CCC asking for minimum $$ amount for staff Xmas gifts?

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#51 purplekitty

Posted 30 November 2015 - 02:09 PM

Tell 'er she's dreamin' !

View PostFright bat, on 30 November 2015 - 01:15 PM, said:

Wow people are nasty. And cheap.

$40 is a bargain.

$40 may be a lot of money for some parents in daycare.
It's presumptuous and rude.

It's different if it is a voluntary,optional contribution organised by the parents.

#52 IkeaAddict

Posted 30 November 2015 - 02:10 PM

$40 from every parent who has a child there? No way!!! I got annoyed a few years back when one of the carers at DS daycare was getting annoyed at the amount of chocolates and food she had been given

#53 Bearynice

Posted 30 November 2015 - 02:11 PM

I think just put$10/$20 or whatever in an envelope with your name on it.

Don't be ashamed that you can't put $40 in.

If everyone put in $10 I'm sure the carers would get a fantastic present.

#54 Sculder

Posted 30 November 2015 - 02:12 PM

I bet the money pays for a super fantastic christmas party for them all.

#55 seepi

Posted 30 November 2015 - 02:13 PM

I wouldn't do it. Give nice handmade cards and a little box of chocs to share instead. This is what most people do, if they give anything.

We're leaving after 9 years straight at ours, so I'm trying to think of something a bit different, but i still wasn't going to go very expensive.

It is supposed to be a token of appreciation, not their biggest xmas present.

#56 Orangecake

Posted 30 November 2015 - 02:14 PM

I like the idea of a group present but am a bit iffy about the director organising it

I think its really out of touch to specify a minimum amount rather than leaving it up to you or suggesting an appropriate amount.

There is so much variance at daycare, no of days you attend, no of part-time workers in the room, how many kids your family has attending the centre etc, etc. All of these are good reasons why you as a parent need to judge how much you actually want to spend, and of course how much your family can afford.

Most years I would easily spend over $100 on presents. This year I will be spending less as I am on maternity leave, DS only attends 2 days and we have had a huge turnover of staff, so that none of the current carers have been around very long. In this case, it will just be a small token gift from us.

#57 Hollycoddle

Posted 30 November 2015 - 02:22 PM

Ours doesn't even do joint gifts and I think this is the best way to be - if you personally want to buy one for the teacher then go for it but it shouldn't be a 'thing'.  People have enough to spend on during Christmas!

My sister is very crafty and she makes little magnets out of tiles and crystal charms, she usually makes me a few of these for the teachers of my kids (she doesn't have kids herself). I don't even pay her anything for it because it costs next to nothing - it's the gesture that counts.

Edited by Mollycoddle, 30 November 2015 - 02:23 PM.

#58 BadCat

Posted 30 November 2015 - 02:26 PM

$40 is a bargain.

This is not school. There are multiple teachers, my kids rooms have had a minimum of three throughout. Two kids is six teachers. Even with only one child, I'd never spend less than $20 per teacher.

Childcare workers are among the worst paid profession in Australia. These people lovingly care for your small children when you can't.

No, a gift us not an obligation, but it's NICE.

Even if you were only planning on spending $10 each, it's probably only a little bit more.

I honestly can't believe the rudeness in this thread.

And I can't believe the rudeness that says "if you aren't putting in as much as WE think you should then don't bother".

#59 Fright bat

Posted 30 November 2015 - 02:36 PM

View PostKoalaTeeTime, on 30 November 2015 - 02:04 PM, said:

I'm just feeling embarrassed that it's not in our budget to spend that much, and there was no option to 'give what you can'.

I just wants to clarify that my post up thread was not directed at you. It was more at the 'just give her $4 and laugh in her face" type responses. My post was about all the people who think $40 between multiple carers is a ridiculous and extravagant amount, or the people who misunderstand that it is not $40 per carer (like the PP who said she didn't want to spend $400 on her kids ten extracurricular teachers - no, it would probably only work out to $5-10 per teacher per person.

My MIL was a kinder teacher. And as much as she appreciated the 'gesture' the reality is that she has a cupboard full of novelty mugs and small boxes of gift chocolates that she just simply does not want, does not use, and does not appreciate. Do you know way even five years of 'token' Christmas presents looks like? Magnets, and crafts and others things just cluttering up her 'gift cupboard' until once every five years or so she just throws it all out. Not out of ingratitude, but under the sheer weight of the avalanche of stuff.

