Stage 4 Bowel Cancer at 46

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#51 Roarsome

Posted 09 May 2017 - 08:48 AM

Another one really grateful for your post about your symptoms. Will always keep this in mind and remember your words about not putting off a colonoscopy.

So glad things are going well now.

#52 Grape Jelly

Posted 09 May 2017 - 09:03 AM

Much love and wishing you all the strength in the world.

#53 Therese

Posted 09 May 2017 - 09:06 AM

Thanks for your update. I am so pleased that things are going so well.

#54 Romeo Void

Posted 09 May 2017 - 09:25 AM

I'm so very glad to read things are going so well for you. And there's a whole bunch of women on here who are going to go out and do something about their symptoms because you've posted today. I'd call that a pretty good day!

#55 lucky 2

Posted 09 May 2017 - 09:46 AM

I'm so happy you are getting some positive outcomes for all of that difficult treatment.
I had my latest colonoscopy yesterday and I always look forward to them (except the prep), having someone take a good look at the inside of my bowel!
A bit of discomfort for a whole lot of good.

#56 *Nasty*Squeekums*

Posted 09 May 2017 - 09:59 AM

Great update
wishing you all the best and hope your remission is as good as permanent

#57 Juki

Posted 09 May 2017 - 10:10 AM

I'm happy to see a positive update.

I wish you well for your recovery.

#58 little lion

Posted 09 May 2017 - 09:04 PM

What a great update. :)

#59 Chelli

Posted 09 May 2017 - 09:19 PM

Wonderful update and thank you for coming in to offer support to other members. What a lovely thing to do.

#60 IamzFeralz

Posted 09 May 2017 - 09:39 PM

So good to hear your update! :)

#61 Mishu

Posted 09 May 2017 - 09:45 PM

Glad to read your positive update!

#62 mum2brodie

Posted 12 May 2017 - 01:17 PM

Please don't be afraid to ask your Drs for a Colonoscopy.  It is the only way to rule out any problems.  Poop testing even poop samples do not confirm cancer.  I know as I had done it all.  No simple blood test can confirm cancer.  

Don't let any Dr tell you "You are too young for bowel cancer". Or that you have to have it in the family.  Both are not true.  You can just be unlucky.

It is currently the 2nd biggest killer second to lung.  It kills more young mums and Dads than Breast cancer.

If found early it is very treatable.  

Having a healthy lifestyle doesn't mean you wont get cancer.  I was the fittest and healthiest I had been in years.

Mine sadly was let too late.  Because my Dr was sure it was IBS, stress and being a full time working mum with a child with ASD.

I know I thought about the cost of colonoscopies being a waste of money.  If in fact I am too young to be in risk age group.

Colonoscopies can be bulked billed through many private day clinics and you are only out of pocket $80-$120 dollars.  Sadly, well meaning friends told me it would be $1,000 to have one.  Money at the time we didn't have.

Living with 1/3 bowel or in some cases a bag.  Is hard work. One that I wish upon no one.  Having cancer is tough, horrible and if I can save someone from going through this.  Then I know I have done my job well while on earth.

I am always here if anyone wants to talk to me about any issues they might be having.  Or that they have bowel cancer or have someone near to them with it.

Just PM me xx

#63 Grape Jelly

Posted 12 May 2017 - 01:50 PM

Absolotely wonderful news. So happy for you.

#64 kass87

Posted 26 April 2018 - 09:39 PM

Mum2brodie how are going? I hope your doing well

#65 Grape Jelly

Posted 27 April 2018 - 02:28 PM

deleted: so sorry I was responding to an old post.

Edited by Grape Jelly, 27 April 2018 - 02:29 PM.

#66 mum~2~brodie

Posted 30 May 2019 - 12:26 PM

Thought I would just pop my head back in and say "Hello" to the people that asked for an update.

I am still here..... I am a walking miracle.

This week is two years without any chemo/treatment and my scans are still showing.  "No active cancer".  Sadly it doesnt mean I am cancer free.    

It was hard work over 46 rounds of chemo and immune therapy.  6 weeks straight hooked up to chemo and daily double radiation.  

But I am very lucky.  I am still here and soon to celebrate a birthday milestone that we didn't think would happen.

Please people.  Bowel cancer is killing people under 50 too. We had a 12 year old girl recently pass away from it.  

No symptoms other than a cramp/IBS type sypmtoms.

Although I am not a doctor.  If anyone ever reads this post and needs to chat.  Feel free to send me a message.

#67 amaza

Posted 30 May 2019 - 12:43 PM

What a brilliant update. I'm sorry that no active cancer doesn't actually mean cancer free though.

Happy birthday!! I'm so glad that you are here for it.

I have always wondered if you could get those screening tests if you are under 50 and have no family history? Do you know? My gut health is so dodgy and actually has been for years.

#68 mum~2~brodie

Posted 30 May 2019 - 01:17 PM

View Postamaza, on 30 May 2019 - 12:43 PM, said:

What a brilliant update. I'm sorry that no active cancer doesn't actually mean cancer free though.

Happy birthday!! I'm so glad that you are here for it.

I have always wondered if you could get those screening tests if you are under 50 and have no family history? Do you know? My gut health is so dodgy and actually has been for years.

Yes,  You can buy them at the chemist for $15.  However, I did two and both showed up negative.  As the blood was being reabsorbed into my body.  Not coming out.

#69 vanessa71

Posted 30 May 2019 - 01:27 PM

I hadn't read your original post until now and I am so pleased to have read your update at the end.

All the very best to you xxx

#70 steppy

Posted 30 May 2019 - 01:30 PM

Oh I'm so glad to read this - what a terrifying experience. May you continue cancer free for a great many more years.

#71 Beancat

Posted 30 May 2019 - 01:47 PM

Wow!

I have been following your posts too and I am absolutely stoked to read your update

your news has made my day!!!!

All the best for up coming birthday  - May you have a wonderful time celebrating with those near and dear to you

....and thanks for the info re the chemist tests

#72 IamzFeralz

Posted 30 May 2019 - 02:11 PM

Great update and opportunity to educate.

Bowel cancer runs in my family and I have colonoscopies every 5 years.  However I have heard it is now affecting more young people in greater numbers.

#73 Mollyksy

Posted 30 May 2019 - 02:44 PM

Mum 2 Brodie, I'm so pleased at your update. My mum lived for about 12 years with a terminal cancer diagnosis as the treatments kept it at bay. Her oncologist never ever gave a time frame on how long treatment would keep the cancer stable. She lived to see two more grandkids enter the world. And was taken far too soon of course but I know have many inspiration that a terminal diagnosis didnt necessarily mean a few months.

I truly hope the b@stard cancer cells stay dormanr far beyond my own mums record.

#74 Libster

Posted 30 May 2019 - 03:07 PM

This is the BEST update!!! I am so happy to read that you're okay!

#75 Chchgirl

Posted 30 May 2019 - 03:52 PM

That's so good tp hear, mum 2 brodie, I love hearing this.!

I went through this with my dh, other's positive stories genuinely make you feel happy.

And yes people, please test eatlier than 50, my dh was 50 and 47 when we found out.

I'm 51 in 2 weeks and have been having colonoscopies for a few years. My gastro dr said to forget the testing kits and just have a colonoscopy every few years. He thinks everyone over 40 should. I'm due later this year actually...

So glad again to see you are doing well mum 2 brodie xx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.