Watching PG movie at daycare

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#26 Caribou

Posted 23 September 2015 - 08:46 PM

Watching a movie at daycare? I'd be ropeable.

Yea, I know I let her watch TV at home, but I watch it with her so I can answer any questions she might have, like for example, the Lion King. we talked about Death when she asked what death meant.

I think, when I'm sending her to preschool, I want her simulated by stuff that' isn't TV, intentinally. only one place I sent her to did tv, but they were a FDC, and they asked if it was ok the kids watched half an hour of TV while the carers (husband and wife team) had lunch. I was fine with this. They did so much else with the kids like parks and bushwalking. so I knew TV wasn't just the only thing going on. it was such a small part of it.

I'd be making a complaint, and moving my child out of the centre OP if you can!

#27 Olive-pip

Posted 23 September 2015 - 08:52 PM

DD was 7 when she first watched Tangled and she was really distressed in a few parts. Many children can't deal with parts of films - if she had seen it at 2, 3 or 4 years old she would've been terrified. I know we are on an extreme end of film sensitivity, and still working on it, obviously I'd be following up showing a PG film at daycare.
ETA DD had wolves and bears bad dreams following Frozen and Tangled.

Edited by Olive-pip, 23 September 2015 - 08:55 PM.

#28 JanetKing

Posted 23 September 2015 - 08:59 PM

Wow for the fees you are paying that's pretty slack!

#29 Geri72

Posted 24 September 2015 - 04:41 PM

Thanks everyone. Interesting to see a spectrum of views. I will raise it with them tomorrow.

#30 hills mum bec

Posted 24 September 2015 - 05:20 PM

I had no problem with the carer popping ABC Kids on TV in the afternoons when DD was at FDC but I wouldn't be happy with a day care centre doing it & I especially wouldn't be happy with it being a PG movie & even unhappier that it was at nap time.  I have to sign a consent form for my DD11 to watch anything rated PG at school so I wouldn't have thought this would be allowed at day care.

#31 Abcde-La-A

Posted 24 October 2015 - 08:32 PM

I think the fact that PG means PARENTAL guidance should be a clue to the childcare workers!

I wouldn't be pleased with
a) PG content being shown
b) a whole movie being shown
c) a movie being shown at sleep time.

Our centre sometimes shows an episode of Peppa Pig at the end of the day while they're cleaning up and the last handful of kids are there. I don't love it, but I'm OK with it because I appreciate that toys need to be packed away, cleaning needs to be done, and at 5.55pm the kids are too zonked to be doing anything much more than that anyway!

Honestly, maybe I'm a massive sook, but there are G rated movies I would prefer DS didn't watch without me - he gets a bit upset in Finding Nemo, for example, and some of the older Disney G movies can be distressing - Bambi and Dumbo spring to mind!

#32 CG123

Posted 24 October 2015 - 09:09 PM

I work in a primary school in Victoria and any PG movie WE show to any class, Prep to Year 6, must have written consent from parents. The title must also been named so parents are fully informed.

So in saying that, I'd be annoyed that my pre-school-aged child watched a PG movie.

I would not be annoyed at the "lack of learning" during all the play based activities though. Play-based is the way to go. Kids have got a minimum of 11 and potentially another 20 years of formal education coming their way.

#33 Overtherainbow

Posted 24 October 2015 - 09:13 PM

Every school I've been at have required parent permission slips to be signed if we watch any pg movie.  I'd expect the same in a childcare.

I don't have a problem with some tv at daycare but I think it should be limited with options for chn who don't want to watch it.  If the movie is on for quiet time, chn should have the option of a story, puzzle or another quiet relaxing activity instead.

#34 Geri72

Posted 27 October 2015 - 12:11 PM

Update - I raised it with the centre leader and she said she wasn't aware of it and it is against their policy which only allows for use for educational purpose for 10mins at a time. She did follow up and let me know that the staff member had been spoken to and given a warning. She is a senior member of staff who apparently said she wanted to give the kid's a treat. I suspect she was just being lazy as it's not her class and she is leaving to go to another centre. Anyway, hopefully it won't happen again soon.

#35 Nobodyelse

Posted 27 October 2015 - 12:20 PM

Watching a movie during rest time in the older rooms is actually very common. I visit child care centres and kinders as part of my job. Different ones every week. A movie after lunch with the lights low is a widely used down time method. I don't see it in any rooms under 4 though. Only in kinder (VIC), so 4+.

