CCC asking for minimum $$ amount for staff Xmas gifts?

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#26 HappyTapper

Posted 30 November 2015 - 01:03 PM

I wouldn't be contributing on that basis.

Last year I took a couple of boxes of éclairs in on the last day for the girls to share.

#27 wombats

Posted 30 November 2015 - 01:03 PM

I like the way my department at work does things - there is a large money box on one person's desk and when things like babies, weddings, leaving etc come around people are asked to contribute to the money box.  Then it is emptied and a gift purchased.  No one actually knows who puts what in or even if everyone did contribute.  I know I vary the amount I put in depending on the event and finances at the time.

If I was asked for $40 for carers' gifts I would turn up with the money I would normally spend and hand it over with "here is my contribution". No excuses, explanations etc.  Then I would write/help my kids write cards for their carers.

#28 llamarama

Posted 30 November 2015 - 01:08 PM

That's ridiculous. I would be tempted to give them the '$40' pro-rata'd (sp?) to the number of days I go - so in your case OP, $16. As a PP said, without excusing yourself!

#29 annodam

Posted 30 November 2015 - 01:10 PM

Edited by annodam, 25 January 2017 - 03:27 PM.

#30 Fright bat

Posted 30 November 2015 - 01:15 PM

Wow people are nasty. And cheap.

$40 is a bargain.

This is not school. There are multiple teachers, my kids rooms have had a minimum of three throughout. Two kids is six teachers. Even with only one child, I'd never spend less than $20 per teacher.

Childcare workers are among the worst paid profession in Australia. These people lovingly care for your small children when you can't.

No, a gift us not an obligation, but it's NICE.

Even if you were only planning on spending $10 each, it's probably only a little bit more.

I honestly can't believe the rudeness in this thread.

#31 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 30 November 2015 - 01:17 PM

View PostFright bat, on 30 November 2015 - 01:15 PM, said:

$40 is a bargain.

This is not school. There are multiple teachers, my kids rooms have had a minimum of three throughout. Two kids is six teachers. Even with only one child, I'd never spend less than $20 per teacher.

Childcare workers are among the worst paid profession in Australia. These people lovingly care for your small children when you can't.

Even if you were only planning on spending $10 each, it's probably only a little bit more.

The only rudeness in the thread has come from you.

#32 Ianthe

Posted 30 November 2015 - 01:19 PM

That is an outrageous amount and I would be really unimpressed that the director were organising it, I don't think that is appropriate at all.

#33 MarciaB

Posted 30 November 2015 - 01:23 PM

$40 is a bargain.

Hmm - I am not sure I consider myself cheap.  I do however think $40 is a lot to contribute to a group gift at Christmas.

Honestly my childcare days are well behind me.  I can't even remember what I did at Christmas.  I did give the teachers in each of my girls rooms a $100 David Jones voucher when they "graduated" from childcare as a thank you - so that was $200 for each child as they left.

I now have 6 sport coaches, 2 music teachers, 2 band/orchestra conductors to buy gifts for at Christmas before I consider school teachers.  That is 10 gifts before school teachers are considered.  Am I going to spend $40 a go?  No.  That is $400 on extracurricular teachers alone.

Some people with children at childcare also have older kids or kids at school or large extended families who need gifts.

#34 Olive-pip

Posted 30 November 2015 - 01:28 PM

OTT. We are asked for $10 teacher donation by parent rep, and families often contribute that and get an individual present anyway.

I would have a polite conversation with the director and sort of call her out - id say , I can't afford $40 although I think a group gift is a great idea, I am able to contribute $amount.

#35 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 30 November 2015 - 01:31 PM

View PostKoalaTeeTime, on 30 November 2015 - 12:17 PM, said:

Is it normal to ask for a minimum for the staff gift collection?
I never had that happen for any of the child care centres we have used (three different towns).

Let the director that you have budgeted $x and if that isn't considered acceptable, you will not contribute.  If that happens, just give them all a large box of chocolates on the final day of care that your child is attending before Xmas.

Honestly, I have never been asked for money for the staff xmas party or gifts from any of the daycare centres we have used, let alone have them specify an "appropriate" amount.  We have had one parent organise a group xmas gift for staff at one of the centres - with an anonymous drop-off box for cash amounts (no set amount, whatever you want to contribute).  She bought a gift voucher from Dan Mourphys (help pay for drinks at the staff xmas party) and boxes  of chocolates for everyone.

#36 MerryMadrigalMadge

Posted 30 November 2015 - 01:33 PM

OTT - I've given $20 this year, at the start of the year to a class fund that buys Christmas presents for the 2 job sharing teachers, flowers for a new baby and a smaller gift on the teachers birthdays.

Same with kinder - it was $20 for the year to cover this kind of thing - and the organising came from a parent, not the school or kinder, and it was voluntary.

#37 KoalaTeeTime

Posted 30 November 2015 - 01:33 PM

We were asked to write our names on the envelopes when we dropped them off too :-(

#38 ECsMum

Posted 30 November 2015 - 01:34 PM

I don't think the $ amount is the big problem - I think the director asking for the money is the real problem.  If they want to buy gifts they can buy them with their own money/business money.  Leave it for the parents to decide what they want to do - my DD has been in CC for four years - 3 of which i have given something small to the main room carers and this year, her last year one of the parents is organizing vouchers and flowers for each of the ladies  - we can choose to contribute or not.

