International move - shipping a container

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 florencejosie

Posted 24 August 2015 - 07:28 PM

Hello,

Does anyone have any recommendations of companies that ship from Europe to Australia?  Obviously most of the big moving companies operate all over the world so I guess I am looking for other families experiences of their moves, and which company you used.

Movecorp have quoted us about £1000 cheaper than  most of the other companies  but looking at their reviews online there are quite a few dissatisified customers saying that they were quoted less to hook them in but then charged more later on anyway.  Not sure who else to look at!

Thank you!

#2 Tigster

Posted 24 August 2015 - 07:37 PM

I live in an area that has a lot of international employees and unless the employers paid for the move they mostly sold everything and bought new on arrival in Australia. They believe it ended up costing about the same.
Maybe worth considering.

#3 walkingFish

Posted 24 August 2015 - 07:50 PM

I can't comment on price as we had a company move so I didn't pay much attention.

We used Grace removals from Australia to Canada (not the uk I know, but international division). Was happy with everything except the condition of things we put in storage in Australia, it was clearly quite hot.

We used allied Pickfords to come back to Australia. They were really good, particularly helping with paperwork etc.

As per PP though I'd seriously consider how much stuff you ship and how much you just replace on arrival. Shipping (and insurance) is $$$ and you won't get it immediately either. In our case sea freight was 3 months one way and 2 months the other.

#4 florencejosie

Posted 24 August 2015 - 08:15 PM

Thanks for your replies.  This is our 4th international move and the first time we'll be getting a container.  In the past we have just sold and replaced most things, but this time we actually have some valuable things we'd like to hang onto in addition to all the stuff you have with three kids.   We also just can't be bothered with the hassle of replacing everything actually!  We will send our stuff in plenty of time, live with some crappy pieces we are going to get rid of anyway and borrow some items from friends.  That's the plan anyway but we may very well change our minds again!

#5 lynneyours

Posted 24 August 2015 - 08:52 PM

We used Anglo Pacific 5 yrs ago London to Melbourne.  
Everything arrived on time in one piece.

On leaving/packup:  2 blokes worked their butts off and packed our whole house in a day.  I didn't help as I had a 15 DAY old baby and stitches/recovering from.

On arrival:  They offered to unpack and take away the packing.  They put the boxes in the rooms I directed them to, placed big furniture where asked.

I'd recommend them.  For us it worked out only 20-25 quid for each extra box after the first few, so if we couldn't replace it for less than $50, we brought it.  In hindsight, we shouldn't have.  Since it took 3 months to get here, we'd rebought things like dinner sets, cutlery, glasses etc.

We actually did 2 shipments. In the first small one I'd thought to ship half the toys, kids books, out of season clothes, cot and cot bedding home as we'd need them on arrival. Didn't think about towels, kitchen things, etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.