Getting a phrase wrong

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#26 Mollycoddle

Posted 13 January 2016 - 10:56 AM

View Postrocketsurgeon, on 13 January 2016 - 10:34 AM, said:

"Lucked out". I've seen it used to mean they've been fortunate, as well as unfortunate. To the point I get myself confused as to which is the correct usage.

Same with 'on the wagon' and 'off the wagon'.  Seinfeld fans, remember that one?

Edited by Mollycoddle, 13 January 2016 - 10:56 AM.

#27 Baroness Bubbles

Posted 13 January 2016 - 10:58 AM

I have a couple on Facebook that annoy me...

Doing XX why I wait

I had a grate time this savo

Edited by Baroness Bubbles, 13 January 2016 - 10:58 AM.

#28 EmmDasher

Posted 13 January 2016 - 11:05 AM

My favourite: 'Admin delete if not aloud'

It's rampant in facebook groups.

#29 untamedmama

Posted 13 January 2016 - 11:11 AM

I think the one that annoys me most is when people say they've made a 360 degree change in their life; which makes no sense. You've just gone back to where you started!

#30 Abcde-La-A

Posted 13 January 2016 - 11:13 AM

View Postslinky, on 13 January 2016 - 10:44 AM, said:

A friend of mine use to hybrid her phrases....
An example...
The last straw, that broke the camels back
Or "the white elephant in the room"...

#31 jarlz

Posted 13 January 2016 - 11:24 AM

DP has a few that set my teeth on edge...

See monkey, do monkey...argh!

Siblings instead of offspring  (got me royally confused until I worked out what he was trying to say)

Brought instead of bought

Too many to list them all, and it's making me tense just typing them!

My exDH used to say emancipated instead of emasculated which gave me a giggle

#32 Zeppelina

Posted 13 January 2016 - 11:25 AM

I am going to use up all my likes in this thread. I have never heard 'has at a guess', but I love it!

My favourite is still TA's "Suppository of wisdom".

#33 Thylacine

Posted 13 January 2016 - 11:25 AM

Take for granite

#34 jessiesgirl

Posted 13 January 2016 - 11:50 AM

View Postuntamedmama, on 13 January 2016 - 11:11 AM, said:

I think the one that annoys me most is when people say they've made a 360 degree change in their life; which makes no sense. You've just gone back to where you started!

Yes hearing you on that one.  It's like 180 isn't a big enough number; similar to the footy players who say they gave 110 percent out there today!

I have heard enough people carrying on about being "in agreeance" with something that it almost fell out of my mouth the other day!

#35 CallMeFeral

Posted 13 January 2016 - 12:00 PM

I hate these threads, they use up my likes too fast!

I used to have a teacher who was always "sicking tired" of stuff, but English wasn't her first language so I felt bad for finding it so entertaining.

#36 balancing.act

Posted 13 January 2016 - 12:12 PM

I use a consultant who is great but almost every report has the phrase 'visa vee' instead of 'vis-a-vis'.

I think it's a bit of an unnecessary phrase when you can just write 'in regards to'. But if you insist on using it then at least spell it correctly.

#37 flyingkiwi

Posted 13 January 2016 - 12:19 PM

View PostSancti-mummy, on 09 January 2016 - 08:36 AM, said:

For years, I thought the word was DILEMNA -to the point of correcting it!!
Well I never.

View PostMollycoddle, on 13 January 2016 - 10:34 AM, said:

More a spelling than pronunciation - tow the line instead of toe the line. I go with the latter - but I can see how people might get the former from it (ie. towing a line behind a boat). Can anyone confirm which it actually is?
You are correct, toe the line, like at the start of a race.

#38 gravity1

Posted 13 January 2016 - 12:25 PM

Diddo, instead of Ditto.

His instead of He's.

#39 Mollycoddle

Posted 13 January 2016 - 12:34 PM

Another that's more of a spelling blunder but I recently emailed a Canberra Times journalist who used 'discrete' instead of 'discreet' - and it wasn't the first time I'd seen it recently, either.  Just like phase and faze, as a PP pointed out - the words have totally different meanings!

Edited by Mollycoddle, 13 January 2016 - 12:35 PM.

#40 unicycle

Posted 13 January 2016 - 12:34 PM

I am loving this thread.
Googled this : http://dilemna.info

I was definitely taught dilemna and my teachers were awesome when it came to the English language.
Love to know how that happened.
English isn't my first language, so I sometimes get a little stumped, but reading, reading, reading has really helped with phrases.

#41 Guest_Starlia_*

Posted 13 January 2016 - 12:39 PM

News.com.au is shocking when it comes to spelling and grammar errors.
I read a health article the other day in which "glutes" were repeatedly referred to as "flutes" and used heals instead of heels.

Such a junk site really.

Edited by Starlia, 13 January 2016 - 12:39 PM.

#42 Tinkle Splashes

Posted 13 January 2016 - 12:48 PM

View Postgravity1, on 13 January 2016 - 12:25 PM, said:

His instead of He's.

And he's instead of his.

A spelling issue, but I have a friend who always writes "thier" instead of "their".  She's 45 years old, you'd think she'd realise that her spelling of that word is always underlined in red on computers, and is different to the way everyone else spells it?

It's like she's taken "i before e except after c" and just applied it to every word with those letters in it.

#rantover

#43 coffy11

Posted 13 January 2016 - 12:52 PM

not a phrase but a word.  The guy next to me at work says "everythink" instead of everything.  Drives me nuts.

#44 Freddie'sMum

Posted 13 January 2016 - 01:07 PM

A woman I worked with used to say the word "gist" - as in "the gist of the argument is ...." but she would pronounce with a J sound - so Jist.

It confused the heck out of me because I didn't know what the heck "jist' was !!

Edited for spelling.

Edited by Freddie'sMum, 13 January 2016 - 01:07 PM.

#45 glassslipper

Posted 13 January 2016 - 01:16 PM

View PostFreddie, on 13 January 2016 - 01:07 PM, said:

A woman I worked with used to say the word "gist" - as in "the gist of the argument is ...." but she would pronounce with a J sound - so Jist.

It confused the heck out of me because I didn't know what the heck "jist' was !!

Edited for spelling.

I thought it was pronounced jist??? :omg:

#46 Freddie'sMum

Posted 13 January 2016 - 01:29 PM

*scratches head*

It was a long time ago - whichever way you are meant to pronounce 'gist' - she did the opposite sound and I got very confused.

Oh God - I have said it the wrong way round - you pronounce it with a J and she pronounced it with a G.

*blushes at my own faulty memory and stupidity*

#47 Tinkle Splashes

Posted 13 January 2016 - 01:36 PM

Edited because I hadn't seen the updated post!

As you were :)

Edited by Sultan Splashes, 13 January 2016 - 01:37 PM.

#48 Kiki M

Posted 13 January 2016 - 01:36 PM

When someone says that are on "tenderhooks."It's tenterhooks!!

#49 Luci

Posted 13 January 2016 - 01:45 PM

View Postglassslipper, on 13 January 2016 - 01:16 PM, said:

I also thought it was pronounced jist?

Edited by Luci, 13 January 2016 - 01:46 PM.

#50 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 13 January 2016 - 01:55 PM

View Postglassslipper, on 13 January 2016 - 01:16 PM, said:

Ditto, so apparently does the Cambridge dictionary, for both US and UK pronounciations!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.