Kids party on Fathers Day

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 libbylu

Posted 10 August 2015 - 11:02 PM

#Updated post #57
My DSs 9th birthday is at the beginning of September so the weekend closest to his birthday is usually the father's day weekend.  In the past we have often held parties on the Saturday, but lots of his friends are now doing Saturday morning sport and in fact his Dad is taking him to the football on this particular Saturday afternoon to see their team play. The weekend before that we are away.  So his birthday party will be on the Father's day Sunday from 2-4pm.
Would you take your kid to a party at that time on Fathers day? Or would you be annoyed?

Edited by libbylu, 11 August 2015 - 10:57 PM.

#2 MrsLexiK

Posted 10 August 2015 - 11:05 PM

My child isn't this age but no I wouldn't take my child to a party on fathers or Mother's Day especially at 2-4pm as that would make me doing something for lunch very hard.

Edited by MrsLexiK, 11 August 2015 - 12:05 AM.

#3 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 10 August 2015 - 11:07 PM

It would be a no from us aswell.

We spend the day doing a family outing and big lunch.

#4 KnightsofNi

Posted 10 August 2015 - 11:10 PM

I would take my children on Mother's Day and I am sure my XH would take the kids to a party on Father's Day. Neither of us believe an entire day is required to celebrate the face that we/our parents bred.

#5 Fossy

Posted 10 August 2015 - 11:11 PM

We would be a no too sorry, especially that time.

What about Friday night?

#6 Duck-o-lah

Posted 10 August 2015 - 11:12 PM

I would do something for Father's Day in the morning then take my DS to the party in the arvo. We don't have extended family around though, I imagine it would be more difficult to make time if that were the case.

#7 Gruffalo's Child

If we had no plans with DH's family at that time we would go, but chances are it would clash with a lunch at his Dad's house.  Is it possible to have the party the following weekend instead?

#8 T2Mum

Definite no. Father's Day is a family day at our place.

#9 Overtherainbow

Posted 10 August 2015 - 11:13 PM

It would be a no from us.  Father's Day, Mother's Day our own birthdays and long weekends are usually a direct no.

We will be visiting our own parents as well as enjoying our own family time.  There's a weekend before or skip a weekend.

#10 The Old Feral

Posted 10 August 2015 - 11:14 PM

Nope.

Is Friday an option? My kids feel a little bit grown up going to evening parties, laser tag and bowling seem quite common, or out for pizza, but we've also had a few just at people's homes in the arvo after school.

#11 rileys-mum

Posted 10 August 2015 - 11:20 PM

A no here too.
Friday nights for 9yr olds are good.

#12 Bone Apple Tea

Posted 10 August 2015 - 11:21 PM

No from us too.  

I have a child with a birthday around Mothers Day and we have always done birthday parties either the weekend before or the weekend after.

#13 AdelTwins

Posted 10 August 2015 - 11:25 PM

Catching up with DH and both of our fathers we would not have time to go to a kid's party.

Perhaps do the party the following weekend? Or a sleepover Sat night?

#14 White-Lily

Posted 10 August 2015 - 11:29 PM

Would be a no from us too. Between seeing my dad,  DHs dad and then actually celebrating DH being a dad we don't have time for anything else.
What about the weekend after?

#15 CallMeFeral

Posted 10 August 2015 - 11:45 PM

Probably no for us, particularly at that time, because there would probably be a lunch and a dinner on. Something 3-5 or 4-6 that allowed lunch/dinner still, maybe, but only if it happened to be in the right area.

#16 libbylu

Posted 10 August 2015 - 11:47 PM

Hmmm, interesting to see people's responses.  We are also the sort of family that doesn't usually spend a whole day doing something for mother's day or father's day (in fact, both the mother and the father in this house would be happy to have a quiet hour or two to themselves on those afternoons to luxuriously read a book in peace etc.!)  but I do get the point that 2pm is a difficult time for all those who do lunch.
We have the opportunity to go away the weekend before but we don't actually need to go, so perhaps we might be better off cancelling those plans and making the party the weekend prior.  In which case, I better hurry up and get organised!

#17 Tinky Winky Woo

Posted 11 August 2015 - 09:53 AM

No we would not go.  The party is easy to move to the weekend before or after.

We do celebrate and spend special days together - yes the whole day.

#18 Ruf~Feral~es

Posted 11 August 2015 - 10:08 AM

There is no harm having his party 2 weeks before or 2 weeks after.  

We don't do a lot for Mothers or Fathers Day, but we sometimes do have a family activity.  So it would be a maybe from us.

Or Friday night?  Kids love nighttime parties.

#19 mikado

Posted 11 August 2015 - 10:11 AM

I am a long time lurker, but thought I should reply with my experience. We have our DD's 5th birthday in early September and have decided to hold it on Father's Day afternoon this year (2.30-4.30pm). We were hesitant (for all the reasons outlined above) but decided to go ahead anyway.

Our response rate so far is:
Yes - 75%
No - 25%

There are a few more to RSVP as yet.

Hope this helps with your decision.

#20 fooiesmum

Posted 11 August 2015 - 10:27 AM

Would be fine from our end too, so yes my daughter would go - I'd use the time to drop over and see my dad and a coffee and back to party pick up.

To be honest - my small cheerleader has a weekend cheerleading comp out at Homebush, so all day Saturday & Sunday we will be there (this the 3rd year in a row the even has been over the fathers Day weekend and the 3rd year she will compete)

#21 Yetski

Posted 11 August 2015 - 10:37 AM

It wouldn't bother us at all, we'd just do father's day breakfast or dinner. But my son did go to another child's birthday party on his own birthday once, so I'm pretty relaxed about these sorts of things!!

#22 belindarama

Posted 11 August 2015 - 10:45 AM

No here as well. It's the time for me.

#23 GlitteryElfFarts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 10:54 AM

Yes we would go. DD has a knockout comp grand final that morning at 9am. DH loves watching them do the things they enjoy, so why not a party.

#24 Empress NG

Posted 11 August 2015 - 10:55 AM

I probably would if the child was busting a gut to go but wouldn't really be happy about it.  We don't have grandparents around but do like to spend mothers and fathers day having a pleasant family day out and about, ie, lunch, bushwalking etc.

Could your son take a couple of friends along to the footy (and maybe McDs afterwards) with his dad in lieu of a party?

Edited by Empress NG, 11 August 2015 - 11:04 AM.

#25 Guest_MummaKay_*

Posted 11 August 2015 - 10:56 AM

I'd probably just choose another day or even ask to do a cake at school. I think it would be really likely a lot of people couldn't make it. Could you do it an earlier weekend instead of later?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.