Yes, home made gifts ARE cheaper, but plenty of people won't or can't eat homemade food, and homemade crafts are a nice gesture but ultimately destroy our planet by just generating waste.

Does it matter if they get a slightly nicer Christmas party? Does it matter that the director asked? It is the questioning of the motivations and amount that got me.

All that said, I DO think that if it is hard for you to contribute that amount, then you should say so and give what you can. I am assuming the amount was set so people wouldn't misunderstand like they have in this thread and contribute $10 each, which might work out to $1-2/person. The director probably has an idea of what proportion of people give a gift every year, and what the rough value is - she's probably been in the game for a while, and while I totally understand that for some individuals this amount would be hard, most people would have budgeted for a smal gift for their childcare teachers, and this amount would not be in excess of that, and for many people is probably less.

(If people really want to know how many people it is for and what she is organizing, then why not just suggest asking?)

Edited by Fright bat, 30 November 2015 - 02:40 PM.

#60 harryboy

Posted 30 November 2015 - 02:37 PM

Even at school where a teacher can have a massive impact we are only asked for $10-$15 for group present.

#61 EsmeLennox

Posted 30 November 2015 - 02:43 PM

I'm a bit bolshie with stuff like this, so I would be emailing the director back and telling her that it is rude to specify an amount and that I will personally give what I feel able to contribute (be that $50, $20, $5 or nothing).

I'm not opposed to the idea of a group gift, as I can see sense in that (imagine how many coffee cups, chocolates and sundry other little items these staff get), but I would certainly be making it clear that specifying a minimum amount is out of line.

I would also be suggesting that if people giving say $10 is considered not OK, then perhaps they would prefer nothing.

Edited by EsmeLennox, 30 November 2015 - 02:46 PM.

#62 Freddie'sMum

Posted 30 November 2015 - 02:44 PM

Now that our girls are at school - the class parent sends an email asking for a donation - so the parents can put their funds together and usually buy the teacher a gift card or some flowers.

The MOST I have ever been asked is $20.  To ask for $40 is taking the mickey.

If you want to give more - if you can afford to give more - that's fine but to simply nominate a sum that is quite high for a lot of people - that's just plain rude.

Edited to add - the year DD#1 had the most awful teacher - I gave nothing.  Not money, not a card, not a bean

The years DDs have had great teachers I have given more.  

It's my damn choice as to how much money - if any - I want to give.

Edited by Freddie'sMum, 30 November 2015 - 02:46 PM.

#63 Goggie

Posted 30 November 2015 - 02:48 PM

I hate group gifts for this reason. To me, as a non-crafty  person who is happy to buy gifts rather than make or bake them, I would spend $10-20 on each carer and there are 8 of them so it's not the amount I would be annoyed about. I don't think it should be the director organising it and I think specifying a minimum is a bit off. Unlike school, childcare can be used 1 day or 5 days a week. You can have a multitude of families from different backgrounds and incomes and requesting a set amount is unfair on people that would have just made a batch of lovingly prepared homemade bikkies for the team.

I like the pp idea of the glass jar of money and people just contribute what they can. I think the director is being presumptuous, even if her intention is good.

#64 purplekitty

Posted 30 November 2015 - 02:51 PM

View PostFright bat, on 30 November 2015 - 02:36 PM, said:

My post was about all the people who think $40 between multiple carers is a ridiculous and extravagant amount, or the people who misunderstand that it is not $40 per carer (like the PP who said she didn't want to spend $400 on her kids ten extracurricular teachers - no, it would probably only work out to $5-10 per teacher per person.

It doesn't matter what it works out to per carer if parents can't afford it.
I know that $40 would have been a lot of money for some people I knew who used childcare.

It is an insensitive request.

#65 seayork2002

Posted 30 November 2015 - 02:56 PM

No I am not a CCC but if I was genuinely would love any gift a child put a lot of thought & effort into making (no matter what it looks like) as this would prove above anything that I was doing a good job.

#66 lurfest

Posted 30 November 2015 - 03:03 PM

$40 is a bargain.

This is not school. There are multiple teachers, my kids rooms have had a minimum of three throughout. Two kids is six teachers. Even with only one child, I'd never spend less than $20 per teacher.

Childcare workers are among the worst paid profession in Australia. These people lovingly care for your small children when you can't.

No, a gift us not an obligation, but it's NICE.

