CCC asking for minimum $$ amount for staff Xmas gifts?

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#76 Luci

Posted 30 November 2015 - 03:42 PM

OP do you know how many staff there are in total?   If there are quite a few, plus kitchen / office type people it might not end up being a ridiculous amount of money per person.

Having said that I think that $40 is a bit on the steep side.

#77 JustBeige

Posted 30 November 2015 - 04:12 PM

View PostKoalaTeeTime, on 30 November 2015 - 02:04 PM, said:

I'm just feeling embarrassed that it's not in our budget to spend that much, and there was no option to 'give what you can'.
Dont ever feel embarrassed about what you can or cant afford.

NO ONE has the right to judge you or tell you what is an acceptable amount to spend on someone.

You know your sons care workers and the relationship that they have with him.  You are the one who gets to decide what and how much you want to spend on them.

In regards to the Directors email, I think you have the following options:
1) Ignore it and just get something for the carers that you want to.  ie: not all carers would interact with your child, so dont feel you need to get them all something.

2) email back and say Thanks for thinking of us but due to our financial circumstances we will have to opt out.    and then dont give anything other than a card from DS.

3) Email back and say the above, but I will drop my $20 in next time.

OP, only you can tell how the above will play out in your centre, but honestly, never be ashamed to say, ":sorry we cant afford that"  
Its incredibly rude of people to assume you can.

#78 Illiterati

Posted 30 November 2015 - 04:27 PM

You don't have to give a reason or a gift of any kind. Just say no. Or no thank you we won't be participating.

I have never put in for class or combined presents for teachers or carers. My decision has nothing to do about whether I can afford it or not.

Some years my kids have not wanted to give their teachers presents. Other years, if they do, their class teacher gets home made jam made with fruit off our trees.

#79 twinklestars

Posted 30 November 2015 - 04:39 PM

I'm voting with the majority on this one.

Firstly, I think it's very strange the director of the centre has approached parents telling them to spend $40 on staff Christmas gifts. If group gifts are organised, it should be among parents - NOT by another staff member.

Secondly, I also think it's strange that it's a 'pay $40 or nothing' ultimatum.

Thirdly, $40 is a huge amount to ask per family. I know many families who cannot afford that, who would have baked something lovely or made some handmade cards for their carers. Which should be received with grace.

Fourthly - there is a huge thing going on with schools at the moment about teachers having to declare gifts over a certain amount from parents. There are a few in the school system that I know of that are having to explain accepting extravagant gifts. Could you imagine a Principal requesting cash from parents for gifts for his/her staff members????? Why should a childcare centre be viewed any differently.

Fifthly, I think it is the height of rudeness for someone to tell me how much I'm going to spend a Christmas gift for someone. I'm all for group gifts, but the amount must be discussed and agreed upon by those doing the giving.

And I would be putting all this in an email to the director.

#80 GlitterFarts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 04:49 PM

I don't even pay $40 for my freaken PARENTS let alone the kids teachers/carers!!

Hells bells, my kids only got $50 each!

Rude rude rude

And if a carer or teacher doesn't want my gift, they can chuck it in the flippen bin and sod off.

Just makes me happy that we said "screw everyone" and we are not giving anyone anything if that's the reception gifts get nowdays. $$$ or nothing... pfft

#81 lucky 2

Posted 30 November 2015 - 04:50 PM

My reaction is "what? "
I dislike being forced to do anything and $40 is excessive.
It should optional and whatever amount you would like to contribute.
The director should buy her staff a gift if she wants, otherwise they could do a kk.
I don't ask my clients to contribute to buy a present for me!

#82 Ritaroo

Posted 30 November 2015 - 05:07 PM

$40! Jesus, that's ridiculous.

#83 raechel82

Posted 30 November 2015 - 05:29 PM

View Post~Jodama_Feral~, on 30 November 2015 - 03:26 PM, said:

This Christmas present giving crap is a minefield. Damned if you do, damned if you dont. I see why many people just go with they do their job, they are paid for it, no present required!

I work in an industry where people give gifts. Honestly I wish they wouldn't. I get paid for my job I don't want a present. Of course if people want to give I say thank you.  Even within close family and friends we do very small token gifts which I would also be happy to do away with.

OP no doubt you will not be the only person questioning this request.

If I receive a gift worth I think $50 maybe even less I have to declare it and it gets decided if I am allowed to accept. But no one gives a gift worth that  thankfully. Usually its chocolates, mugs, beauty gift packs, candles etc

#84 KoalaTeeTime

Posted 30 November 2015 - 06:07 PM

View PostLilymoon, on 30 November 2015 - 02:06 PM, said:

I am with Seayork on this, can we ask what area of Australia you are in? I am guessing it would be a high socio economic area

South Eastern Sydney. Formerly working class/industrial area which is rapidly gentrifying.

I live out west though so don't fit the local demographic.

#85 JomoMum

Posted 30 November 2015 - 06:10 PM

Oh my. That is just unpleasant.

I object vehemently to being told how much to spend/what to buy (unless asked).

#86 MGB

Posted 30 November 2015 - 06:28 PM

I find it rude that the director has stated a minimum amount and odd that they are the one organising it.

I would most likely put in for a group gift if it wasn't a stipulated amount as I do buy a small individual gift for the staff where our kids go but not in a situation like this. It just seems rude.

#87 Abcde-La-A

Posted 30 November 2015 - 06:32 PM

What the... that's ridiculous.

I don't think gift-giving is a massive thing at our centre, and it certainly wouldn't be expected to spend $40. In past years, I have baked some biscuits and put them in a nice Xmassy box, with a card.

