Reading Challenge 2016

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
259 replies to this topic

#51 Toomanybooks

Posted 05 January 2016 - 05:51 PM

#4 Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

#52 mmeo10

Posted 05 January 2016 - 06:09 PM

Can i join too?? I love seeing the recommendations from you all and read along last year.  I'm going for 52 this year.  #1 read this year has been caravan story by Wayne macauley. I love this guy!  😊

#53 Wacky Wobbler

Posted 05 January 2016 - 08:44 PM

#2 Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher. I really liked this book. It was an easy read and I really felt like I was listening to the character's voice on the tapes.

#54 RipeWickedPlum

Posted 05 January 2016 - 10:18 PM

Ok, finally got here to update my list.

1. Evermore by Alyson Noel
2. Bluemoon by Alyson Noel
3. Hollywood Dirt by Alessandra Torre
4. Lick - Stage Dive 1 by Kylie Scott

They're all small books, trashy books really, so really easy reading. But it's what I love! I can knock over a 330 page book in about 4 hours...

#55 cardamom

Posted 06 January 2016 - 08:47 PM

#2 - Career of Evil, Robert Galbraith.

I really liked this, which was a bit surprising as I didn't like the previous book, The Silkworm. This one I was deliberately reading slowly because I didn't want it to end; so suspenseful!

#56 Tyfle Hour

Posted 07 January 2016 - 05:41 PM

4. Poster Girl by Beccy Cole (her memoir).  
The writing was only average TBH, but it was honest and interesting and took me on a bit of a musical trip down memory lane. Recommended for fans, if not of Beccy's at least of Aussie country music.

#57 NunSoFeral

Posted 07 January 2016 - 06:04 PM

I'm in - I got thesis this year, so put me down for 20.
So far have read:

#1. Wayfaring Stranger - James Lee Burke
#2. The Girl in the Spiders Web - David Lagercrantz

Next
#3. The Secret Chord - Geraldine Brooks
#4. All the light we cannot see - Anthony Doerr
#5. Dark Matter and the Dinosaurs - Lisa Randall
#6. The Book of Aron - Tim Shepard

#58 mmeo10

Posted 08 January 2016 - 04:51 PM

#2 blueprints for a barbed wire canoe by Wayne macauley.  Devastating fable of the Australian home ownership dream.  I need a lighter read next ...

#59 Toomanybooks

Posted 08 January 2016 - 05:22 PM

#5 Island Home by Tim Winton

Beautifully written, not surprisingly. So much to think about what it means to be Australian and a lot more.

#60 Lunagirl

Posted 09 January 2016 - 12:54 PM

#1 After Alice by Gregory Maguire. I found it hard to get into, to be honest. His Oz books create this whole huge, rich world outside of Dorothy's travels, whereas this one felt like it was mostly following Alice around. Some of the parts dealing with her sister and the world she left behind were interesting but a bit fragmented.

My husband bought me Armada by Ernest Cline, which is next on the list. After that, I'm hoping to get into some of the books PPs have recommended :-)

#61 Jane Jetson

Posted 09 January 2016 - 01:09 PM

Ooh, can I join? My goal is always to reach 100 books a year and to hope for 104 (2/week).

I am not very discerning and will read almost anything.

#62 Tall Poppy

Posted 09 January 2016 - 01:18 PM

1. Yogalosphy. By Mandy Ingber

I wanted to like this as I want to get into yoga for its relaxing benefits but I just couldn't enjoy it.

#63 mintpatty

Posted 09 January 2016 - 01:19 PM

# 2 The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey - good easy read
# 3 Playing Dead by Julia Heaberlin - an interesting mystery

But now I'm halfway through #4 and not enjoying it - We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler.  Was recommended by someone I work with, but I just don't get the appeal.  There's just not much going on.

#64 Olive-pip

Posted 10 January 2016 - 08:09 PM

Have decided I will keep tally of the children's novels I read aloud to DD as well as my aim of a grand 5! for me by myself.

#1 Prince Caspian (me&dd)
#2 Voyage of the Dawn Treader(me&dd)

Have for myself started 'Momo' by Michael Ende. Because I loved 'The Neverending Story'.

Edited by Olive-pip, 10 January 2016 - 08:10 PM.