Even if you were only planning on spending $10 each, it's probably only a little bit more.

I honestly can't believe the rudeness in this thread.

It is the minimum spend part that people are reacting to. We all have budgets. Not everyone's can stretch to $40 and to effectively tell people not to bother unless they have the required amount reeks of rudeness and entitlement.  Yes, childcare workers are paid crap, but child care centres are marvellous money makers for the majority of owners. If the director wants to do something nice for their staff they need to foot the bill, not have the parents foot the bill while the director get the satisfaction of handing the gift over.

#67 MrsLexiK

Posted 30 November 2015 - 03:07 PM

View PostElf Ianthe, on 30 November 2015 - 01:59 PM, said:

So if there are 100 kids in the centre and everyone chips in $40 and there are 8 staff then they would be getting a $500 gift each? And people don't think that is excessive?
8 staff for 100 kids.

#68 Fright bat

Posted 30 November 2015 - 03:09 PM

View Postlurfest, on 30 November 2015 - 03:03 PM, said:

but child care centres are marvellous money makers for the majority of owners.

As an aside that is not actually true. It's a very UNprofitable business which is why the biggest chain went bust and has been taken over by a not for profit.

Most just manage to break even, and ours (council supported) runs at a loss.

#69 Fright bat

Posted 30 November 2015 - 03:14 PM

What childcare centre has 8 staff for 100 kids?

Ratios for the baby room are 4:1.

Ratios for the older kids are 15:1.

Then there might be ancillary staff like the cook.

No childcare worker works 7-7, there are two shifts.

Our childcare centre has 3-4 in the baby room (12 kids), 3 in the middle room (20 kids) and 3 in the big room (20 kids) and a cook and the director.

That's 12 staff for around 50 kids. Assume some are siblings so only 30 contribute (because they are ink asking $40 per family). That's $100/carer.

I think that's fair.

#70 laridae

Posted 30 November 2015 - 03:22 PM

View PostMrsLexiK, on 30 November 2015 - 03:07 PM, said:

8 staff for 100 kids.
You can cover 46 kids with 8 staff (eg 4 for 0-2 - 16 kids, 2 for 2-3 - 10 kids, 2 for 3-5 - 20 kids, so depending on how many days each one goes it is possible.

#71 lazycritter

Posted 30 November 2015 - 03:25 PM

That's a nice staff party

#72 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 30 November 2015 - 03:26 PM

This Christmas present giving crap is a minefield.

Damned if you do, damned if you dont.

I see why many people just go with they do their job, they are paid for it, no present required!

#73 laridae

Posted 30 November 2015 - 03:31 PM

View PostFright bat, on 30 November 2015 - 03:14 PM, said:

What childcare centre has 8 staff for 100 kids?

Ratios for the baby room are 4:1.

Ratios for the older kids are 15:1.

Then there might be ancillary staff like the cook.

No childcare worker works 7-7, there are two shifts.

Our childcare centre has 3-4 in the baby room (12 kids), 3 in the middle room (20 kids) and 3 in the big room (20 kids) and a cook and the director.

That's 12 staff for around 50 kids.
You are assuming all kids go 5 days. If they are only going 1 or 2 that is a lot more kids for those 12 staff. If most kids are going 3 or 2 days it's more like 100 kids all together.
Our centre has 2 shifts but they overlap and there are just less staff at the start and end of the day as most kids don't arrive early and leave late so there are less kids at that time, not extra staff.

#74 lurfest

Posted 30 November 2015 - 03:36 PM

View PostFright bat, on 30 November 2015 - 03:09 PM, said:

As an aside that is not actually true. It's a very UNprofitable business which is why the biggest chain went bust and has been taken over by a not for profit.

Most just manage to break even, and ours (council supported) runs at a loss.

I would imagine yours have a relatively high vacancy rate.  I know a cc administrator.  If you can achieve occupancy at 90%+, you sure ain't struggling.

#75 Tinkle Splashes

Posted 30 November 2015 - 03:40 PM

When my DS was in childcare I was a single parent, studying and working a minimum wage job to support us.  

I could only *just* afford to pay the childcare fees and was constantly robbing Peter to pay Paul.

If I had been asked to pay a minimum $40 contribution to a staff gift, just before Christmas, I would have been very upset.

I think it is wrong to stipulate a minimum at all, let alone one so high. I would convey that concern to the director then proceed to do whatever I would have done in the first place.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.