Head scarf advice please

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 ~Bob~

Posted 29 December 2015 - 12:58 PM

I've searched the forum, and found nothing. Does anyone have any advice on the best head scarfs to buy? Or where to get them? And are they better than a wig?

Thanks in advance.

#2 ~Bob~

Posted 29 December 2015 - 01:00 PM

I might throw in another couple of questions. Are all head scarves a piece of material that you need to learn to tie, or are there any that come already made up? Is one better than the other?

#3 jdl

Posted 29 December 2015 - 02:22 PM

I don't have cancer and I wish you the best in your journey. When I had to buy wigs for non cancer related hair loss, I noticed that the wig shops had lots of turbans and similar, made up ready to wear.  Hope this helps. You could google wig retailers on line if you are not able to shop in person.

All the very best.

#4 anna_garny

Posted 29 December 2015 - 02:39 PM

There's a lot of videos on Youtube about how to tie a headscarf/turban. I wear one sometimes and it's easy to learn but does take practice.

Wig shopping is another matter entirely - I'd advise to do a bit of googling and see if there's one local to you. If there's a social/support worker at your treatment facility they may have contacts as well.

There's also the Look Good Feel Better program that may be able to help with both things.

#5 mumto3monkeys

Posted 29 December 2015 - 02:39 PM

I haven't had cancer but had a long conversation with a friend about all her different turbans, wigs and chemo cap.

She had a couple of wigs for running about in public but they tended to get hot and itchy after a while. She (found synthetic wigs easier to wash/maintain as just needed to put in the the bat and brush it. (Real hair wigs were much harder to look after.)
She wore her turban out when "I couldn't be bothered" and it was easy.
At home she usually wore her "chemo cap' (really soft black beanie) as it was the most comfortable ... really soft. (My Dad also liked his chemo beanie.)

She embraced the chance to go from sexy long-blond hair to sultry long black wigs or just "hang-out" in her cap.

Good luck with your journey.

#6 JRA

Posted 29 December 2015 - 02:44 PM

It is challenging and hard to work out what is best. I rarely wore my wig, it just didn't work for me.

I wore scarves a lot as a younger person outside working with horses/on the farm so that route was easy for me to follow.

A lot of my scarves were just material, but yes, it is challenging to learn to tie them.

I also had some from cancer council, some of them yelled "I have cancer" which I didn't like

https://www.cancerco...m_campaign=Shop

I also found some long wrappy type scarve/come hat, which are hard to describe, but probably best described I can see as a head wrap,

http://www.hatshow.com.au/headwraps

especially this one
http://www.hatshow.c...h-white-stripes

It also depends on time of year, when it is hot, what you want to wear becomes more challenging.

I wore nothing around the house, and sometimes when out.

All the best, please, we are always here to help

#7 kirtyw

Posted 29 December 2015 - 03:07 PM

my sister wore (10 hers ago) and will wear (this coming year) a combination of scarves and hats/beanies.

She finds that it depends what they're made off.  Not too rough, light, breathable materials. (such as silk and linen)

Often she wore/will wear a light beanie under a hat and the hats were too rough.

At her request I just bought her one of these

http://au.icebreaker...BM200_color=602

Best wish for your treatment.  I hope you find what feels right for you.

Oh,  she found beanies easier when lying down, especially in hospital where the aircon can be really high

#8 bikingbubs

Posted 29 December 2015 - 03:14 PM

my aunty made my mum some things to wear under her wig...kind of like a tea cosy but thin stretchy material!

she wears it around the house too sometimes.

sorry i cant be more helpful, but she didnt like anything else that was available!

#9 ~Bob~

Posted 29 December 2015 - 03:25 PM

Thanks so much everyone. Everyone is always so supportive when I post.

It's not for me, it's for my MIL. She said she'd rather have a scarf at this time of the year, as the wig might be too hot, so I've been googling them. She said that she's considering shaving her head, as her hair is just so patchy now that there seems no point keeping it. That actually choked me up. I know it's stupid, but it's kind of a visual reminder of what is actually happening.

I was googling a little earlier on, and I saw that a lot of people seem to like the sleep caps under their scarf. I've just gone out and purchased two singlets from kmart and I was going to make them into caps. I didn't think I'd find beanies at this time of the year. I didn't think of the wig shops, jdl - that's actually a fabulous idea, as are the links everyone has provided. They are very helpful.

Thanks so much for the replies :)

#10 ~Bob~

Posted 29 December 2015 - 03:39 PM

kirtyw, on 29 December 2015 - 03:07 PM, said:

At her request I just bought her one of these

http://au.icebreaker...BM200_color=602

Thank you. I just ordered one :)

#11 ~Bob~

Posted 29 December 2015 - 03:41 PM

JRA, on 29 December 2015 - 02:44 PM, said:

That one is very nice. I'm going to show her this page before I order anything, as I imagine she will have specific tastes, but a lot of these are nice. I quite like the hats with the scarf loop. Such an easy way to dress them up.

