Jump to content

First round of chemo didn't achieve remission


  • Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#26 mum2brodie

Posted 20 June 2016 - 11:47 AM

I am sorry to read this post about your partner.
I am stage 4 bowel cancer.  And have gone through 15 rounds of chemo and antibody. I am waiting on scans at the moment as I have been back in hospital with kidney infections.  To find out if I am still in remission (rare for stage 4).

I hope that maybe they can try him on the new antibodies that are out there.  And I hope he can beat this.

#27 HaveHope

Posted 24 June 2016 - 09:52 AM

Thankyou MrsLexiK and BoysGalore+1girly.

It looks like a clinical trial will be our next step assuming he meets the criteria(s). It just really sucks that options are so limited for this type of leukaemia and that we are now facing a option that has so many unknowns.

#28 xxyzed

Posted 24 June 2016 - 09:59 AM

I'm so sorry Hope. I find it helps to concentrate more on today than what tomorrow may bring. Easier said than done but how is your husband feeling right now? Is he able to build his strength ahead of his next treatment.

#29 HaveHope

Posted 24 June 2016 - 10:01 AM

View Postmum2brodie, on 20 June 2016 - 11:47 AM, said:

I am sorry to read this post about your partner.
I am stage 4 bowel cancer.  And have gone through 15 rounds of chemo and antibody. I am waiting on scans at the moment as I have been back in hospital with kidney infections.  To find out if I am still in remission (rare for stage 4).

I hope that maybe they can try him on the new antibodies that are out there.  And I hope he can beat this.

Thank you mum2brodie :bighug:

I am so sorry you are going through this and to read what you have been through too.I hope and pray you remain in remission and beat the kidney infections. Keep on fighting the fight and never give up hope. Xx

Edited by *Hope*, 24 June 2016 - 10:17 AM.


#30 HaveHope

Posted 24 June 2016 - 10:16 AM

View Postxxyzed, on 24 June 2016 - 09:59 AM, said:

I'm so sorry Hope. I find it helps to concentrate more on today than what tomorrow may bring. Easier said than done but how is your husband feeling right now? Is he able to build his strength ahead of his next treatment.

Thank you xxyzed. You are right and we are trying to just take it day by day but it's so hard to not go there. Physically he looks ok, he's put on weight but he sleeps a lot and tires easily. He said he feels ok so assuming he can remain well he'll be in reasonable condition for a trial, it will just be whether his heart is strong enough. I know they'll probably test him on everything before it starts though.

#31 xxyzed

Posted 24 June 2016 - 12:27 PM

They will check everything again before they commence the next treatment. I found that even when very unwell my husband still met the criteria for treatments. You need to remember he wouldn't need the treatment if he was well so the benchmarks may not be as high as you think. Positive thoughts and fingers crossed.

#32 alwayshappy

Posted 28 June 2016 - 03:06 PM

Hope, please make sure you look after yourself.  There are likely to be carer support groups for partners of those with cancer. It's a damn tough road, scary and overwhelming.
A lack of remission just ups the ante and creates more fear - so very unfair.
Please contact the leukemia association to see if there are support networks for you too.

#33 mum2brodie

Posted 11 July 2016 - 04:34 PM

View Post*Hope*, on 24 June 2016 - 09:52 AM, said:

Thankyou MrsLexiK and BoysGalore+1girly.

It looks like a clinical trial will be our next step assuming he meets the criteria(s). It just really sucks that options are so limited for this type of leukaemia and that we are now facing a option that has so many unknowns.

Sadly for all cancers there is very limited funding that goes into research.  Especially for finding cures and treatment for Stage 4 people.  We need to get the support from people like Pink and McGrath foundations do.  People think of pink and donate.  But so many of us are young and sick due to more serious  cancers.  Dont get me wrong yes people do die from Breast  Cancer but less likely these days due to the amount of donations and funding.

I am still in remission but that does not mean I am cured as there is no cure for stage 4 bowel cancer - Remission just means that the cancer is sleeping and we need to keep on chemo to kill off any rough cancer cells floating around.

I wish all of the hope and best of lucky.  Feel free to PM and vent away if you need it.

#34 xxyzed

Posted 28 July 2016 - 10:49 PM

Hi Hope. Thinking of you and hoping that you and your partner are doing better.

#35 HaveHope

Posted 30 July 2016 - 12:17 PM

View Postalwayshappy, on 28 June 2016 - 03:06 PM, said:

Hope, please make sure you look after yourself.  There are likely to be carer support groups for partners of those with cancer. It's a damn tough road, scary and overwhelming.
A lack of remission just ups the ante and creates more fear - so very unfair.
Please contact the leukemia association to see if there are support networks for you too.

Thank you alwayshappy, you are right I need to look after my self too. I sometimes feel like I get lost in all of this. But I have been speaking to a counsellor at the hospital and do have a support group through the Leukaemia Foundation.

#36 HaveHope

Posted 30 July 2016 - 12:31 PM

View Postmum2brodie, on 11 July 2016 - 04:34 PM, said:



Sadly for all cancers there is very limited funding that goes into research.  Especially for finding cures and treatment for Stage 4 people.  We need to get the support from people like Pink and McGrath foundations do.  People think of pink and donate.  But so many of us are young and sick due to more serious  cancers.  Dont get me wrong yes people do die from Breast  Cancer but less likely these days due to the amount of donations and funding.

I am still in remission but that does not mean I am cured as there is no cure for stage 4 bowel cancer - Remission just means that the cancer is sleeping and we need to keep on chemo to kill off any rough cancer cells floating around.

I wish all of the hope and best of lucky.  Feel free to PM and vent away if you need it.

Yes, it's really such a pity all the donations cannot go into one pot and then distributed to all areas of cancer research. I never thought we'd be in the position where clinical trials would be the only option so I totally get it. It just feels like we are getting further away from a transplant and that scares me.

I am so pleased that you are still in remission and I really hope that continues. Thank you for your kind thoughts and offer...I may just do that!

#37 HaveHope

Posted 30 July 2016 - 12:42 PM

View Postxxyzed, on 28 July 2016 - 10:49 PM, said:

Hi Hope. Thinking of you and hoping that you and your partner are doing better.

Hi xxyzed, thank you for thinking of us :) we are doing ok. It's been a tough month, we really feel like we are running out of options and getting further away from transplant. It feels like life is just on hold and the not knowing what's going to happen is the hardest part. We'll hopefully know soon about a clinical trial. X

#38 IkeaAddict

Posted 30 July 2016 - 12:54 PM

Big hugs OP. I hope something works soon xxx

#39 mum2brodie

Posted 05 August 2016 - 03:52 PM

Just wanted to pop my head in and see how things are going Hope.


0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

 
 
Advertisement
 

Top 5 Viewed Articles

 
Advertisement
 
 
 
Advertisement
 
 
Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.