#65 Ianthe

Posted 10 January 2016 - 09:00 PM

Updated to this point. Welcome everyone!

#66 Ianthe

Posted 10 January 2016 - 09:30 PM

I posted here twice this afternoon on my phone and nothing has showed up. Longish reviews too Grrr.

What I've read:-

#1 Hester by Margaret Oliphant-written in the 1800's. If you like rambling English literature it's a good read.

#2 The Beekeepers Apprentice by Laurie King- main protagonist is a bright teenage girl who befriends the retired Sherlock Holmes. Well written mystery. There are others in the series and I will read more.

#3 Rosemary The Hidden Kennedy Daughter by Kate Clifford Larson-heartbreaking. For those that don't know Rosemary was the third child and first daughter of Joseph and Rose Kennedy, the younger sister of JFK. She had some form of disability-both intellectual and physical it seems which culminates in a tragedy. Such an eye opener to the history and stigma of disability. The author did a great job in piecing together a story with very little information because so much wasn't discussed by the family.

#67 monet

Posted 11 January 2016 - 03:39 PM

#2 The Scam - Janet Evanovich
#3 The Paris Wife - Paula McLain
#3.5 At the Reunion Buffet - Alexander McCall Smith.  This is a very short story so I can't really count it as a whole book :-)

#68 Tall Poppy

Posted 11 January 2016 - 06:20 PM

2. Depraved Heart by Patricia Cornwall

I've not read a Scarpetta novel in a while & I felt this one was a little slow & could have moved along at a faster pace. I did enjoy the ending although it is clearly setting the scene for the next book.

#69 Toomanybooks

Posted 11 January 2016 - 08:02 PM

#6 Purity by Jonathan Franzen

A huge sprawling novel, I'm still working out what to make of it.

#70 Straight*No*Chaser

Posted 12 January 2016 - 09:36 AM

Is it too late for me to join? I'm aiming for 30 books this year. I've smashed through a few easy reading style books already as 'holiday relaxers', but I know once work and school go back, I'll be struggling to find the time to read!

This year I want to read a few old classics that I haven't read before, like 'Of Mice and men" and "Catcher in the Rye", mixed up with some new releases and then whatever takes my fancy at the library. I've got "The girl on the train" on hold at the moment, looking forward to that one.

I'll be back to update when I remember what I've already read this year!

#71 Tall Poppy

Posted 12 January 2016 - 12:34 PM

3. After This: Survivors Of The Holocaust Speak by Alice Nelson

This was so moving and sad. I found it very upsetting but I had to keep reading and hear all the stories of the people and their survival. Some truly horrific things happened.

#72 Tall Poppy

Posted 12 January 2016 - 04:01 PM

4. Managing Your Depression: What you can do to feel better by Susan Noonan

This was a small book which is why I have finished it so quickly this afternoon! It is actually quite good and not as trite as I thought it might be. I am generally wary of self-help style books but I did think this raised a few things that may be useful. Worth a try anyway if you are struggling, something that was interesting was the author stated that she has written it in such a way that it can be read during a period of depression. Even if you have trouble reading & concentrating during that time, I thought that was good. I didn't get to test that out though as I am feeling pretty good at the moment.

#73 Straight*No*Chaser

Posted 12 January 2016 - 11:07 PM

1. Dead to the World - Charlaine Harris
2. Dead as a Doornail - Charlaine Harris

I don't usually read fantasy books but I needed some easy-reading while away camping, and these fit the bill. I'll probably read some more from the series later in the year.

#74 RocktonResident

Posted 12 January 2016 - 11:27 PM

2. Casey by Rachael Johns (ebook short story, very hot and steamy and good for a quick read)
3. See Me by Nicholas Sparks (not one of his best, IMO, but I still enjoyed the romance in the first half)
4. Thicker Than Water by Brigid Kemmerer (YA novel, loved it for the first 2/3 then it took a strange turn and I'm now scratching my head going what the?)

#75 mmeo10

Posted 13 January 2016 - 03:15 PM

#3 the husband's secret by liane moriarty. Not sure why i thought this was a light read.  It was a captivating tale about a community in disarray following the fallout when a girl was murdered and a secret revealed.  Loved it!  I'm off to find more by moriarty - perfect summer holidays reading 😊

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.