bit of a red-herring to those not in on the secret. :ninja:

And while it is unfashionable I reeeeally like emoticons... even though they reeeally annoy some people Posted Image . Maybe that makes me a bit of a tease. :sorry: :yes: :happy:

#57 71Cath

Posted 02 August 2015 - 07:49 AM

View Postmumto3monkeys, on 01 August 2015 - 11:40 PM, said:

And while it is unfashionable I reeeeally like emoticons... even though they reeeally annoy some people Posted Image . Maybe that makes me a bit of a tease. :sorry: :yes: :happy:

I love emoticons too.  But I do want to know the difference between an emoticon and an emoji?

#58 mumto3monkeys

Posted 02 August 2015 - 10:11 AM

View Post71Cath, on 02 August 2015 - 07:49 AM, said:

I love emoticons too.  But I do want to know the difference between an emoticon and an emoji?

I use them both with complete disregard to their real and/or implied meaning so you probably need to be able to read my mind to know what I am trying to convey. :huh: :shrug:

But it is a very good question.... google to the rescue... :clap:

Emoji is a special standartized set of icons, invented by Shigetaka Kurita in 1995.
Emoticons are any smiley symbols.
Emoticons represent a broad category of icons, while emoji include only specific icons.

http://www.quora.com...i-and-emoticons

if you need further explanation :smile:

#59 ThatsNotMyName

Posted 02 August 2015 - 11:43 AM

I too need to visit Bunnings to facilitate some sanding & painting. A few months ago I bought a massive bookshelf from a friend who was moving & every weekend since have thought about getting sandpaper, undercoat & paint. I'm yet to actually do anything. Procrastination anyone? I'm brilliant at that.

Congratulations molly!

#60 MrsFrosty

Posted 03 August 2015 - 09:01 AM

maybe a Monday or Tuesday? Where should we hold it?

I'm other news, I went to a couple of swing dancing events on the weekend. I now can't walk properly, my dance fitness is gone since having DD :/

#61 Sasha Jensen

Posted 03 August 2015 - 09:17 AM

Hi everyone,

I'm a Canberran too. I'm Southside but soon to be Northside (where I'm originally from) once we sell up the house we're in.

Apart from preparing the house for sale I'm busy with a preschooler and a 5 month old baby, along with various parent committees. I'm on mat leave for the rest of the year.

SJ

#62 SkeptiHandsOnMum

Posted 03 August 2015 - 01:30 PM

I saw an awesome scarf in a shop at Kingston the other day. It was crocheted small granny squares. I now want to learn to crochet granny squares so as I do not have to pay $70 for that scarf.

A bit like this one... Posted Image

Edited by SkeptiFERAL, 03 August 2015 - 01:31 PM.

#63 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 03 August 2015 - 01:40 PM

View PostPuggle, on 01 August 2015 - 08:50 PM, said:

Oh, and FeralRebelWClaws (and anyone else who is into crochet) is your mum on Facebook? There's a Canberra crochet group and they have regular meet ups. I haven't made it to one yet but it is inspiring to see what others are working on. Some very talented people in that group!

Thanks, I will let her know!! She loves doing it and is very talented. Be nice for her to get out more!

#64 Nut

Posted 03 August 2015 - 10:01 PM

I've been around for quite some time. I've lived in Canberra for 24 years, been on EB for 11 years and been a moderator for 9 years.

I'm South Side and have a 7.5 year old, 6 year old and 21 month old :)

#65 Hayleymumof3

Posted 05 August 2015 - 07:35 PM

View PostNut, on 03 August 2015 - 10:01 PM, said:

I've been around for quite some time. I've lived in Canberra for 24 years, been on EB for 11 years and been a moderator for 9 years.

I'm South Side and have a 7.5 year old, 6 year old and 21 month old :)

OMG nut I hadn't seen you in ages and didn't know you had had a 3rd baby so Belated Grats.

#66 Bearface

Posted 05 August 2015 - 07:53 PM

Hi. I'm  in Tuggeranong. I have a 5 year old daught and a two year old foster son. Currently working part time and free  for coffee in tuggers on Wednesdays (with toddler in tow) if anyone is interested!

#67 Flutters

Posted 05 August 2015 - 10:09 PM

I'm born & bred here and live in tuggers. I have a 3.5 yr old & a 4 month old. Am not artistic at all but we regularly go to Bunnings. My 3yr old gets a little trolley, to go shopping, oplay on the play ground, get her face painted &'have a sausage. When she puts it like that what's not to Love!

#68 MrsFrosty

Posted 05 August 2015 - 10:13 PM

View PostMands09, on 05 August 2015 - 07:43 PM, said:

Hi everyone. So I'm planning on going to Tilleys on Friday morning with my knitting as I'll only have my 2 month old and reeeeeallllyyyy need to get out of the house. Please join me if you are free for a coffee and a chat with someone. Im thinking I'll get there 10ish.
Hey! I might be working Friday, but if I'm not I'll come along!

#69 princessanarchy

Posted 05 August 2015 - 10:51 PM

Moved from Melb to study in 2001. Married a Canberran. My family moved here in drabs, then my sister married hubby's brother :).
Southside, PT APS, don't craft but do make decorations so can always sit and poof Pom poms (keep looking for a book club then remembering am already overcommitted). 3 adorable muppets 6 (DD), 5 and 3 (
Sons). Don't post much but love EB (started in TTC forums '06). Love Canberra!!

#70 Chaos in stereo

Posted 06 August 2015 - 12:07 AM

Mands I can't make Friday :( I'll keep an eye on this thread though... Maybe next time?

Have fun :)

#71 Puggle

Posted 06 August 2015 - 01:03 AM

Hi all,

Mands09, I wish I could catch up on Friday morning but a friend and I are heading off for a girls weekend. Can't wait! Next time though, I'm in!

#72 71Cath

Posted 06 August 2015 - 12:26 PM

Curse this full-time job!

Have fun guys.

#73 Shadowess

Posted 06 August 2015 - 09:12 PM

I love that we're bonding over two very important things... crochet and Bunnings.

TNMN- I also have a half finished sanding job.... I bought an old coffee table from the salvos, to sand and then paint, for Ruby to put her Lego Friends on. I've sanded the top, but that's as far as I got! It's painfully slow, sanding.

I can't remember what everyone else said....

#74 Clever Clogs

Posted 06 August 2015 - 10:33 PM

The difference between the three Bunnings is its own conversation. We go to Tuggeranong usually, but sometimes Belconnen. Every time we go to Fyshwick we regret it.

I got a Bunnings voucher from MIL and used it to buy kindling. Wooooo hoooo :(

#75 pili-pala

Posted 07 August 2015 - 07:37 AM

Gungahlin Bunnings isn't too far away!

Future knitting/hand craft dates can be at Ikea when that opens!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.