Jump to content

babysitting from my home

  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 username eri

Posted 10 August 2015 - 11:48 AM

I was looking at being a babysitter for local children but looking after them in my home. So the parent would drop them off for me to care for them for a period of time. I realise I would need a police check and a working with children check but what else would i need? Who would i get to check and make sure my home is safe?

#2 Princess Leila

Posted 10 August 2015 - 12:49 PM

I'm not 100% sure but  from my friends experience, she needed to be licensed through DCP in WA ( child services)  and she ended up joining a family daycare scheme.

Edited by Princess Leila, 10 August 2015 - 12:55 PM.

#3 CalC

Posted 10 August 2015 - 01:00 PM

You might also need to check if you need any additional insurance and/or your current insurance would cover you if a child got hurt on your property while essentially running a business.

#4 Empress NG

Posted 10 August 2015 - 01:11 PM

This is a good place to start, OP:  


Can also contact the regulatory authority for your state and territory for advice on rules that apply in that jurisdiction.  

In NSW, I think you would have a choice of being a 'home based carer' or getting into a family day care scheme.  See here for more information:  http://www.dec.nsw.g...providers/forms

#5 Chocolate Addict

Posted 10 August 2015 - 01:26 PM

I would think you would need your house inspected?

I would go through family day care or something like that. If you were doing to do nights/weekends you could probably get a lot of customers.
There is a shortage of child care choices for shift workers.

#6 just roses

Posted 10 August 2015 - 01:43 PM

Would you charge less than you would if babysitting at the child's home?

I'm assuming you're talking about babysitting rather than family daycare and - therefore - for evenings/night?

Personally, I would want my kids looked after at home where they could fall asleep in their own beds.

The safety net with family daycare is that the houses have been thoroughly checked for safety (glass doors replaced with safety glass, for instance). So if my children were being looked after at someone else's house, I'd want to know that those checks had been done.

#7 melanieb530

Posted 28 March 2016 - 10:51 PM

The advantage of joining a Family Day Care service would also mean that you can offer CCB (Child Care Benefit) and CCR (Child Care Rebate). So you might charge $8 - $10 per child per hour but the cost to the parents might only be $3 - $5 perhour after subsidies. You would be limited to a maximum of 7 children aged 12 years and under (including your own children)

Edited by melanieb530, 28 March 2016 - 10:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users


Top 5 Viewed Articles

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.