Is it really important to attend my sons child care graduation?

• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

#1 Tyrannosaurus

Posted 29 November 2015 - 02:06 PM

As the title says about graduation is it really important?

He will be attending fyos next year and is having a graduation thing at childcare next week in the evening. The childcare only gave one week notice. I have a lot of things to do and activities that i cannot cancel on that day of the graduation.

Why am i feeling guilty not going? Is it a big deal to go? I would have to cancel a few activities ($40 worth )that my children are already attending  to go to this graduation.

Did you go to your children graduation?

Edited by Tyrannosaurus, 29 November 2015 - 02:07 PM.

#2 Not Escapin Xmas

Posted 29 November 2015 - 02:09 PM

I hope it's not that important because I'm missing DD's on Thursday as I'm in Singapore for work for 2 weeks and it was too good an opportunity to pass up. DH is going to take the gopro and record the whole thing for my viewing pleasure.

#3 hills mum bec

Posted 29 November 2015 - 02:09 PM

I have never heard of a child care graduation before.  I don't think it will matter if you miss it.

#4 Expelliarmus

Posted 29 November 2015 - 02:13 PM

It's not important. It's not even a thing.

Is it?

I'll do Year 7 (end of Primary School), Year 12 and the end of a degree. That's it baby, you don't graduate any time else!

#5 No Drama Please

Posted 29 November 2015 - 02:14 PM

I'm going because our daycare make a big big deal out of the graduation ceremony. They have a Christmas party and end of year party and it goes on all day (am not attending all day!). Plus they give about three months notice lol.

But if you have other stuff planned definitely don't feel guilty. Maybe just take him out for ice cream after you pick him up to celebrate? I've actually just noticed the daycare graduation being a "thing" only recently (or maybe I only noticed recently).

#6 MuddyPuddles

Posted 29 November 2015 - 03:34 PM

Daycare "graduation"? Seriously?

Um, I think she'll be okay to miss it...

ETA: My DD will finish up daycare this year and I haven't heard of this.  DH will be attending the xmas party though so if they spring something on us that day I guess he'll be there.

Edited by MsFeralPerthFembo, 30 November 2015 - 01:35 PM.

#7 Mumma3

Posted 29 November 2015 - 03:42 PM

In years to come, the only one who will remember that you didn't go will be you.
Your DS won't have a clue.
I speak from experience here - I had a primary school graduation assembly clash with a kinder graduation - same time but 20  minute drive apart.
I watched the older one, as I felt his was more of a real occasion, and then made it just in time for the morning tea for the younger one.
Of course, younger one had no idea I hadn't seen him get his certificate. I saw the photos and videos but he didn't care either way.

#8 PhillipaCrawford

Posted 29 November 2015 - 04:40 PM

Unfortunately the cc graduation is becoming a thing,  much debated amongst ece workers.  I hate it and we don't do one, however we do an end of year concert and I would be horrified if a parent chose not to be there. We have had parents schedule os trips around it,  it's very special.
It depends on how big a deal the centre makes of it,  i suggest asking.

#9 WTFJerk

Posted 29 November 2015 - 04:46 PM

Concert - yes
"graduation" - WTF?

#10 twinklestars

Posted 29 November 2015 - 04:49 PM

Childcare graduation? That is completely weird. I really don't have much more to add. It's just a weird concept.

#11 Moukmouk

Posted 29 November 2015 - 04:49 PM

A cc graduation, I would miss without a thought if it was too difficult to get there. Kkate, our preschool has an end of year concert and party. It is lovely. I would love to be there. Expect that they have put in on the last Thursday of term. All the schools here break up on the Wednesday. Preschool has explicitly said that NO siblings at all can come to the concert - younger or older. So the week before Christmas they think 30 odd families can find care for the other children for 2 hours in the morning to attend the preschool concert. Not surprisingly, lots of people aren't going. It's a real shame.

#12 luke's mummu

Posted 29 November 2015 - 04:50 PM

Ours had a big graduation ceremony. I think out of 35 kids, only 2 didn't have a parent/special person attending. They both looked a bit like fish out of water, but the staff made a big fuss of them. Is it possible for you to get a friend/relative to attend?

#13 Fossy

Posted 29 November 2015 - 04:55 PM

Seriously? What a w**k! Don't feel guilty, it's a non event! I've never heard of it and we've been at three different child care centres.
Clearly some people have way too much time on their hands if this is what they're organising....

#14 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 29 November 2015 - 05:00 PM

You must go! If you don't your child will turn into a psychopathic chainsaw murderer who pulls the wings off flies.

#15 Astrocyte

Posted 29 November 2015 - 05:05 PM

A childcare graduation!!!! Personally I find that a ridiculous concept. A child is going to have a primary school graduation and a year 12 gradation (possibly even a university graduation) so why do they need to have a one at 4 or 5 years olds for finishing pre-school. Will they have gowns and hats too.

#16 Mumma3

Posted 29 November 2015 - 05:09 PM

View Postkgtnkate, on 29 November 2015 - 04:40 PM, said:

Unfortunately the cc graduation is becoming a thing,  much debated amongst ece workers.  I hate it and we don't do one, however we do an end of year concert and I would be horrified if a parent chose not to be there. We have had parents schedule os trips around it,  it's very special.

Really? Horrified that parent missed a concert???

Kinder concerts, while lovely and beautiful Kodak moments sometimes have to be missed. I'm pleased that some people have occupations that allow them to
Schedule work trips around it, but I can't imagine that being the norm. "sorry boss, can we change those high level meetings in Boston next month. Kids got his kinder concert."

Life goes on. We get to what events we can and we sometimes unavoidably have to miss others.

Edited by Mumma3, 29 November 2015 - 05:10 PM.

#17 SplashingRainbows

Posted 29 November 2015 - 05:17 PM

Our kinder doesn't even have one. I wouldn't give it a second thought

#18 hills mum bec

Posted 29 November 2015 - 05:24 PM

Really?  I have been using various forms of child care & different centres  for over 14 years with 3 kids.  The centres they have been to will usually have an end of year picnic with a bit of a performance by the kids.  I have only been to this event once in 14 years and I really don't think I was missing much the other 13 years.  I guess my children's carers must find me horrifying & negligent.

#19 Raincloud

Posted 29 November 2015 - 05:26 PM

You should go because you're already an evil mother who uses daycare to raise your child and you don't want to screw up your kid up even more by missing this important event.

#20 Kafkaesque

Posted 29 November 2015 - 05:28 PM

Horrified? Really! I'm sure it's lovely but would hardly be high on my priorities.

#21 Dionysus

Posted 29 November 2015 - 05:32 PM

DD had a Kindy (pre-school) graduation last year. It's a thing LOL

I went, only because I work across the road and was able to duck out for 20mins.

Not that important overall

#22 annodam

Posted 29 November 2015 - 05:37 PM

Edited by annodam, 25 January 2017 - 03:26 PM.

#23 red_squirrel

Posted 29 November 2015 - 05:37 PM

Only if you think it is the highest level of education he will achieve.

So that's a no then.

Likewise for primary school graduations.

#24 Bess Marvin

Posted 29 November 2015 - 05:42 PM

Look, I don't like the 'graduation' terminology, but if it was an event DS was excited about and wanted me to be part of, I'd do what I could to be there. Including hiring babysitters or asking friends to take older kids to their events. Twee or not, if DS cares, I try my best to pretend I do too.

#25 IkeaAddict

Posted 29 November 2015 - 05:49 PM

I'm going to DS preschool graduation....we were given three months notice so I could ask for a certain shift on that day. Had I not been given notice I would've not gone and gone one of the other mums to take some pics for me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.