Need some advice from the wise EB'ers :)

• Please log in to reply
158 replies to this topic

#51 pinkandgold

Posted 19 November 2015 - 08:21 PM

View PostCarrie_zmatik, on 19 November 2015 - 06:24 PM, said:

Also this  AFP website is useful comparing the crime rate of different Canberra suburbs.

http://www.police.ac...rime-statistics

What a helpful link!

Belconnen has the most! :( :(

#52 pinkandgold

Posted 20 November 2015 - 06:41 AM

Would anyone have an idea on how much removalists would cost from Sydney to Canberra?

Any recommendations as well? Feel free to PM me.

I am on the fence about hiring removalists as we don't actually have a lot of furniture to move.  I am thinking about just hiring a small truck and have a friend drive it down and up for us.

I don't think all our stuff will fill up a huge truck that removalists often use and I am terrified of our belongings getting lost, broken things, delayed arrivals etc.

#53 Hayleymumof3

Posted 20 November 2015 - 06:49 PM

View PostCarrie_zmatik, on 18 November 2015 - 08:39 PM, said:

I would personally avoid Holt, Higgins, Macgregor, Dunlop and Charnwood.

I would love to know what's wrong with these suburbs?

I have found Holt to be one of the nicer suburbs we have lived in Nice neighbours, friendly.

My Kids go to Kingsford Smith and while I have some issues with communication between teachers and parents(which the NEW principal will be working on next year) my kids have flourished at this school.

And a new Vp has started tackling the bullying issues and has demanded a Zero tolerance approach.  They are slowly but surely turning themselves around.

#54 Jane Jetson

Posted 20 November 2015 - 07:16 PM

We lived in Higgins for years. It was nice. The shops were crap, but you could say that of a lot of further-in suburbs too. At least they're not Giralang shops.

Glad to hear KSS is getting over its teething trouble, too.

#55 Hayleymumof3

Posted 21 November 2015 - 11:57 AM

Holt shops are crap but just down the road is Kippax and 10 minutes down the road is the Belco mall so it's not all bad.

Charnwood has a great noodle and dumpling house, Florey has King Fook's(or will when the fire damage is gone), Kippax has the magpies club and the Raiders club that does great meals, Charnwood has the Labor Club as does Belconnen.

There are plans in the works for a redevelopment of Kippax and I am pretty sure they plan to expand "west" belconnen.

#56 Jane Jetson

Posted 21 November 2015 - 12:18 PM

Love King Fook's. Hope they're up and running again quickly. I'm still dirty about Jabal's Halal not reopening. :(

#57 BadCat

Posted 21 November 2015 - 12:29 PM

View Postpinkandgold, on 19 November 2015 - 08:21 PM, said:

What a helpful link! Belconnen has the most! :( :(

Only Belconnen town centre, which you'd expect of any town centre.

The suburbs of Belconnen are no worse, and many are actually considerably better than many of the expensive inner suburbs.

Edited by BadCat, 21 November 2015 - 12:30 PM.

#58 pinkandgold

Posted 29 November 2015 - 09:45 AM

View PostMonket, on 19 November 2015 - 02:17 PM, said:

I grew up in Higgins and it wasn't horrible. Isn't Canberra more made up of the have-a-lots and the haves?

I was going to ask about Higgins in particular as the housing seems a bit more affordable and not a long drive into Belconnen?  Looking at the crime stats, its actually on the somewhat lower scale compared to its surrounding suburbs.

What would you say the demographic would be? Mainly families? Any government housing?

Looking to see if we can get DS into Miles Franklin as an out of area enrolment (I checked their website and they do accept out of area enrolments subject to availability - we will obviously call first). Latham PS would be next on our list and then Macquarie PS ... so just looking for some affordable suburbs we can live in :(

#59 pinkandgold

Posted 29 November 2015 - 07:12 PM

View PostLunaMombie, on 29 November 2015 - 06:53 PM, said:

Most if not all canberra suburbs have government housing.  There are blocks of flats or small areas of townhouses in some places some of which have a reputation and I'd avoid, others not a problem but every suburb has scattered government housing.  Its generally not clumped together in canberra.

Could you be specific in what areas they are? Feel free to PM me :) I am so worried about purchasing a home only to find out we live next to govt housing. How can we tell?

There are two houses on our street in Aranda which is one of the most expensive suburbs in belconnen.  We're the cheapest littlest house on the block.  
I'd avoid living right next to some of the government flats (have had friends living in some dodgy ones), but other than that it really doesn't matter.

