What do you plan on buying new and what will you be looking for second hand or already have?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ItIsComplicated

Posted 05 November 2015 - 11:44 AM

I thought I'd start this topic so some of us first timers can pick up ideas/suggestions to help make the preparation a little easier.

Personally I love restoring furniture so I'll be doing a cot, cupboards and rocking chair. My mum is getting a pram of our choice and I'll get a new cot mattress.
Apart from this I haven't thought about anything else yet as I'm too focused on my diy projects.

Also any must haves and things which aren't essential would be a great help :).

#2 jimbobmel

Posted 05 November 2015 - 12:18 PM

I only need to buy a pram and 2 capsules otherwise I have everything I need at this stage.
I do only have one cot but I'm toying with the idea of selling that set and getting 2 new cots and a matching change table from ikea just so I don't have to bother down the track.

#3 Mummy fab

Posted 05 November 2015 - 02:15 PM

We got rid of most things after having baby no.4.

Ill be buying another Donkey as a pram and a tula carrier, and a bassinet to start with but other than that not much else.

My son is 2.5 now and has never slept in a cot so im not going to get one of those until this baby is ready to come out of the bassinet.

This time around i definately know what i need and what i dont.  ie. dont need a bath as after having sections ive always found it much easier and quicker to bath my babies in the kitchen or laundry sink as i dont have to bend over or worry about moving heavy baths full of water, also no need for a change table, a change mat on a set of draws works just as well.

I like to spend more money on the items that i will get loads of use out of and will also have great resale value when its time to let them go (ie. the pram).

Im tossing up if i should buy a capsule or not, so ill think about that a bit later and keep an eye out for any good specials.

#4 ItIsComplicated

Posted 07 November 2015 - 08:12 AM

After a trip to baby bunting and getting totally overwhelmed. I think I need to start making a list of things I will need vs things I want. And also do some more research on car seat/capsuals and prams.

#5 JetSetr

Posted 09 November 2015 - 04:36 PM

We'll be buying:
Pram
Capsule
Cot

I'd like to restore/buy second hand:
Chest of drawers (double as change table)
Baby bouncer

I've got an ikea rocking chair that will work nicely too. My hope is not to accumulate too much stuff ☺

#6 yellowledbetter

Posted 09 November 2015 - 05:21 PM

I think I will be buying a joolz day pram/stroller and a car seat from my sister. Will be purchasing a cot and change table second hand from gumtree I think. I figure you can get some lovely things in great condition second hand and the baby isn't ever going to know/care that we didn't buy it brand new!

Will buy cot mattress, Ikea high chair, change table pad thing and other things new.

I would also really like a comfortable rocking chair for the nursery but I don't know where to start!

Edited by yellowledbetter, 09 November 2015 - 05:22 PM.

#7 Babyno4

Posted 09 November 2015 - 05:24 PM

Nothing but clothes I think and even then probably not as I have a lot left from ds2.

I still have capsule from ds3 and bassinet and cot that has been used for all of my boys.

Oh I just remembered a swing or bouncer type thing is wha to will buy. I gave mine away.

#8 mummaniki

Posted 09 November 2015 - 09:31 PM

Yep we got rid of all our baby stuff when we moved interstate so we won't be going over board this time baby doesn't care and no one really goes in baby's room im getting a chest of drawers to refurbish and a cot that's it we have a pram from our son and bath in the sink second child syndrome in full swing haha

#9 i2cute4words

Posted 30 March 2016 - 11:48 PM

Third child on her way. Kept cot and stroller from dd2 (almost 6yo) along with a handful of wraps and linen.
Second hand bought/received:
2x capsule that fits stroller
Bassinet
Bumbo seat (was $10 so figure it's worth a go)
Swing
Change mat/table
Baby bath
Decent handful of 0000 clothes and a couple of 000 clothes
More bedding incl blankets and wraps
Electric breast pump

New:
Bottle set and steriliser and warmer (plan to express at least occasionally)
Manduca carrier
Playmat/gym
Cloth nappies and wipes (previously used disposables)
Nappy buckets
Nappy sprayer (bidet)
Swaddling wraps and zip up swaddles
More Wraps (end of June winter baby)
A handful of cute 0000 and 000 clothes (couldn't resist!)

Also invested in some new (because I gave all my old ones away after dd2) Bonds maternity bras (with padding), Target maternity nursing singlets (also padded), bamboo breast pads (I'm a big leaker), a couple of Target nursing tops and a couple of random Emerson nursing singlets (not padded) for night time.

#10 KyZah

Posted 20 June 2016 - 10:01 PM

I'm sorting the nursery for my next bub now and the only thing I have bought new is a Moses Basket - I loaned a friends last time, however used it so often with my first son that it's totally worth the investment! We even took it to the beach for his snoozes :p

I got mine from here - they are seriously gorgeous if you are wanting something a little different!
http://www.zarparint...ollections/baby

Also I recommend a Stretchy wrap carrier

During the day my bub only had his morning sleeps in his moses basket - so I had him on me in the arvos in the wrap...  (fingers crossed next one likes to sleep more!)
I used the brand Boba - however I have seen another brand called Solly Baby Carrier, or baby wraps and they look beautiful!  Not sure where they are based though.

Muslin fabric swaddle wraps have been fantastic as well - I use these constantly for everything!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.