Toilet training

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jess1980

Posted 10 September 2015 - 10:59 PM

My twins turned 3 this week and I'm looking at toilet training them but they aren't particularly keen, but all nappies irritate their skin doesn't mattter what brand (I have the same problem with the plastic in sanitary pads so I know how much pain they are in!) so they constantly trying to rip them off. I need some tips I've only ever dealt with tt girls

#2 libbylu

Posted 10 September 2015 - 11:22 PM

I don't think there is much difference toilet training boys and girls is there? Seems like a good time to try now things are warming up finally.
This what I am about to do with my DS2; Pick three days where I/DH can stay home. Get some potties to put around the house. Let him run around with no pants on. Ask him to sit on the potty every half and hour or so and give him some positive feedback (or a sticker?) when he wees/poos in the pot. Repeat for three days.  Then go out and by some undies and deal with any accidents. Worked for me with DS1. Was pretty scary hopping in the car with undies that first time on day 4, but he barely had any accidents and we never looked back.

#3 Rooki76

Posted 10 September 2015 - 11:37 PM

I did similar to PP, but for first few weeks or so when we went out (ie shopping centre) I would put him in pull ups for that period, but still prompted to go to toilet as at home. And had him in undies from the start.Also maybe get some cheap easy to wear pants that they can pull up and down and you won't mind too much if they have accidents in. Best of luck!

#4 rainycat

Posted 11 September 2015 - 08:21 AM

I had to bribe my twins, they weren't keen to tt at all.
My girl was slightly keener than my boy so I started her first.
She got a smarty when she went to the loo.
I found that both had lapses so I never pushed it.  
I was constantly getting them to go to the loo and there were a lot of tiny undies soaking in buckets for ages....
Not fun with twins so good luck.

#5 Bearynice

Posted 12 September 2015 - 07:52 PM

I think I would start with just the potty or toilet before bath time.
Lots of encouragement.wheni tt my boys I tried both at once. One got it earlier than the other.
If I could have my time again I would have done one then the other. It's hard when there are two puddles in opposite ends of the house!!
I brought like 30 pairs of cheap undies for each kid.
Dont feel like u have to train them because they are three or due to the nappies. Do it when u r ready and they r ready.
Boys.... Train them to sit down for wee.

#6 Reading_Mum

Posted 12 September 2015 - 08:24 PM

My twin girls trained months apart. It wasn't what I planned but one was interested and the other didn't want a bar of it. In the end it was actually easier because I could focus specifically on one child, and by the time the other was ready, the first one was completely at ease with it all. We had 2 potties, and a toilet seat with steps, and lots of spare undies. Pull ups for shopping trips etc. We also did sticker reward charts. We also used training pants for awhile - the undies with the absorbent bit in them. It stopped accidents from being too horrendous. Good luck!

#7 Mariamsmum

Posted 15 September 2015 - 09:49 PM

Toilet training my twins was actually easier than my singleton who was older. I waited until they were ready and wanting to start (whereas I think I started before my older son was ready, so it was longer and harder).

They tended to watch their older brother go and was very keen to start.

We used a star chart with stickers every time they used the toilet. I had a step and an insert (so they sat down to wee) to start off with to keep it easier.

I found it easier training both at the same time. One got it quicker than the other, but they both reinforced each other. Lucky we had two toilets as they would race each other to get there.

Good luck!

#8 fibilly

Posted 15 September 2015 - 10:00 PM

We trained our twins together just after their third birthday. If I had my time again, I would train them separately - one was showing more signs of being ready, and it was so hard when they both need to go at the same time. Find time when two people can be around to watch for the signs, and get a few potties so there is always a toilet free. We went hardcore - throw out all nappies and no return - it meant going nowhere for a week, which was the longest week of my life, but it worked pretty well in the end.

And let them wee on the lemon tree - my boys loved that!

#9 Staying Strange

Posted 21 September 2017 - 04:37 PM

Just bumping this thread to see if anyone else has tips re: toilet training twins.

My girls are still on the young side so no rush but both sit in their older sister's potty regularly, tell me when they need to go etc so I've started. But they both are refusing trainers so we have had to go straight to undies which is not ideal.

Twin B is absolutely ready.... Twin A has major FOMO so has been taking off her own nappy once B was no longer in hers, and sitting on the potty with B when she sits so I guess we'll be training both at the same time.

Just after advice from other twin parents as my singletons was 1000 times easier than this!!

TIA

#10 redchick

Posted 01 October 2017 - 01:39 PM

View PostStaying Strange, on 21 September 2017 - 04:37 PM, said:

Just bumping this thread to see if anyone else has tips re: toilet training twins.

My girls are still on the young side so no rush but both sit in their older sister's potty regularly, tell me when they need to go etc so I've started. But they both are refusing trainers so we have had to go straight to undies which is not ideal.

Twin B is absolutely ready.... Twin A has major FOMO so has been taking off her own nappy once B was no longer in hers, and sitting on the potty with B when she sits so I guess we'll be training both at the same time.

Just after advice from other twin parents as my singletons was 1000 times easier than this!!

TIA

Ever since my boys were born we’ve done everything in our power to make sure they weren’t compared to each other or competed too much but when it came to toilet training I think it was great to have two at once. They were fascinated by watching each other and learning together. I totally understand your mention of FOMO! We didn’t need reward charts - we stayed home for four days when the boys were about 32 months old and pretty much done and dusted in that time (night times took a bit longe).

I was glad to get it all over and done with at once - got it over and done with!

All the best! As my mum said, all kids are TTd eventually - you don’t see a 21 year old in nappies.

RC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.