#39 MrsLexiK

Posted 30 November 2015 - 01:35 PM

$40 is a bargain.

I thought I was the only one

View PostMarciaB, on 30 November 2015 - 01:23 PM, said:

Hmm - I am not sure I consider myself cheap.  I do however think $40 is a lot to contribute to a group gift at Christmas.

Honestly my childcare days are well behind me.  I can't even remember what I did at Christmas.  I did give the teachers in each of my girls rooms a $100 David Jones voucher when they "graduated" from childcare as a thank you - so that was $200 for each child as they left.

I now have 6 sport coaches, 2 music teachers, 2 band/orchestra conductors to buy gifts for at Christmas before I consider school teachers.  That is 10 gifts before school teachers are considered.  Am I going to spend $40 a go?  No.  That is $400 on extracurricular teachers alone.

Some people with children at childcare also have older kids or kids at school or large extended families who need gifts.
I think it's $40 between all careers for the room. But OP may need to clarify that. $40 between my sons room would work out to around $5.60 a career. Not enough for me to pick up something nice but when pulled together with the other kids $5.60 equals a nice gift.

#40 moved

Posted 30 November 2015 - 01:35 PM

I think specifying a dollar figure like that is a bit rough. But I wouldn't not give anything just to spite them, after all, its the Director not the staff who asked for this. I'd just do whatever you normally do, be that baking something, chocolates, flowers, a card.

I spend more than that for our FDC lady, but she is very special, and I don't consider her to be a semi-stranger, but instead the woman who cares for our DS half the week (and we can afford to, obviously if you can't, you can't).

#41 KoalaTeeTime

Posted 30 November 2015 - 01:40 PM

There's 4 carers in his room, and around 15 kids a day not sure how many are full time. So it would be easy to spend $10 each to get to $40, at the same time if I made something it would cost me less but to buy it would cost more IYKWIM?

#42 Hands Up

Posted 30 November 2015 - 01:45 PM

That's weird. Our centre doesn't do anything.... a parent in our nursery room has actually organised a collection (which I have contributed to) to say thanks to the carers. I think it is a good idea that the centre stays out of it.... no FBT issues, no "we must do this every year".

#43 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 30 November 2015 - 01:51 PM

Hmmm, I was planning on spending more than $40 on DD's main carer. Then probably $30 on one other, and then maybe a box of nice biscuits or chocolates for the rest of them.

I am also going to get something for the kitchen staff - DD's dietary needs have changed over the year as we have discovered allergies and intolerances, and I am so glad that I can have confidence that she will always be served delicious, nutritious and safe food when at daycare.

ETA but if you can't afford it, you can't afford it. I'm sure a hand written card with some kind words will be sufficient.

Edited by 22tadpoles, 30 November 2015 - 01:53 PM.

#44 westielover

Posted 30 November 2015 - 01:52 PM

It is is lot of money for quite a few people. Child care is not a volunteer job, I agree not well paid but so are a lot of other positions.

I grew up in a single parent home, my father was not in the picture for a lot of reasons. My lovely Mum was a ward clerk at a govt hospital, she never saw in 32 years a raise unless it was CPI of 1 or 2%. Whilst she worked I was taken care of by govt run child care clinic and later govt supplemented family day care. We bless the staff, my family day care "Mum" and I are still in touch and I love her and her family greatly.

I *know* my Mum would have felt so upset to be asked for a donation because she was just scraping by. She would have cut cents everywhere to give the gift.

Through my Mum's hard work and providing a good education for me, I now am able to take care of her. We are fortunate. Very fortunate.

I can afford a $40 gift but many can't and the director is quite out of line.

Edited by westielover, 30 November 2015 - 01:56 PM.

#45 seayork2002

Posted 30 November 2015 - 01:54 PM

I could be the Queen of Bloomin Sheba and I still would not enter into this - I pretend to be a lady so won't write what I feel like writing but I think you may get the drift

#46 Ianthe

Posted 30 November 2015 - 01:59 PM

So if there are 100 kids in the centre and everyone chips in $40 and there are 8 staff then they would be getting a $500 gift each? And people don't think that is excessive?

#47 seayork2002

Posted 30 November 2015 - 02:04 PM

View PostElf Ianthe, on 30 November 2015 - 01:59 PM, said:

So if there are 100 kids in the centre and everyone chips in $40 and there are 8 staff then they would be getting a $500 gift each? And people don't think that is excessive?

Agree but it could be 50c for all I care though - it is none of anyone's business what I spend! (unless there is some legal aspect like for gov officals etc but then that would be a mac not a min)

#48 KoalaTeeTime

I'm just feeling embarrassed that it's not in our budget to spend that much, and there was no option to 'give what you can'.

#49 JBH

I normally spend more than that and would happily contribute, but I still don't like the thought of setting a minimum amount.  It makes life very uncomfortable for those who can't afford it.

#50 seayork2002

Posted 30 November 2015 - 02:07 PM

View PostKoalaTeeTime, on 30 November 2015 - 02:04 PM, said:

I'm just feeling embarrassed that it's not in our budget to spend that much, and there was no option to 'give what you can'.

To me it is not whether you can afford it or not it is just plain rude of them - I would just get your child to make a card and give that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.