If it was a $5-$10 contribution, I'd think "winner winner" and happily chuck in so I didn't have to get creative about making anything! If it was a "contribute whatever you like" situation, I'd probably still chuck in around $10 on the assumption that that was what was reasonably expected.

But $40 is a big ask. Particularly in this, the Spending Season.

#88 Feral-as-Meggs

Posted 30 November 2015 - 07:04 PM

I agree with PPs it's off for the director to get involved or suggest a minimum.

It's possible though she was trying to act on a suggestion from staff.  It must be so frustrating to receive bags of photo mugs, naff craft items, magnets, novelty soaps etc in such a low paid role especially the casuals who will lose 2 week's work.  

I'm doing iTunes vouchers (4 x $10) - I figure if the older ladies maybe can't use them, at least they can regift them.

#89 LenaK

Posted 30 November 2015 - 07:18 PM

I can see how, with several carers, it can easily add up to $40 but it really is beyond rude to state a minimum contribution.

With two or more children, teachers, after school carers and activities this quickly becomes a very expensive exercise.

I also understand that teachers get alot of the same thing and a larger community gift makes sense, but is it really so hard to provide an anonymous donation box and say 'In lieu of a coffee cup we would love a contribution to a group gift for Christmas this year'.

This would mean every parent gets to contribute as much or as little as they can/want and show their appreciation to the carers.

What ever happened to "its the thought that counts".

#90 WithSprinkles

Posted 30 November 2015 - 07:39 PM

I think it's really weird actually. Imagine if a principal sent out an email like this telling parents they would take money to organise the teacher's Christmas gifts?!

I don't think the amount is overly excessive, depending on how many carers are regularly in your child's room. Most children will have 2-4 regular carers so that is $10-$20 per carer. It's extremely rude to stipulate a minimum though (I'm assuming this is to encourage more $??!).

I would prefer to give a handmade card from my child and a small gift of appreciation that my child has had some involvement in getting. It shouldn't be an expectation.

I'm sure many of the other parents would have reacted the same way as you!

#91 GlitterFarts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 07:46 PM

View PostLenaK, on 30 November 2015 - 07:18 PM, said:

What ever happened to "its the thought that counts".

Reading some of the replies, I am more and more convinced noone thinks like this any more ...

#92 psuedo nim

Posted 30 November 2015 - 07:49 PM

I don't see why number of days you attend should relate to the amount you pay either. Theres a common misconception that parents who both work full time are rolling in money but usually a) they work full time because they have no option for part time, often because they are in a low paying job
b) they pay far more of their income into childcare so are actually worse off at the end of the day

I personally couldn't afford  $40 for childcarers presents. Dont forget a lot of people  have multiple kids, and some attend multiple centres

#93 Beqa

Posted 30 November 2015 - 08:55 PM

I don't understand why people are counting the number  carers to work out if $40 overall is cheaper. It isn't mandatory to buy any of the carers a present at all.

#94 nasty snaugh

Posted 30 November 2015 - 08:57 PM

View PostKoalaTeeTime, on 30 November 2015 - 01:33 PM, said:

We were asked to write our names on the envelopes when we dropped them off too :-(

Why? Do you get a larger font on the card for a bigger contribution? That is awful.

View PostKoalaTeeTime, on 30 November 2015 - 02:04 PM, said:

I'm just feeling embarrassed that it's not in our budget to spend that much, and there was no option to 'give what you can'.

Don't feel bad - I am pretty sure you will not be alone in your reaction

View PostFright bat, on 30 November 2015 - 02:36 PM, said:

..... <snip>.....

My post was about all the people who think $40 between multiple carers is a ridiculous and extravagant amount, or the people who misunderstand that it is not $40 per carer (like the PP who said she didn't want to spend $400 on her kids ten extracurricular teachers - no, it would probably only work out to $5-10 per teacher per person.

.....<snip>.....

and homemade crafts are a nice gesture but ultimately destroy our planet by just generating waste.

.....<snip>.....

I DO think that if it is hard for you to contribute that amount, then you should say so and give what you can. I am assuming the amount was set so people wouldn't misunderstand like they have in this thread and contribute $10 each, which might work out to $1-2/person.

.....<snip>.....

For some people, $40 is most definitely ridiculous and extravagant. I will spend less on my own Mother this year.

Not sure that home made crafts/cards are our biggest concern, or even in the top 20 - a lot of those gifts would be up/recycled.

You say "give what you can" but then you stipulate an amount too - if I want to spend $5, I will, and I will put a great deal of thought into it, If I want to spend $250, I will - I would put just as much thought into that gift. To me, that is what matters - the thought and the planning.

View PostLenaK, on 30 November 2015 - 07:18 PM, said:

.....<snip>.....

I also understand that teachers get alot of the same thing and a larger community gift makes sense, but is it really so hard to provide an anonymous donation box and say 'In lieu of a coffee cup we would love a contribution to a group gift for Christmas this year'.

.....<snip>.....

This is the most sensible thing I have read in the entire thread.

#95 libbylu

Posted 30 November 2015 - 09:16 PM

Wow that is a lot!
We organise a collection for our son's class teacher and give a guide of $20, however people can and do give less and some more.
Our kids have multiple teachers too - there are three in the classroom and about 60 kids so the $20 is to contribute for gifts for the three.  Last year we got about $800 contributed, so were able to buy gifts to the value of about $270 per teacher.

#96 meohmy

Posted 30 November 2015 - 09:24 PM

Wow, ours is optional with a $5 minimum. Some give $5 some give $50, other than the collector no one knows and no one cares, it's what families can afford and want to give. The teachers don't expect it and appreciate everything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.