I don't mind being the littlest or the cheapest on the street,  as long as its a GOOD street :) I mentioned before we are minimalists anyway and are after a 2 bedder (if we could get 3, that's a bonus).

#60 pinkandgold

Posted 29 November 2015 - 07:34 PM

I am wondering now though if we should expand our suburb search to broaden our options in our price range. My main concern though is the commute time to and from work :(

Anyone have any suggestions for suburbs outside the Belconnen district we can also consider? Commute time max 20mins?

#61 Carrie_zmatik

Posted 29 November 2015 - 08:01 PM

View Postpinkandgold, on 29 November 2015 - 07:34 PM, said:

I am wondering now though if we should expand our suburb search to broaden our options in our price range. My main concern though is the commute time to and from work :(

Anyone have any suggestions for suburbs outside the Belconnen district we can also consider? Commute time max 20mins?

Anywhere in Belconnen is under 20 mins, I would say under 10 minutes. If Miles Franklin is your first choice what about Melba or Evatt?

#62 pinkandgold

Posted 29 November 2015 - 08:04 PM

View PostCarrie_zmatik, on 29 November 2015 - 08:01 PM, said:

Anywhere in Belconnen is under 20 mins, I would say under 10 minutes. If Miles Franklin is your first choice what about Melba or Evatt?

Our budget for a 2 bedder is $350k max and there isn't many (if at all) in those suburbs :/

#63 Carrie_zmatik

Posted 29 November 2015 - 08:08 PM

Flynn borders Melba and is on the mountain so gets lovely views. Are there any in Flynn? Spence borders Melba on the other side and might be more affordable.

#64 pinkandgold

Posted 29 November 2015 - 08:14 PM

View PostCarrie_zmatik, on 29 November 2015 - 08:08 PM, said:

Flynn borders Melba and is on the mountain so gets lovely views. Are there any in Flynn? Spence borders Melba on the other side and might be more affordable.

Thanks ill check out those suburbs :)

#65 pinkandgold

Posted 29 November 2015 - 08:31 PM

View PostLunaMombie, on 29 November 2015 - 08:11 PM, said:

Mostof gungahlin area ccould commute to belconnen in that time.  

Thanks I've broadened my search to this district. Any school recommendations or specific suburbs?

#66 blimkybill

Posted 29 November 2015 - 10:22 PM

If you widen your search to Gungahlin suburbs you will have a lot more options to choose from in your price range. They will also be newer.
You could look at Ngunnawal or Palmerston for 20 year old townhouses, or Franklin, Harrison, Gungahlin, Casey for new townhouses and apartments. Like this:
http://www.allhomes....a/1317098614811

#67 pinkandgold

Posted 30 November 2015 - 05:31 AM

View Postblimkybill, on 29 November 2015 - 10:22 PM, said:

If you widen your search to Gungahlin suburbs you will have a lot more options to choose from in your price range. They will also be newer.
You could look at Ngunnawal or Palmerston for 20 year old townhouses, or Franklin, Harrison, Gungahlin, Casey for new townhouses and apartments. Like this:
http://www.allhomes....a/1317098614811

Thank you :)
Would you know the commute time to and from Belconnen to/from Ngunnawal? I saw a couple of townhouses there in our price range :)

We don't mind if its old or new ... obviously as long as it isn't completely dated/broken/run down ... as we can make our own adjustments and improvements. As long as the street and neighbourhood is good and commute time, then we are fine.

I was looking at Gold Creek Primary as a potential school for DS and they have a gifted and talented program ... has anyone had any experience with this school? Would you know which suburb/s fall into the catchment area?

Edited by pinkandgold, 30 November 2015 - 05:31 AM.

#68 blimkybill

Posted 30 November 2015 - 05:55 AM

Ngunnawal to Belconnen would be 15 minutes in a car. Longer by bus as it would probably be 2 buses. But really Canberra is easy to get around!
There is a map somewhere online showing catchment areas.
I cant get think link up but google act school priority enrolment areas 2016.
Personally I think the townhouses in Ngunnawal are great value for money. Not as new and shiny as some areas but you get more space, many have a bit of a yard.

#69 pinkandgold

Posted 30 November 2015 - 07:02 AM

View Postblimkybill, on 30 November 2015 - 05:55 AM, said:

Ngunnawal to Belconnen would be 15 minutes in a car. Longer by bus as it would probably be 2 buses. But really Canberra is easy to get around!
There is a map somewhere online showing catchment areas.
I cant get think link up but google act school priority enrolment areas 2016.
Personally I think the townhouses in Ngunnawal are great value for money. Not as new and shiny as some areas but you get more space, many have a bit of a yard.

