When you get fish and chips...

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#1 kpingitquiet

Posted 04 October 2015 - 04:44 PM

...what do you get and how much per person?

I can probably count with only one sock off how many times we've gotten fish & chips in the 8 years I've lived here. I just never think about it as it's not really a "thing" for me.

My husband is an obnoxious glutton who works physical jobs so stays skinny, so if I use him as a measure then I'd be eating probably 3x too much of everything!

So, when your family of (how many?) gets fish & chips, what do you order and how much do you get? 1 fillet per person? kids share 1? Min chips for sharing or multiple chip orders? Chiko rolls? Potato fritters? Crazy overpriced salads? And how much winds up on your own plate?

Edited by kpingitquiet, 04 October 2015 - 04:44 PM.

#2 Acidulous Osprey

Posted 04 October 2015 - 04:46 PM

It depends on the fish and chip shop.

Some of them are wildly generous with the chips and some not so much.

I know this is v helpful.

#3 seayork2002

Posted 04 October 2015 - 04:47 PM

Forthe 3 of us we get 3 fish and chip's (I won't share with anyone! ☺)

And mushy peas and malt vinegar if we can get it

Edited by seayork2002, 04 October 2015 - 04:48 PM.

#4 Acidulous Osprey

Posted 04 October 2015 - 04:47 PM

I don't blame you.

3 chip's don't go far between 3 people.

#5 .Jerry.

Posted 04 October 2015 - 04:52 PM

Depends on the shop and depends on the fish.

When I am feeling generous I get good reef fish fillets and then usually only 2 due to price.  Usually $5 serve of chips.  Daughter likes calamari, so a serve or two of those and a serve of prawn cutlets.
Always get tartare sauce.
Sometimes I get a pineapple fritter for dessert. :ph34r:

Edited.... This is for two adults and one 9 year old

Edited by .Jerry., 04 October 2015 - 04:56 PM.

#6 Jane Jinglebells

Posted 04 October 2015 - 04:54 PM

We normally get a medium serve of chips, a fish fillet for each adult (2) and a fish cocktail for each child (2), six calamari rings and two potato scallops.

Invariably I can only eat half my fish and a handful of chips, and I always think I want a potato scallop and then eat half of it at best. We really should just get a small chips and I could give half my fish to a child.

There are always heaps of leftovers which DH then eats cold at midnight with chilli sauce all over it.

#7 got my tinsel on

Posted 04 October 2015 - 04:58 PM

For adults and older kids - one piece of fish each.

For very young kids, share a piece of fish between 2 or 3 kids.  Or buy a suitable amount of fish cocktails - our local fish and chip shop does good sized fish cocktails.

For the three of us (DD is now 15) we get a medium chips ($5)

When we have extra people we get a large chips.

Occasionally we will add 6 calamari rings to the order for the three of us.

#8 Treasure Island

Posted 04 October 2015 - 04:59 PM

A piece of fish each and about $5 chips for 4. DS9 doesn't always eat all his fish, I usually finish it :ninja: sometimes I get a couple of prawn cutlets. I love fish though and could eat heaps.

Edited by ~~Cleopatra~~, 04 October 2015 - 04:59 PM.

#9 BornToLove

Posted 04 October 2015 - 05:02 PM

Two fillets, a large chips, and salad for 2 adults and one child. Our local shop has big serves though, so that is usually too much for us.

#10 Lifesgood

Posted 04 October 2015 - 05:03 PM

For the four of us we get two adult sized servings of grilled snapper and chips, plus a serving of grilled whiting fillets (no chips) for the kids to share. The chips in our adult servings are then split 4 ways and even then we usually throw some away. We make a mixed salad to have with it.

#11 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 04 October 2015 - 05:04 PM

Our fish shop does huge fillets so one for adults. kids share 2 between them.

We get a potato cake each.

$10 of chips. They servings are on the smaller side.

Sometimes we might have some crumbed prawns or calamari, depending on how hungry we are.

Always add 6 bits of crumbed camembert.

#12 JustOneMorePlease

Posted 04 October 2015 - 05:08 PM

For 2 adults and 3 kids we usually get $5 worth of chips 6 dim sims and 6 potato cakes. Dh and I have two pot cakes and 2 dimmies each. The older 2 have one pot cake and one dim each and younger just has chips. We very rarely get fish as it's just too expensive. I love it so much if we do though!

