Jump to content
VBAC or elective c/s?
15 replies to this topic
Posted 08 January 2016 - 05:27 AM
I am 9 weeks pregnant with #2 and already thinking about my birthing options.
DD was IVF, after being in pre-labour for two days I was induced at 40+12, laboured for 12 hours and then had an emergency c/s due to foetal distress (slowed heart rate, meconium in waters). DD was posterior and never turned, though I did dilate to 10cm. I had a bandls ring and my uterus had definitely had enough.
I found the recovery difficult and rather painful.
Both the thought of another c/s and attempting a vaginal birth fill me with anxiety, and I am not sure which option I prefer.
I have a supportive ob who discussed the pros and cons of both and said its completely my decision. So I am looking for personal experiences of others - what did you choose and why? Were you happy with your decision?
Posted 08 January 2016 - 06:20 AM
Hi, have you considered a midwife? If you are only 9 weeks pregnant then you have time to sign up for public hospital midwife program (depending on where you are located). These programs match you to a midwife who provides continuity of care, and when you give birth she stays with you the whole time. Your OB will generally only turn up for the last part of the birth. You may well be able to use both services together. Or perhaps a midwife/doula?
Choosing birth method is incredibly personal and others experiences may not be what's best for you, but what's clear is that you need greater support to feel comfortable with an option of VBAC. Multiple studies show VBAC is possible, but also that women who feel comfortable and are less anxious have much better VB experiences, with less pain relief and interventions required.
Just make sure that you create good supports around you for whatever option you choose. And at the end of the day, the most important thing is a healthy baby and who cares how you get one! Birth is just 0.000001% of being a mum.
Posted 08 January 2016 - 08:24 AM
For my first pregnancy I had a 12 hr labour. I was induced due to pre-eclampsia. At 9am baby was distressed and I had an emergency c-section.
Physically I recovered very well but felt like I had failed due to having a c-section.
Second time around I planned to have a VBAC but had a lot of trouble deciding. The pre-eclampsia returned and I had another c-section. Very calm this time. Recovery physically and emotionally was good too.
All the best for you and your baby.
Posted 08 January 2016 - 08:36 AM
My first birth was sh*t. I ended up with a csection second time which wash combination of factors, DS2 had an unstable lie, was estimated to be a pound heavier and because even though I was fully dilated and no shoulder issues with DS1 I couldn't get him out (not could forceps), Ds1 so needed an operation two weeks after my due date. My repeat csection was so much better
Posted 09 January 2016 - 04:29 AM
I had a caesar with my second as he was breech and was meant to have another with my third. This was by choice as it was still pretty new to have a VBAC back then and doctors weren't as confident in it as they are these days.
Well I went into labour 1 day before my caesar was due and although I'm meant to be fully monitored during my entire labour due to medical problems I have, the midwife on duty kept telling us not to come in yet even though we explained the situation repetitively. Anyway I ended up having a homebirth which went very smoothly luckily for us and that midwife. The last time DF called the hospital an new midwife had just come on duty and told us to get there straight away. When DF told her how far my contractions were apart, she told us to call an ambulance!
That midwife got fried by my ob!
Posted 12 January 2016 - 07:58 AM
I had a CS with my first due to footling breech presentation with a huge dupes parity between HC and AC (meaning breech VB was impossible - my OB was one of the few pro breech VB).
As it was my first broke my waters a week earlier than the 38.5wk CS date and was emerg CS 2 hrs later. Recovery was fine.
Second I decided to go with the flow and make my mind up later. As it ended up, my second PG had umbilical artery issues which alone had a 90% chance of CS due to babies going into feral distress faster, so I just went with elective repeat CS.
Elective CS went as planned at 37.5wks. No problems, recovery was even better than the first (due to no labour).
Third was CS decided right from the start. When I went into labour at 36.3wks I was offered VBA2C but declined. Good thing too as my scar would not have lasted another 6hrs. Recovery after 6hrs of labour was harder but not too bad.
Years ago I had a paper from RCOG showing items which indicated a greater likelihood of successful VBAC and those which were indicators for unsuccessful VBAC. Ticking many items on the unsuccessful side put me off trying VBAC.
Posted 12 January 2016 - 08:14 AM
I had my first baby with a vaginal forceps delivery, then second baby was an emergency CS at 40+10 after 2 days of induction, failure to establish labour, failure to progress, baby getting distressed etc. Recovery was horrible for all manner of reasons.
Third baby I very much wanted a VBAC, even though everything in the world was against me (fat, unfit, very old, large baby, high blood pressure). My OB was happy for me to attempt anyway.
The main thing for me is I didn't want to go through with a scheduled birth - I preferred the idea of going into labour when the baby was ready.
As it was, I went into labour at 39w, and after 12 hours and failure to progress with a forecast big baby still entirely not engaged, making it dangerous to break waters due to risk of cord prolapse, I was happy to go in for CS again.
Recovery from the second emergency CS was ENTIRELY different from first time around. Still took me a lot longer than I imagine it would for a younger, fitter person, but did not have the agony of last time.
Posted 24 January 2016 - 10:32 PM
My first bub's birth was horrid. 3 days of induction, 12 hours of labour, emergency c-section, (ill spare you the rest of the details!), the recovery, which I thought then was normal, was really bad and took me a long time to get over.
My second bub I was scared as hell of going through it all again and opted for an elective CS. Was completely different experience and recovery about 1/4 the pain and time to get over. I was walking better the next day than I was a week after the 1st.
