My 11DS got pinned down and punched in the head

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OceanTwentyFour

Posted 07 December 2015 - 11:23 PM

At school today. No one saw or if they did they didn't help. He didn't tell anyone.
This is not the first time this child has attacked my DS. The school wasn't overly helpful the last time.

DH says to let it go, there's less than 2 weeks left of school and he doesn't think the school will deal with it appropriately anyway. And he thinks it will cause the child to do something even worse to our DS.

I don't know what to do. DS doesn't want to go to school tomorrow. He doesn't know whether he wants me to let his teacher know or not.

I am so angry that this boy keeps getting away with this kind of behaviour 😡😡😡.
DS is graduating primary school this year, his last few weeks are going to be miserable 😟.
I'm so sad and upset for him 😥.

#2 Soontobegran

Posted 07 December 2015 - 11:38 PM

I would not let it go. I'd be up there with him in the morning.

Poor boy :(

#3 MrsLexiK

Posted 07 December 2015 - 11:39 PM

Your poor DS that must be horrible.

#4 BetteBoop

Posted 07 December 2015 - 11:43 PM

It's assault. A child of the bully's age knows the behaviour is wrong.

Tell the school and see what the response is. If they do nothing contact the police.

I wouldn't wait for the bully to be some other child's problem. I hope your son is okay.

#5 OceanTwentyFour

Posted 07 December 2015 - 11:49 PM

Thank you everyone for your replies.

I just can't sit back and let this go. I've emailed the teacher explaining what's happened and that I would like to discuss with her tomorrow.

#6 Poughkeepsie

Posted 07 December 2015 - 11:50 PM

Bloody oath I'd be saying/doing something about it!
What message does it send to your son if you ignore it because school is nearly finished, or you think school won't do anything?  Either way, YOU will have done something about it...reported it, made a big deal about it, stood up for him. Whatever it takes, get yourself (on his behalf) heard and have it on record.  
At the very least, you should speak to his teacher and seriously consider the Principal.
Good luck and I hope he is ok

Edited to add: we posted at the same time! Glad you are letting the teacher know. Hope you get a positive response

Edited by Poughkeepsie, 07 December 2015 - 11:51 PM.

#7 SplashingRainbows

Posted 08 December 2015 - 03:03 AM

Make sure you ask the school what they will do to keep your son safe at school. They have a duty of care to do so and I'd be happy to keep my kids home in such a circumstance until I was totally satisfied the school were onto it.

Good luck this morning. I think you've done the right thing following it up.

#8 Pearson

Posted 08 December 2015 - 05:45 AM

^ this.
Do not let this go.
March up there demanding a result that is positive for your son.
If they have not handled it properly before, this is the result. You can Lodge a common assault charge against this child, & quite frankly, I would be. (Definitely bandy this around at the school btw, means a lot ). Speak of safety for sure. Involve the principal as well.
My son was being bullied in year 2. The teacher did nothing. I wrote a letter to the principal. She then cornered me and asked me why I sent the letter. I kundly advised her if she had done something the previous times I had spoken to her, it wouldn't have come to this. I also advised the principal I did not appreciate the teacher pulling that either. Finally, it stopped.

#9 Sculder

Posted 08 December 2015 - 05:46 AM

Tell the school. There may be only 2wks left, but speak to someone different and things may amaze you.
One of mine has been the victim of ongoing bullying both at school and online. The principal gave a slap on the wrist. There is a new deputy principal at the moment and he is not happy with what this other child has been getting away with and has told DD to make detailed statements and photocopy all the online messages.
The kid is on a camp at the moment. Something to do with the police, so nothing can be done until thursday, but this DP is doing more than anyone else has done and some of the things this kid has said to DD in online messages will mean the DP has to notify the proper authorities.

#10 Coffeegirl

Posted 08 December 2015 - 05:59 AM

Please talk to the teacher, if you aren't happy with the discussion, take it higher.

DS was bullied in year 4-5. Took me ages to get home to tell me what was going on, and he begged me not to tell the school as he was afraid it would get worse.  But it got worse on its own.

We talked to his teacher and she was fantastic.  She had an inkling that something was going on, but couldn't put her finger on it.  After comin forward, a few other boys did too and it turned out this bulky had numerous victims. None of which wanted to say anything, but also were not aware that the bully was targeting others. Had they known, they would have spoken up sooner.

Chances are your son isn't the only victim :(

#11 akunazone

Posted 08 December 2015 - 09:32 AM

Why should your son have a miserable last 2 weeks. The bully should be the one who  is disciplined and has a miserable time whether it be missing out on fun activities or being suspended.

The school needs to deal with this or the bully has it reinforced that he can get away with it.

I really hope the school steps up and your son can enjoy the end of his primary

#12 Therese

Posted 08 December 2015 - 09:42 AM

I'm really glad you are going in to the school to discuss it today. I hope your son is ok. (well as ok as he can be)

#13 boatiebabe

Posted 08 December 2015 - 09:48 AM

You did the right thing.

That is absolutely something you need to report to his teacher and the school.

If he's doing it to your child chances are he is doing it to others and may even escalate.

I feel for your DS and can understand his reluctance to say anything about it but it really is important to put these kinds of incidents out in the open and not hide away.

I hope the end of the year improves for him.

#14 KookyKids

Posted 08 December 2015 - 09:56 AM

Good for you on speaking up, because if you don't know one will. Your son needs to see you are willing to stand up for him and you are teaching him that this behavior is not ok or acceptable. It will also reinforce to him that it is ok to tell mum and dad.
I agree with pp your son shouldn't miss out on the last few weeks of fun - lets face it they do a lot of craft colouring and movie watching lol.

#15 IamtheMumma

Posted 08 December 2015 - 10:15 AM

You're doing the right thing by standing up for your son. I wish I could tell you everything will be fixed but its such a mixed bag when it comes to schools and other parents. Some schools are great and some parents are horrified their kid is a bully. Other schools do nothing and the other kid's parents praise them for being "tough".

#16 ~Bob~

Posted 08 December 2015 - 10:27 AM

I'm glad you're going to the school. I would not let this go. They have a duty of care to keep your son safe.

#17 FloralArrangement

Posted 08 December 2015 - 10:31 AM

Bullying causes so much distress. Approaching teachers/principal at school is the way to go. Your dh is so not being effective by saying let it go. Who says it won't continue into next year, over social media, result in serious injury? It's doing no favours to either the victims or the bully in my opinion.

The bully gets to keep bullying it gets not dealt with year after year, keeps bullying through high school and then becomes an adult bully. Dealing with it now hopefully means this is not the path taken.

I really do not get your dh's stance at all.

#18 Silverstreak

Posted 08 December 2015 - 10:50 AM

That is awful, your poor DS.

Yes I would definitely follow it up, it needs to be stopped.

#19 MrsMuzz82

Posted 08 December 2015 - 11:05 AM

I agree with others that you should do something. You can also look at obtaining a restraining order on behalf of your child against the child who assaulted him. I think the child needs to be 10 years old or over (I think but I can't remember exactly). Personally, that's the message I'd be sending to the school - they need to keep my child safe, and if they can't then I'll be doing something about it. It may mean that the child in question will not be able to return to school and they may even need to change schools the following year. That will send a pretty strong message to the child's parents as well.

#20 Pearson

Posted 08 December 2015 - 06:49 PM

How did you go OP?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.