Getting a phrase wrong

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#51 zrello

Posted 13 January 2016 - 01:55 PM

After I thanked DH for taking me out for a lovely meal, he said, "it's my pleasure, you're totally worthless (priceless) to me"
Some of his other gems, asking the lady in the jewellers if they had any 'real cubic Zuchinnis' (zirconia) and telling everyone we we're getting ditched (hitched), and later telling my Dad that he'd knocked me out (up).  
I always laugh when I see FB posts of people's 'little angles' and it makes me want to comment that they're very acute.

#52 Guest_EBmel_*

Posted 13 January 2016 - 02:03 PM

My sister's boyfriend has apparently taken to calling underpants 'pantalooms'.

(Obviously going for pantaloons but I don't know why he's even saying that!)

#53 Beanette

Posted 13 January 2016 - 02:21 PM

Not really a phrase, but I have seen many people in comment sections finding things "discusting" instead of disgusting.

ETA: And when people use "should of" instead of "should have"

Edited by Beanette, 13 January 2016 - 02:38 PM.

#54 No girls here

Posted 13 January 2016 - 02:22 PM

View Postrocketsurgeon, on 13 January 2016 - 10:34 AM, said:

"Lucked out". I've seen it used to mean they've been fortunate, as well as unfortunate. To the point I get myself confused as to which is the correct usage.

Aust and UK: unfortunate

US: fortunate

#55 wombats

Posted 13 January 2016 - 02:26 PM

I know someone who uses loverly (in emails etc) when they mean lovely.  I can't bring myself to point it out but do occasionally try to describe something as lovely hoping she'll notice....

#56 eponee

Posted 13 January 2016 - 03:20 PM

View PostMollycoddle, on 13 January 2016 - 10:34 AM, said:

More a spelling than pronunciation - tow the line instead of toe the line.  I go with the latter - but I can see how people might get the former from it (ie. towing a line behind a boat).  Can anyone confirm which it actually is?

toe

#57 Zeppelina

Posted 13 January 2016 - 03:21 PM

Ooh, just thought of one my DH used to use:

'Battering your eyelashes.'

I had to point out that unless he's frying them in a pan and serving them for dinner, he probably meant 'batting' eyelashes.

#58 Phoebo

Posted 13 January 2016 - 03:30 PM

View Posthappywombat, on 07 January 2016 - 09:50 PM, said:

As I child I thought people said "Homing in" not the correct saying "Honing in"

Actually, 'homing in' is correct.

http://grammarist.co...ome-in-hone-in/

#59 Cimbom

Posted 13 January 2016 - 03:32 PM

View Postzrello, on 13 January 2016 - 01:55 PM, said:

After I thanked DH for taking me out for a lovely meal, he said, "it's my pleasure, you're totally worthless (priceless) to me"

This was in Family Guy too :lol:

I hate when people write "could of" instead of "could have"

#60 Jane Jetson

Posted 13 January 2016 - 03:57 PM

I've seen a few references recently to "working at the cold face".

View PostStarlia, on 13 January 2016 - 12:39 PM, said:

News.com.au is shocking when it comes to spelling and grammar errors.
I read a health article the other day in which "glutes" were repeatedly referred to as "flutes" and used heals instead of heels.

This is why news outlets need well-educated, well-paid sub-editors. Just sayin'.

View Postwombats, on 13 January 2016 - 02:26 PM, said:

I know someone who uses loverly (in emails etc) when they mean lovely.

Is her name Eliza Doolittle?

Edited by Jane Jetson, 13 January 2016 - 03:59 PM.

#61 jessiesgirl

Posted 13 January 2016 - 04:07 PM

View Postzrello, on 13 January 2016 - 01:55 PM, said:

What a romantic!

A bloke told my best friend that she looked "ravenous" one night to which she says she replied "no I have had dinner thank you".

#62 Peanut

Posted 13 January 2016 - 04:19 PM

I mentally shudder every time I see someone use "wrapped" instead of "rapt" in a sentence.  Saw it in a news article once and despaired!

#63 dadwasathome

Posted 13 January 2016 - 04:23 PM

People being phased rather than fazed is my bugbear. I have cancelled decade old subscriptions over this error.

#64 jessiesgirl

Posted 13 January 2016 - 04:36 PM

View PostFeraldadathome, on 13 January 2016 - 04:23 PM, said:

I have cancelled decade old subscriptions over this error.

Goodness can I fetch your pipe and slippers Sir and the most soothing volume of Dickens from the bookshelf?