#13 Jupiter123

Posted 04 October 2015 - 05:10 PM

Now I want fish and chips instead I have chicken wings because it's grand final night.

Back to your question, I am the only one that eats fish and chips so it's just one piece of fish and smallest chips I can get.

#14 Princess Holly

Posted 04 October 2015 - 05:14 PM

For 2 adults and 2 kids (7&2) we usually get 5 fish, 6 prawns, 6 calamari and $5 chips. I get 2 pineapple fritters for myself too as no one else eats them.

#15 cardamom

Posted 04 October 2015 - 05:14 PM

I usually only get fish and chips when I'm visiting my family. They live regionally and the servings are very generous compared to what I could get here in inner-city Melb.

For a family of five, we would get:

A piece of fish each for those who eat it
Two to three 'things' each for non-fish eaters, eg. a dim sim, potato scallop
$3-4 worth of chips

Hungry teen brothers might get a Chiko roll or something as well as fish.

We never get salads as they're crap, better off making our own.

#16 MummyHILI

Posted 04 October 2015 - 05:19 PM

For two adults and one 3 year old we get 1  junior fish, 2 flake, 2 dim sums, 2 potato cakes and min chips (all but the junior fish is part of a meal deal), normally about half of the chips are left over. DH has two dim sums, 1 potato cake, some chips and a piece of flake. My DS and I share the remainder.

#17 Weirdly Sane

Posted 04 October 2015 - 05:21 PM

I love fish and chips but somehow I love the idea more than the reality most of the time IYKWIM?
Always end up with too many chips, and struggle to get through a whole piece of fish.

We sometimes get fish and chips with my Dad.  Last time we got a piece of fish each for him and for me, 2 dim sims for DS, 2 crab sticks for DS, 2 scallops for Dad (NOT to be confused with potato cakes!!!) and minimum chips.

I ate one of Dad's scallops, DS ate 1/3 my fish, and we threw away half the chips.

Salads?  With fish and chips?  The only vegetable matter besides potato that may be involved is a pickled onion.

But now my mouth is watering...

#18 Bearynice

Posted 04 October 2015 - 05:26 PM

Family of two adults and two kids... $5 chips. Piece of fish for adults. 2crabsticks per child. 4 potato cakes.

I love good fresh fish n chips. I feel ill after yucky frozen fish.

#19 whatnamenow

Posted 04 October 2015 - 05:27 PM

If you are in there at a relatively slow time and ask they will show you what a min chip order is in volume.  You should then be able to get a rough idea.  

We usually get for 2 adults 3 teens and a toddler 2 kids meals ( nuggets chips and popper) 2 calamari and chips and a cod and chips and another min serve of chips.

Except if we go to one place where the serves are that big we can drop one of the calamari. And chips and the min serve.

#20 Kalanchoe

Posted 04 October 2015 - 05:28 PM

DH, DS1 (nearly 3) & I share the following:
1 grilled salmon & chips, 1 calamari & chips (usually 12 calamari rings) & 3 potato scallops.

Aw now I really want fish & chips :(

#21 LittleMissPink

Posted 04 October 2015 - 05:32 PM

1 adult and 2 smallish kids- 1 serve of chips, 6 fish cocktails, a couple of scallops, sometimes calamari, and sauce.

Always under $20 for the lot.

#22 JinksNewton

Posted 04 October 2015 - 05:35 PM

For two adults, one child, we get three pieces of flake, minimum chips, maybe 2 pineapple fritters. Usually DH goes and gets it with DS and I make a green salad to go with it while they're gone :)

#23 OneDayDreamer

Posted 04 October 2015 - 05:43 PM

1 piece of fish per person - (Blue grenadier for me), minimum chips, 2 dimsims for DH, and 2 potato cakes for me.  Usually comes to well under $20
Minimum chips more than 4 people could reasonably eat, usually :)

#24 Renovators delight

Posted 04 October 2015 - 05:48 PM

For 2 adults, a 3yo and 2yo - 3 pieces grilled fish, minimum chips, 2x potato cake (we are in VIC). Sometimes a chiko roll.

#25 Ducky*Fuzz

Posted 04 October 2015 - 05:48 PM

We get a med chips, 4x potato scallops, 1 x battered sav and 6 x fish cocktails. that is more than enough for the 4 of us.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.