Need some advice from the wise EB'ers :)

• Please log in to reply
158 replies to this topic

#151 Jingleflea

Posted 10 January 2016 - 08:26 AM

20 minutes I can do, but once you cross into the other side of town...
North and south divide is a THING here. We don't have the wrong side of the tracks but we do have north v south lol. And when friends moved northside we all thought they were MAD.

The vast majority of us grew up on the south, all went to school here, all stayed on this side when we moved out of home.

I had a friend move from Melbourne years ago, she went from Page to Weston for dinner one night and we were all wondering WHY, but she'd think nothing of travelling an hour or 2 for dinner in Melbourne. We've got it so easy here lol.

#152 pinkandgold

Posted 10 January 2016 - 09:58 AM

View PostSpikey2, on 10 January 2016 - 08:11 AM, said:

Yep, you can pick the ex-Sydney siders, we are the ones laughing hysterically when people complain about a 20 minute commute...

I cannot wait until I take my last hour train ride home from work.

View PostJingle Flea, on 10 January 2016 - 08:26 AM, said:

North and south divide is a THING here. We don't have the wrong side of the tracks but we do have north v south lol.

I have heard of this! Also heard how many people would just stay on their side and driving to the other side is like one massive trek.

what suburbs are the north and south?

#153 Jane Jetson

Posted 10 January 2016 - 10:09 AM

View PostSpikey2, on 09 January 2016 - 04:27 PM, said:

Canberrans view on less desirable suburbs is pretty um, adorably naive.

This! When we moved here there were a lot of dire warnings about Charnwood. I go there and it's... well, it's just a suburb like any other I was used to in Sydney. A bit more homogenous, maybe.

Ditto the apparently awful 20-minute commutes. Canberra is kind of like a little Toytown bubble of middle-class unreality.

#154 Jingleflea

Posted 10 January 2016 - 10:17 AM

Tuggeranong, Weston Creek and Woden are all south, Belconnen, Gunghalin and Civic are all north. Those are areas, not suburbs.
Each area is then broken down into suburbs.
Basically it's once you go past Black Mountain(Glen Loch Interchange road area) is the divide.

#155 blimkybill

Posted 10 January 2016 - 10:59 AM

View Postpinkandgold, on 09 January 2016 - 08:56 AM, said:

Hi everyone -

So I need some reassurance :( I read over this thread and realised the suburb we will be moving to is one of the mentioned "avoid" :( When we looked at the property we thought it was fine and the drive there seemed fine - nothing really screamed out red flags or any obvious govt housing etc.

We liked the place due to its location - close to bus stops and only a 10 minute drive to my work.

I know we can always move once our lease is up but with the stress of this move, I am now paranoid of where we will be living!

Luckily,  the school DS will be going to is not one of the feeder schools in the area. We got him in as an out of area enrolment (already confirmed) at another school which was our first choice school.

Don't panic! I agree with others than Canberra doesn't really have any genuinely bad suburbs. Some are upper middle class and some are just lower to middle middle class, really. A couple of suburbs in West Belconnen (where you might be) have a higher than average proportion of public housing. But not enough to overwhelm the area. The shopping centres in the so called less than desirable suburbs are still nice. And all of the older suburbs (if you are west Belconnen somewhere) have lots of great outdoor spaces for walking and recreation. You won't know yourself when you start that 10 minute commute! I hope you love Canberra.

#156 blimkybill

Posted 10 January 2016 - 11:06 AM

Oh and I would just ignore the stupid North/south thing. It's just a nonsense. The way some people talk, you would think they don't know you can drive across town very quickly. As a relative newcomer, I just don't think about it.

Although I did have a colleague who never, ever drove across to "the other side". Weird.

#157 BadCat

Posted 10 January 2016 - 11:14 AM

I've lived in Canberra all my life and the only time I ever hear about the so called North South divide is on EB.  Otherwise I've never come across it at all.

And others are right.  There are no bad suburbs in Canberra, only bad neighbours.

#158 newbub2014

Posted 10 January 2016 - 12:16 PM

Yep just wanted to agree with PPs, don't stress about your suburb. I'm originally from Sydney and its A LOT different there with the 'bad' / 'good' areas.

I'm South side and being in a cheaper suburb and a cheaper area of that suburb (ie there are some more expensive houses up on the hill, but where I am is like entry level priced 3 bedroom houses)... I've never had any issues with neighbours etc, no one hoons up our street, children play in the street all the time... and I feel very safe here despite living alone with 18 month old DS.

I also used to babysit for a family who paid 1.5 million for their house... Literally 3 minutes walk up the road was a massive housing commission area with some pretty crappy parks/shops etc.

So yeah I wouldn't worry too much about your suburb at all. As a former Sydneysider I would never move back there, despite having family and a lot more friends there. I just can't do the traffic and house prices etc. I love my 9 minute drive to work!! Its 20 minutes when I have to drop DS off at day care because it's 5 minutes in the wrong direction, but that's nothing on Sydney commute times!

#159 pinkandgold

Posted 10 January 2016 - 03:38 PM

Thanks so much everyone! I am very much reassured now and looking back at our time inspecting the property and its surrounds, I didn't think it was bad at all. No housing in the immediate vicinity either.

"There's no bad suburbs,  just bad neighbours". It is the people after all that make the suburb.

We are not in Charnwood - that suburb for some reason stuck in my head as the one to absolutely avoid.

Anyway back to packing!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.