#65 CallMeFeral

Posted 13 January 2016 - 05:23 PM

View Postwombats, on 13 January 2016 - 02:26 PM, said:

I know someone who uses loverly (in emails etc) when they mean lovely. I can't bring myself to point it out but do occasionally try to describe something as lovely hoping she'll notice....

Sure it's not intentional? I'd do that as a My Fair Lady reference... not that I have but I could...

#66 BluJay

Posted 13 January 2016 - 07:07 PM

Chester draws.

I've seen this more than once on FB selling pages. :huh:

#67 Sancti-claws

Posted 13 January 2016 - 09:45 PM

View PostPhoebo, on 13 January 2016 - 03:30 PM, said:

Actually, 'homing in' is correct.

http://grammarist.co...ome-in-hone-in/

Or - not - http://www.merriam-w...tionary/hone in

(from the comments section) The phrases "home in" and "hone in" do not mean the same thing. They have similar but distinct meanings. "Home in" means to get closer to like a missile homing in on its target, while "hone in" means to pay close attention to, or listen to, or concentrate on something. Trying to group the two sayings together as one and decide which one is "correct" is pointless and unnecessary. (end of comment)

So we are trying to hone the meaning, and homing in on an answer.

Edited by Sancti-mummy, 13 January 2016 - 09:47 PM.

#68 CallMeFeral

Posted 13 January 2016 - 10:00 PM

View PostSancti-mummy, on 13 January 2016 - 09:45 PM, said:

Or - not - http://www.merriam-w...tionary/hone in

(from the comments section) The phrases "home in" and "hone in" do not mean the same thing. They have similar but distinct meanings. "Home in" means to get closer to like a missile homing in on its target, while "hone in" means to pay close attention to, or listen to, or concentrate on something. Trying to group the two sayings together as one and decide which one is "correct" is pointless and unnecessary. (end of comment)

So we are trying to hone the meaning, and homing in on an answer.

I can see what they are trying to say, but the grammatical use of hone does not lend itself to pairing with the 'in', so I would still say that the use of it with 'in' is due to a confusing with homing in...

#69 AsperHacker

Posted 13 January 2016 - 10:03 PM

View PostDionysus, on 08 January 2016 - 07:22 PM, said:

A work colleague used to say 'without further adieu'

I'm sure a presenter said this in one of the Christmas Carol broadcasts... must find a link!

#70 AsperHacker

Posted 13 January 2016 - 10:08 PM

View Postlozoodle, on 13 January 2016 - 09:23 AM, said:

I have a friend who insists on writing "alote" for "a lot". All the time. It takes everything in my power not to correct her.

I argued with someone last night as to whether alot was two words or one. She was convinced it was two. She was wrong.
http://hyperboleanda...ything.html?m=1

#71 missylou

Posted 13 January 2016 - 10:25 PM

In a Facebook comment I came across today, someone referred to living in a "colder sack" rather than a cul de sac.  I've been having a giggle about the image it conjured in my mind ever since!

Edited to add:  And two more that drive me crazy are "defiantly" instead of "definitely" and "devine" rather than "divine".  Both seem to be really common errors.

Edited by missylou, 13 January 2016 - 10:29 PM.

#72 CallMeFeral

Posted 14 January 2016 - 09:39 PM

Saw one in another thread that I hadn't come across before (sorry :ph34r: ). I'd always heard from go to whoa but never thought about it - someone said whoa to go which made me consider it... of course, in horse riding so to whoa would be from start to stop! Weird to use it all these years without even thinking about it.

#73 protart roflcoptor

Posted 14 January 2016 - 10:21 PM

I know that this phrase has been discussed in a grammar thread previously. But I noticed it being used, incorrectly, in a thread the other day and it just has to stop!

Can we PLEASE NOT adopt the Americanism of "could care less" when we mean that we "couldn't care less".

I could care less about this, obviously, from taking the time to write and post this request.

#74 Little_Dove

Posted 15 January 2016 - 05:07 AM

My Mum used to work with a women who pronounced Archive incorrectly. She asked Mum to order arCHive boxes.

#75 somila

Posted 15 January 2016 - 08:59 AM

View Postnamie, on 13 January 2016 - 10:19 AM, said:

It took me several reads of this to work out what she was saying! Surely that's a phrase you'd check before going to print!?

She was also the travel writer, and had recently been to Paris, so I suspect she thought she had it all worked out. :)

I wanted to email and tell her, but figured somebody else already had.  And it had already been published.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.