15 minutes by car is perfect.
20 mins max was the commute time I was aiming for.
At the moment I travel 50 minutes on a train, one way, and my main concerns have been the time it takes getting back home in case of emergency and also not being able to do drop offs and pick ups. If I can avoid this in Canberra, I would be one happy lady!  

Thanks I will check out that website!

#70 pinkandgold

Posted 30 November 2015 - 07:34 AM

Found it. Website is: http://www.allhomes.com.au/ah/act/maps
In case it may be of any use to anyone else :)

I was looking at doing out of area enrolments but reading up on it seems too much of a hassle and a headache if we don't get a place for DS. Might be better for us to buy in the suburb where DS will go to school and then won't have to worry about enrolments.

#71 Hayleymumof3

Posted 03 December 2015 - 07:04 PM

View Postpinkandgold, on 30 November 2015 - 07:02 AM, said:

15 minutes by car is perfect.
20 mins max was the commute time I was aiming for.
At the moment I travel 50 minutes on a train, one way, and my main concerns have been the time it takes getting back home in case of emergency and also not being able to do drop offs and pick ups. If I can avoid this in Canberra, I would be one happy lady!  

Thanks I will check out that website!

I am a cleaner I can make it from North Canberra to South Canberra in about 30 minutes except during peak hour times.

#72 HamsterPower

Posted 03 December 2015 - 07:31 PM

There are a lot of roadworks which have just commenced in Gungahlin as the roads arent sufficient for capacity. Will be much better when they are finished but basically every exit is now a bit worse whilst the works are underway. from Ngunnawal to Belconnen would be anywhere from 20-35 mins at the moment in peak hour ( it's a frustrating drive as it isn't very far , just undersized roads). Into the city is really frustrating at peak hour at present but again will hopefully improve.

Ngunnawal is good buying though and quite established, lots of open space and a near shopping area is being built at the moment in the next suburb which will be handy ( will have an Aldi etc).
Amaroo is a bit nicer but again the roads make it a bit slow to get out of at present.
Crace is overpriced in my opinion and a bit bland but others love it.  Palmerston is good buying and nice and close to the town centre. Amaroo or Harrison schools would be my pick of the public schools in the area. T hey are largish in size though.
Belconnen I like the inner suburbs myself, like belconnen itself. Used to live there years ago and found being able to walk to the Westfield, movies etc really convenient and the lake is great also. You should be able to get a 2 bed there in your budget. No idea on the schools in the area though.

#73 Hayleymumof3

Posted 03 December 2015 - 09:05 PM

If you don't like the ones in the PP's post there is always Casey, Just over the road from Gold creek lovely area.

#74 pinkandgold

Posted 04 December 2015 - 06:49 AM

View PostHayleymumof3, on 03 December 2015 - 07:04 PM, said:

I am a cleaner I can make it from North Canberra to South Canberra in about 30 minutes except during peak hour times.

What are the peak hour times?

#75 pinkandgold

Posted 04 December 2015 - 06:54 AM

View PostWonkydonkey, on 03 December 2015 - 07:31 PM, said:

There are a lot of roadworks which have just commenced in Gungahlin as the roads arent sufficient for capacity. Will be much better when they are finished but basically every exit is now a bit worse whilst the works are underway. from Ngunnawal to Belconnen would be anywhere from 20-35 mins at the moment in peak hour ( it's a frustrating drive as it isn't very far , just undersized roads). Into the city is really frustrating at peak hour at present but again will hopefully improve.

Ngunnawal is good buying though and quite established, lots of open space and a near shopping area is being built at the moment in the next suburb which will be handy ( will have an Aldi etc).
Amaroo is a bit nicer but again the roads make it a bit slow to get out of at present.
Crace is overpriced in my opinion and a bit bland but others love it.  Palmerston is good buying and nice and close to the town centre. Amaroo or Harrison schools would be my pick of the public schools in the area. T hey are largish in size though.
Belconnen I like the inner suburbs myself, like belconnen itself. Used to live there years ago and found being able to walk to the Westfield, movies etc really convenient and the lake is great also. You should be able to get a 2 bed there in your budget. No idea on the schools in the area though.

Any idea on when the road work would finish?

I have that thought too about living in Belconnen and having the shops walking distance etc ... but then I looked at the crime rate and its quite high. Understandable since its in a major town centre. I'm sure there is nice parts in inner Belconnen?  Just need to find them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.