Worried about my wife receiving the flu shot.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Futuredaddi

Posted 04 November 2015 - 02:53 PM

Hello everyone. My wife is about to be 6 weeks pregnant on Friday November 6. On November 2nd she received a preservative free flu shot. We were a little hesitant but decided to have it. After further research on "Google" (which is scary most of the times) I found out all there is to know about flu shots during pregnancy. I'm scared but don't want my wife to freak out. This is our first baby and I feel like the joy of being a father is slowly being sucked out of me. Please, if there are any women out there who have given birth to healthy babies after receiving the flu shot early in pregnancy please share your stories. I'm in need of encouragement right now. Thank you.

#2 Bono25

Posted 04 November 2015 - 03:00 PM

Flu shot is fine to have :)

Congratulations!

#3 Ellie bean

Posted 04 November 2015 - 03:03 PM

My GP recommended having the flu shot in both my pregnancies and I was fine. I'm sure your wife will be fine but if you are concerned, why don't you ring Health Direct 1800 022 222, I have found them really helpful for concerns re pregnancy/ issues with my young babies etc. They might give some reassurance.

#4 MrsPuddleduck

Posted 04 November 2015 - 03:05 PM

What have you been googling? The top results for me on Google are all overwhelmingly supportive of women getting the flu shot in pregnancy.

I would definitely get it done. You do not want to get the flu when pregnant.

#5 Fourteenyears

Posted 04 November 2015 - 03:06 PM

What country are you in.

In Australia, it is recommended that pregnant women have flu vaccinations.   It is not uncommon, during flu season, for women to have it at their first GP appointment.    They are considered safe at all points in pregnancy, and are certainly much safer than a pregnant woman getting the flu, or a newborn baby getting the flu.

My second child was born premature before flu shots were given to pregnant women.  A few weeks after she was born I got the flu.  It was a very scary time for us and if I was ever to be pregnant again, I would definitely have the flu vaccination.

There is an extraordinary amount of rubbish on the internet about vaccination.  Look at who is actually providing the information, and really use your judgement as to whether it is likely to be based in actual science and credible.

There is a lot of scare mongering out there, tossing around terms like thimeresol and formaldehyde.  And yet the amount of both of those in any given vaccine is so low that it is absolutely hypocritical that these non-vaccers aren't out there campaigning against apples (which have naturally occurring formaldehyde, along with many other fruit, veg and meats) and tinned tuna.

#6 FeelingcLucky

Posted 04 November 2015 - 03:17 PM

My GP recommended I have it we pregnant. My child is healthy and no issue what so ever from me having it.

Please consult with your trusted GP/OB/caregiver for concerns with your wife's pregnancy to ensure you receive accurate and relevant information, instead of Google.

Best of luck.

#7 greenthumbs

Posted 04 November 2015 - 03:24 PM

Flu shots with both bubs on board - no problems here.

#8 Futuredaddi

Posted 04 November 2015 - 03:27 PM

I'm from th U.S. And I'm  staying off of google from this point forward. Thanks everyone! I think all this anxiety is stemming from it being my first child and wanting everything to go right. It was the LVN who administered the vaccine the day we went in to take a pregnancy test. We already knew we were pregnant but my wife wanted to take the test at the hospital. So maybe that added to it, knowing that it wasn't the doctor that recommended it. Also is there any added risk because she got it so early? Most women get it after their 2nd trimester.

#9 purplekitty

Posted 04 November 2015 - 03:38 PM

From the CDC.

http://www.cdc.gov/f...vacpregnant.htm

http://www.cdc.gov/f...ne/pregnant.htm

#10 FeelingcLucky

Posted 04 November 2015 - 03:39 PM

Futuredaddi - is there a nurse line you can ring in the U.S that can reassure you/offer advice? We have them here in Aus. Or perhaps could she ring her GP and ask for some advice for reassurance?

My presumption was they hold off on the flu shot until second trimester as most women feel like crap in the first with morning sickness but I'm sure some other EB members would have a better explanation.

Congratulations to you and your wife, I remember the early days feeling very anxious about a lot of things - you are not alone.

#11 purplekitty

Posted 04 November 2015 - 03:45 PM

View PostFeelingcLucky, on 04 November 2015 - 03:39 PM, said:

My presumption was they hold off on the flu shot until second trimester as most women feel like crap in the first with morning sickness but I'm sure some other EB members would have a better explanation.

For Australia.

First hit on the google search.
It's a PDF from RANZCOG.

flu vaccine in pregnancy ranzcog

#12 opethmum

Posted 04 November 2015 - 03:55 PM

Congrats and she will be fine.

It is natural what you are going through, it is ok. It is ok to feel overwhelmed and things are new for you.

If you want to google then google baby names!

#13 RTM

Posted 04 November 2015 - 04:15 PM

I would have been about 8 weeks when I had mine. So far, bubs is ridiculously healthy and progressing well.

Pregnancy and flu is a much bigger risk than pregnancy and flu shot.

It's probably not a bad idea to keep up with information on this forum even though it's an Australian site. We lived in the US for 2 years and considered having our first child over there. After a few interactions with the health system there, it was interesting to see how differently things are done knowing the Australian system. I think it's valuable to know how things are done in other countries and why.

#14 Soontobegran

Posted 04 November 2015 - 04:35 PM

What Purplekitty said.

It is not only safe but recommended at any gestation.

Lots of luck.

#15 Abcde-La-A

Posted 04 November 2015 - 05:21 PM

Yep, completely fine and recommended.

I am currently sitting next to a beautiful, healthy 3 year old who was in utero during a flu shot. :)

Congratulations to you and your wife.

#16 Moulla

Posted 24 November 2015 - 01:12 AM

Hi OP, I think it's recommended later in pregnancy so the baby has some immunity when born?
I sought out the flu shot in both my pregnancies for this reason and because I couldnt afford to get super ill, and also wanted to avoid putting our little fetus a rtisk.

#17 Fright bat

Posted 24 November 2015 - 01:23 AM

Yikes. You need to stop googling! The Internet is full of false prophets, spreading misinformation in the guise of scientific fact.

Find a family practitioner you trust. Do not Google, unless you have the knowledge to sift fact from fiction.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.