I'm not a fan, personally. I was a bit peeved when I found out DS had seen Frozen. More because I hate Frozen. But still. Seems a bit odd. There are better ways to do quiet time than to get them into the habit of watching tv.

As for the playing not learning thing. In Victoria, there isn't a lot of sit down learning being done in pre-school/kinder. It is 90% play based learning at that age.

#36 Riotproof

Posted 27 October 2015 - 12:30 PM

View PostDrowninginferal, on 27 October 2015 - 12:20 PM, said:

Watching a movie during rest time in the older rooms is actually very common. I visit child care centres and kinders as part of my job. Different ones every week. A movie after lunch with the lights low is a widely used down time method. I don't see it in any rooms under 4 though. Only in kinder (VIC), so 4+.

I'm not a fan, personally. I was a bit peeved when I found out DS had seen Frozen. More because I hate Frozen. But still. Seems a bit odd. There are better ways to do quiet time than to get them into the habit of watching tv.

As for the playing not learning thing. In Victoria, there isn't a lot of sit down learning being done in pre-school/kinder. It is 90% play based learning at that age.

Yes, but there's not a lit of learning being done during a full length movie. Play school episode, maybe.

#37 Nobodyelse

Posted 27 October 2015 - 12:36 PM

View PostRiotproof, on 27 October 2015 - 12:30 PM, said:

Yes, but there's not a lit of learning being done during a full length movie. Play school episode, maybe.

I know. I did say I wasn't a fan of the method. I do understand the need for the educators to have quiet time so they can do all the oodles of paperwork required of them. But there are better ways. I've seen kinders have beds out and do quiet reading, or lights down and quiet play or my favourite, they had someone do meditation. That was a very peaceful room to sit in that day!

View PostDrowninginferal, on 27 October 2015 - 12:20 PM, said:

^This bit was referring to...

View PostGeri72, on 23 September 2015 - 07:23 PM, said:

Broader context is that there has been a recent change in staff so things are currently unsettled. Multiple different teachers in the preschool room over the course of each week, a number of whom don't seem to have any formal qualifications. There seems to be a lot of play with not much learning happening. I know they are trying to juggle things but the wheels seem to be falling off. Am I right to say something?

^...this bit.

#38 RichardParker

Posted 27 October 2015 - 12:47 PM

View PostWoody80, on 23 September 2015 - 08:42 PM, said:

I don't believe any TV or movie should be shown at daycare or preschool, that is not what I pay them to do. PG or not. I would be very unhappy.

Same.  If anyone's going to ignore my child while he watches TV, it's me.  For free.

#39 CallMeFeral

Posted 27 October 2015 - 12:57 PM

View PostRichardParker, on 27 October 2015 - 12:47 PM, said:

Same.  If anyone's going to ignore my child while he watches TV, it's me.  For free.

IKR? There's only a certain amount of screen time I want them to have and buggered if I'm going to let someone else be the one to get the benefit of it!

#40 liveworkplay

Posted 27 October 2015 - 01:09 PM

A movie, not so fussed as long as it wasn't a continual habit. No to PG at that age though. One of my DD's saw tangled when she was 8 and was very upset. She doesn't handle suspense well. I would have been very angry if someone let her watch it at 4.

#41 liveworkplay

Posted 27 October 2015 - 01:13 PM

Watching a movie during rest time in the older rooms is actually very common. I visit child care centres and kinders as part of my job. Different ones every week. A movie after lunch with the lights low is a widely used down time method.

My kids centres and kinder alwady played classical music and kids could read quietly if they wanted too. The stimulation of TV and quiet time seem sm oxymoron to me.

#42 Owliegirl

Posted 27 October 2015 - 02:07 PM

PG at daycare is bullsh*t. I would be up in arms over it.

Mind you I only knew Frozen was PG becaue I had to sign a form to let them show it in child care. lol.

#43 Geri72

Posted 27 October 2015 - 04:19 PM

View PostDrowninginferal, on 27 October 2015 - 12:36 PM, said:

I know. I did say I wasn't a fan of the method. I do understand the need for the educators to have quiet time so they can do all the oodles of paperwork required of them. But there are better ways. I've seen kinders have beds out and do quiet reading, or lights down and quiet play or my favourite, they had someone do meditation. That was a very peaceful room to sit in that day!

^This bit was referring to...

^...this bit.

To clarify, I am a supporter of play based learning, but there is a difference between play based learning and just playing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.