#12 JRA

Posted 30 December 2015 - 11:45 AM

Shaving is not silly.

Once hair starts coming out in clumps, it is less traumatic for many for it to be shaven than see the clumps come out in the shower.

#13 Not Escapin Xmas

Posted 30 December 2015 - 11:49 AM

My mum got her head shaved. I think she found it quite liberating.

#14 JRA

Posted 30 December 2015 - 02:59 PM

I did as well, my hair dresser did it for me. So much better than Ds (who was 6mths) pulling out chunks of hair

#15 ~Bob~

Posted 30 December 2015 - 06:44 PM

Her hairdresser is away until 2nd, so I think she's going to wait until then and get it done. It's kind of nice, as it gives us a few days to get used to the idea. One of my children commented that it made him sad, but thankfully, we had spoken to the kids about it and prepared them and we asked them not to say anything to her, as she's paranoid about it.

She doesn't really want to wear a cap under the scarf. Will that be possible when she has no hair?

#16 JRA

Posted 30 December 2015 - 06:48 PM

Absolutely, I never wore a cap under the scarves.

#17 Snorkmaiden

Posted 30 December 2015 - 10:11 PM

Hi ~Bob~,

I started chemo last Oct and my hair started to fall out within 2 weeks.... my hair had been below my shoulders when it started to go, so I cut it off to just below my ears so it wasn't so obvious. Within a week my partner shaved it all off as I was sick of losing chunks at a time (which was the traumatic part for me).

Luckily a shaved head doesn't look too bad on me :-)

I looked at getting a wig but decided not to because its winter here (Europe) and I figured I'd just wing it for the 4 months of chemo.

Having said that, I was sitting next to a 64 year old woman during chemo yesterday who said she was thinking of shaving her head (her hair is quite patchy), but wasn't comfortable going out without a wig because of her age.

I am wearing beanies when I go out - my awesome Mum knitted me a collection, bless her. Depending on how I feel or how hot it is, I will sometimes take it off in public, restaurants etc. I haven't needed a sleeping cap, I can angle my pillow to cover the top of my head.

I will be back in Sydney next month which will be first time anyone has seen me in person with no hair. I've posted a few pictures and a video on FB so they should be over the shock. I hope.

#18 mum2brodie

Posted 01 May 2016 - 02:47 PM

My hair is less than 1/3rd what it was before I got cancer.  But I haven't fully lost my hair.   I have bowel cancer and apparently my chemo is different to those with Breast Cancer.  I wish my hair would have fallen fully out then people would understand I have cancer..... And I look sick because I am not a drug addict.

It is heart breaking daily for so much hair to fall out.  I can't do anything with what is left other than to keep cutting it short until its all gone.  I am not sure how others have coped with it.  It has been a daily struggle for me.

I did the look good feel good workshop the other day with wigs and scarf and it was a lovely day.  They talked about the different wigs and how to wear them.  They suggested the fake hair as they are easier to manage than the real hair.  But the can catch of fire easy so you need to be careful in the sun and around those outdoor heater things.

#19 ~Bob~

Posted 02 May 2016 - 03:47 PM

What chemo are you on? The same thing happened with my MIL. She didn't completely lose her hair, but it thinned out so much that she wanted/needed to use a scarf. We ended up shaving her head. She preferred that. I think she felt like she was taking some control back, as she as sick of living clumps of hair.

I'm sorry you're going through this x

#20 MissKDonkey

Posted 18 August 2016 - 03:05 PM

Hi, just an update from my experience.
I am having chemo at the moment, and my hair fell out 5 weeks ago.
I bought a wig before it fell out : I went with a human hair one for a couple of reasons  it feels like hair to me, it can be trimmed to any shape you want, its not effected by steam or heat, and it can be coloured. Its been coloured blonde with cool foils and it has a light brownish 'regrowth' down the part!! Its pretty and I put a toner in it when I wash it. I let it dry naturally and then use a straightener on the ends. The downside: it gets hot and its tight on your head, I wear glasses and this is a bit of an issue, when you put on and take off, they have to sit flat against your head, I had them adjusted for this.
The upside: it looks very natural, and I deal with the public at work, so it means less comments about how I am.. I look 'normal'.
I have also purchased a range of hats and things: I have found a company called Christine that do so really classy chemo friendly turbans and beanie type hats.. they are sold here in Australia by Rigon. I find I can wear these all day with no discomfort, and they have some dressy ones that I can wear to meetings and out to dinner and still feel pretty and smartly dressed. I have had comments like : you look like maggie Tabberer, or I didn't realise you'd lost your hair. I am really happy with them.

#21 mum2brodie

Posted 19 August 2016 - 05:26 PM

Thats awesome news.  I am glad that you got one so natural.  I still haven't gone and got my wig yet as my hair is still there.  I just try and pull it back into a pony tail the best that I can.  

Good luck with your treatment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.