CCC asking for minimum $$ amount for staff Xmas gifts?

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#1 KoalaTeeTime

Posted 30 November 2015 - 12:17 PM

Hi all,

Just wanted to gauge whether or not this sounds normal for child care. It's my first time having a child in care so I'm not sure of the protocols/done thing.

My son and I love the centre he's in and the carers there- he only goes 2 days a week but I never have to worry about him and they are very good. It's a not for profit/government run centre near my work.

Anyway, the director emailed the parents saying that in lieu of all the parents getting individual gifts for the staff she would organise a collection and buy them something herself. I generally like that idea because it means a bigger/more substantial gift and she knows them better than I do anyway.

But in the email (and all subsequent reminders) she's said if we choose to contribute, it's a $40 *minimum*.

I really want to show my appreciation of the great work they do but $40 is a bit out of my budget now (Xmas, car rego and insurance, huge unforeseen water bill, etc).

Is it normal to ask for a minimum for the staff gift collection?

#2 Therese

Posted 30 November 2015 - 12:19 PM

I would not be giving $40 in your situation. I am not a big fan of being told how much is appropriate to give for a gift and especially for a Christmas present.

#3 Bam1

I think it's a good idea but no minimum should be specified. I would just pay what you can afford and what you feel is appropriate.

#4 Lucrezia Bauble

I think a "minimum" is not quite fair - maybe "as a guide people usually contribute around $x" - so you can gauge whether you are being completely ott or not quite in the ballpark. In any event, I think you should just give what you can afford.

#5 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 30 November 2015 - 12:20 PM

Ummm no. My kids classes did this and it was either $5 or $10. which is what I spend on a small gift anyway. No way would I be forking in $40, they do their job and get paid for it.

#6 F.E.B.E

Umm, that seems quite expensive to me.

The parents put in for our school teachers present and that is a suggested price of $15.

#7 Tinkle Splashes

$40 is a very high minimum!

#8 steppy

Posted 30 November 2015 - 12:21 PM

Um, I guess I wouldn't choose to contribute then.

#9 JustBeige

Posted 30 November 2015 - 12:22 PM

I've never had it for CC.  only work.  and in both those cases I would opt out if I couldnt afford it / thought I would prefer to give something else.

You dont have to opt in.  Just get the carers something from yourselves or even better something from your son.

Dragging my brain back all those years ago, I used to get them a gingerbread tree and some GF biscuits (we had a carer that was GF) . and then the kids would hand make them a card.  
The feedback I was given was they all enjoyed the tree as it was something they could snap off and have for their break.

#10 raechel82

Posted 30 November 2015 - 12:22 PM

Wow $40 seems huge. Sounds like the staff are going to have a great xmas.

#11 ali-song

Posted 30 November 2015 - 12:23 PM

Is that $40 per staff member, or $40 overall to cover all staff members?

I quite like the idea of group gifts to enable a bigger, more useful gift to be purchased, but:
a. the minimum does seem rather high, and
b. I don't like the director organizing the gift - it should be a parent, IMO.

#12 Luci

Posted 30 November 2015 - 12:24 PM

A similar thing was done at my son's school this year.  It was clearly mentioned that it was optional and the amount mentioned was a "suggestion only".

Luci

#13 steppy

Posted 30 November 2015 - 12:24 PM

Yeah. I'm imagining a pretty awesome gift for the director being included in the spoils.

#14 No Drama Please

Posted 30 November 2015 - 12:26 PM

I would be saying thanks but no thanks. $40 is totally taking the p*ss. I've never been asked for more than $10 or $15.

I especially like how she's "volunteered" to pick out the present too. Am not sure how many kids at your childcare but at ours it's about 100 so I hope she would be providing a receipt for the $4000 present as well.

#15 Sunshine streaming

Posted 30 November 2015 - 12:27 PM

Extremely rude of the director. $40 is also too much as a minimum. Though when my children were at CC I invariably had to by 4 carers gifts and would on average spend $8 per carer, so not far off. Plus by the time I gift wrap and all the effort for shopping, it could work out to the equivalent of $40.

#16 Caribou

Posted 30 November 2015 - 12:29 PM

$40! um what? is this per person? let's say the centre has about 100 kids, thats $4000!!!

What do these teachers need that's worth FOUR THOUSAND DOLLARS?!

Look, I'm grateful they do help us mind our kids so we can work, but we already pay them to do this in the first place. I wouldn't be contributing to that at all. A bunch of flowers from the parents at $1 each is surely enough?

#17 lurfest

Posted 30 November 2015 - 12:30 PM

I think some people fail to understand that a present is a gift you give someone of your own behest, not some sort of social obligation that has a minimum cost.

#18 KoalaTeeTime

Posted 30 November 2015 - 12:35 PM

steppy, on 30 November 2015 - 12:21 PM, said:

Um, I guess I wouldn't choose to contribute then.

That's the bit that gets me most, I think. If we can't afford $40 but still want to contribute we are being excluded. Surely something from everyone is better than nothing from some?

#19 Judydoll

Posted 30 November 2015 - 12:36 PM

A similar suggestion was recently raised at my P&F school meeting.   The Principal in attendance quickly squashed the idea as apparently anything over $100 must be declared.  Individual gifts of smaller valuer are ok but not a gift over that amount.  I wonder if it is similar in child care centres.

#20 MrsLexiK

Posted 30 November 2015 - 12:42 PM

$40 for the lot to me is a bargin. There are 7 careers in my sons room (some are part time but between the 7 DS1 has all of them as careers accross the week) even $10 token gift is $70. I asked the director dietary requirements and ended up changing my first plan (home made but was still going to cost more then $40 after the packaging and ingredients) and even so have had to get two different things.

#21 MarciaB

Posted 30 November 2015 - 12:44 PM

$40 is quite a lot!

I love the idea of a group present, but I think that $40 is a bit over the top.  $10 - $20 seems to be the norm around here for teacher/sports coach collections.

I would be saying no thank you I have organised something myself.  Perhaps buy a big box of chocolates for them to share, or buy something for the centre and get your kids to make a card.

#22 Perpetual Sound

Posted 30 November 2015 - 12:47 PM

$40 is a huge amount of money to be spending on semi strangers.

I wouldn't be surprised if the money is allocated to the staff xmas party.

#23 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 30 November 2015 - 12:49 PM

It's our first year at day care too. I wasn't planning on buying anything for the staff tbh!

This all feels a bit unsavoury to me.

#24 BadCat

Posted 30 November 2015 - 12:57 PM

That's off.  I woudn't give them anything at all if they're going to be like that.

#25 Caribou

Posted 30 November 2015 - 01:00 PM

Now, I'm wondering if it's a typo! you could just go in and say, here's my $4.00 contribution. when I saw the $40, it was OBVIOUSLY a typo, Nonetheless, here's the $4.00 I hope that covers the small gift for them! and walk out laughing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.