Reading Challenge 2016

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
259 replies to this topic

#26 RocktonResident

Posted 01 January 2016 - 01:54 PM

Opened the New Year with a new book
1. Trylle by Amanda Hocking
Technically, three books in one, but I'll only count it as one.

I have an irrational urge to go book shopping even though I have 30 odd books waiting to be read...

#27 Wacky Wobbler

Posted 01 January 2016 - 02:09 PM

I've just finished my first book for the year Kidnapped by Mark Tedeschi. Was a very interesting read.

I've now started on Steven Adler's (Guns N Roses) biography.

#28 Tyfle Hour

Posted 01 January 2016 - 04:50 PM

Okay, first book for the year down, although I did start it last year!

1. The Last Runaway  - Tracy Chevalier

I liked it a lot, but it was different to her other books I've read.  Her writing style here was more 'normal' for want of a better word.  I did enjoy her other works better, but that's not to say I didn't like this one.  It's basically the story of an English Quaker immigrant to the U.S. in the 1850s and her involvement in the underground railway. I'd probably give it a 3 out of 5 if I was rating it.

#29 Toomanybooks

Posted 01 January 2016 - 04:51 PM

#1 Those Who Leave and Those Who Stay by Elena Ferrante

It's the third in the Neopolitan Novels so I can't wait to read the fourth.

Edited by Toomanybooks, 01 January 2016 - 04:51 PM.

#30 jojonbeanie

Posted 01 January 2016 - 11:53 PM

Ok I'm in again and this year I will try to keep better track. I'm going to set myself a completely unrealistic target of 52. Happy to report I finished my first for the year today - don't ask me when I actually started it.

1. We Were the Mulvaneys by Joyce Carol Oates

I took a long time to read it because I never wanted it to end. Just a beautifully crafted novel. Loved it.

#31 71Cath

Posted 02 January 2016 - 06:55 AM

I'm in again, I really enjoyed it last year.

I only just made the goal of 26 last year, so I will stick with that again.

Number 1 is "At the Water's Edge" by Sara Gruen (she wrote "Water for Elephants" which I liked.  This one is about searching for the Loch Ness Monster during WW2.

#32 Lunagirl

Posted 02 January 2016 - 07:31 AM

I'm in. I'm a fast reader so will aim for 100. First up is a Christmas present: After Alice by Gregory Maguire. I'll report back on what I thought and check this thread for recommendations!

#33 cardamom

Posted 02 January 2016 - 07:39 AM

Cath, have you read her book Ape House? It's been ages since I read it but I remember enjoying it :)

#34 Toomanybooks

Posted 02 January 2016 - 11:18 AM

#2 The Traitor by Seth Dickinson

Fantasy that didn't go where I expected.

#35 Ianthe

Posted 02 January 2016 - 03:26 PM

You guys have started well! Cath I really liked At the Water's Edge-I liked the development of the main character.

#36 Ianthe

Posted 02 January 2016 - 03:39 PM

Updated main list up to here.

cardamon my favourite books for 2015 were:-

Good Omens by Prachett and Gaiman
Me Before You by Jojo Moyes-held off on reading this all year and loved it. They're making a movie with Sam Clafkin as Will.
After You by Jojo Moyes-sequel to above
At the Water's Edge by Sara Gruen
The Golden Chord by Geraldine Brooks
The Peach Keeper by Sarah Addison Allen
The Taste of Sorrow by Jude Morgan

#37 Hands Up

Posted 02 January 2016 - 03:56 PM

Oooh I loved me before you so I must read the sequel!

First book down for me, eleven to go. Might need to up my goal if I keep going this way :-)

The Wife Drought by Annabel Crabb.

Loved it. So many "so true" moments. It's the first time I have read a book and felt the need to underline key passages.

#38 cardamom

Posted 02 January 2016 - 05:34 PM

Ooh, that sounds promising Ianthe - I've had Me Before You sitting on my bedhead for awhile now, will add it to my list sooner rather than later.

#39 mintpatty

Posted 02 January 2016 - 08:30 PM

#1 Five People You Meet In Heaven by Mitch Albom. It was a good story.

Now I'm starting The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey.

#40 71Cath

Posted 03 January 2016 - 05:49 AM

Cardamom, I haven't read Ape House - I better put it on the list!

First I need to tear myself away from Draco-Hermione fan fiction....

#41 greenthumbs

Posted 03 January 2016 - 06:46 AM

I wanted to join last year, but knew I wouldn't read much with a 3yo and 3mth old. I'll jump in this year and put in the large number of 6. Which is 4 or 5 more than I read last year :huh:

I do read / scan a lot of non-fiction books, but have a few novels on my bedside table right now, including finishing off The Rose Effect from last year.

So, I'm in for 6. I might join GoodReads too, to keep track of what I want to read in the future.

#42 Tyfle Hour

Posted 03 January 2016 - 04:54 PM

I'm making a good start, lazing around at this time of year.

2. The Boleyn Inheritance - Philippa Gregory
3. All the Wrong Questions - Lemony Snicket

A bit sad when I didn't understand the ending of the last one - and it's Y.A.  I had to get my 12 year old to explain it to me!

#43 monet

Posted 04 January 2016 - 03:15 PM

#1 Jane and the Canterbury Tale - Stephanie Barron

#44 Tall Poppy

Posted 04 January 2016 - 03:28 PM

I'll join this year, I want to get back in to reading for fun. I spend way too much time reading for uni so I often don't get to read for myself.

I think I will aim for 20 books over the whole year. I've got a few that I am keen to read at the moment.

#45 Ianthe

Posted 04 January 2016 - 06:48 PM

View Postmonet, on 04 January 2016 - 03:15 PM, said:

#1 Jane and the Canterbury Tale - Stephanie Barron

I'm up to the fifth one in this series.

#46 Ianthe

Posted 04 January 2016 - 06:52 PM

Updated list to here.

#47 two_ones

Posted 04 January 2016 - 08:51 PM

#2 The Lie by C.L. Taylor

Has anyone else read this? It started off ok but went downhill from there. Badly written, with too much talking. So much unnecessary dialogue! I hate it when the bulk of the writing is one character telling another about something that happened to them on the previous page. I'm like, "yeah I know I just read that!" *screams in frustration*

Think I need to make a better book choice for #3 as I haven't had much luck from the first two!

#48 Toomanybooks

Posted 04 January 2016 - 08:59 PM

#3 The Green Road by Anne Enright

Just beautiful.

#49 Agnetha

Posted 04 January 2016 - 08:59 PM

I'm in ! Dd starts school so I shall aim for 40 books.
Love to see recommendations.

Edited by Agnetha, 04 January 2016 - 08:59 PM.

#50 Loore

Posted 05 January 2016 - 05:09 PM

I'd love to join in.  I've only just rediscovered how much I enjoy reading for pleasure.  I'm aiming for 30 books this year.  I've finished my first which was R v Milat a case study into cross examination, and have stared on #2 which is The Battle of Midway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.