But now considering a 3rd baby I wonder about a VBA2C or if I go for the elective again, however, I do not for a second regret my decision with bub 2.
Posted 24 January 2016 - 10:55 PM
I've had 3 posterior babies vaginally. It's doable but it's all I know.
With DD1, 10 days over, her heart rate dropped and I was threatened with a cs but 3 ventouse machiney things later she was out (she broke the first two?!?). I was induced so didn't have pre labour but laboured for about 10 hours. Her birth wasn't pleasant.
DS was also induced, 10 days over. And my most favourite birth. Laboured under 7 hours (did have pre labour but only for an few hours), he was posterior too. No drugs. Awesomest birth ever.
DD2 wasn't induced. Still posterior though (what is it with my children?!?). Pre labour our started at 8 days over and she was born 10 days over. Worst birth ever. No intervention. No drugs. It sucked balls.
Moral of the story... every birth is different. Even when they're kind of the same. You need to decide what you're comfortable with. No one can really help with that because what they experienced may not be what you experience.
It's different when you know what you're in for. And that's scary. But, if attempting a vbac causes you the mist anxiety then go for what causes you less.
Posted 21 February 2016 - 08:57 PM
I've birthed both ways, when trying to decide how to have DS3 I was freaking out, I knew I wanted a VBAC but lacked trust in my hospital, in the end I decided that if I went over 40wks I'd go csection, but if I went into labour on my own then I'd give VBAC a go. In the end I went into labour at 37wks, it went great, I laboured for 16hrs which sucked but I got to go home the next day, was able to move about and pick up the kids straight away, I recovered much much faster.
Have a chat to your OB, talk about your worries, they should be able to talk you through it and help you come up with a plan that you're more comfortable with.
Posted 21 February 2016 - 09:56 PM
hi op. I can imagine that this would be very stressful. I also had a terrible first birth experience. I can still cry just thinking about it. Going through the Labour process to only end up with an operation. And after all that...getting no help or support at the hospital to look after a new baby straight after an exhausting 3 days and no chance to recover any sleep after I got home! I think it also affected how I bonded with ds1. Anyway, having a planned c-section was world's apart. I left the hospital after 2 days. I felt great. I was well rested. I recovered much better and definitely bonded with ds2 much better as well. Another great thing was that I was able to ask and got to have skin to skin and breastfeed immediately. This was pretty amazing as i didn't get that chance last time.
Personally I didn't want to get stuck with another emergency c-section and be too exhausted to look after a new baby especially since I also had a toddler at home.
What made recovery harder for you? Was there a particular issue like infection or pain etc?
Posted 21 February 2016 - 10:13 PM
It's different for everyone.
For me #1 I went with a highly recommended private OB, the baby was an emergency C/S with the reason being an "obstructed delivery". Basically I was fully dilated and she wasn't descending - my understanding is she was stuck in a funny position. Also very heavy meconium staining in the waters and she had to be aspirated right away etc (was fine afterwards).
For #2 I wanted a VBAC (C/S wasn't fun, nor was the recovery) and went through a public midwifery caseload program and also used a doula. Very different kind of birth. With no drugs other than gas I (obese, not young) was induced at 10 days past due date, and birthed a large baby (over 4.5kg!). She was perfect and I was out of the hospital less than 24 hours later. It was great and I still feel good about it, whereas DD1s birth is a much more traumatic memory for me.
But, of course your experiences are different to mine and your decision may well be different. I'm sure you can make a decision that is right for you.
Posted 23 February 2016 - 10:15 AM
Thanks for your input and sharing your experiences everyone. My ob is very supportive and has patiently answered my many questions. I've decided to give a VBAC a crack (ha,ha). But will happily opt for RCS if any complications arise later in pregnancy.
My first recovery was not complicated by infection or anything, but I was discharged from hospital 36 hours post-op and felt like I didn't recover as well as I could have - don't know if that was also impacted by long labor beforehand and PPH.
Hoping baby parks itself in the anterior position and everything comes together for a simple, safe birth.
Posted 29 February 2016 - 05:11 PM
My daughter had elective c/s with her first baby, as breech. With her second baby, a student midwife who was following her pregnancy for her midwifery course was getting stressed because DD didn't have a "birth plan".
Daughter replied that her plan was to see what happened. If everything went well and had a vaginal birth, great. If she needed elective c/s for any reason, also great. If laboured and subsequently needed emergency c/s, that would be OK too. Only issue was what was best for baby in the situation.
As happened she went into labour at term plus 6 days, laboured well, and had vaginal birth of healthy baby (just under 4Kg). Only pain relief was me and s.i.l squirting shower on her tummy and back. Had soggy but comfortable labour.
DD was glad afterwards that it was vaginal birth, when her 2 yo daughter jumped on her tummy in the ward!
Posted 08 May 2016 - 11:19 PM
I loved my VBAC. My son was also emergency C/S due to fetal distress. My VBAC was a 15 hour induced labour (apparently they don't normally induce you for VBAC but I was). The recovery was so much easier. I remember at 2 weeks being out and about and loving it. I also love that I have experienced both ways of giving birth but of course that is not always possible.
Posted 09 May 2016 - 12:06 AM
My first birthing experience was a bit similar to yours - posterior baby, 3 days pre-labour, delay in progression, augmentation (sintocinon drip), failed venteuse extraction then emergency c-section due to foetal distress. He was not overdue though, but big at 4kg. It was hell, really, and the recovery was awful.
I also got fully dilated and pushing for more than an hour.
I decided to try for a vaginal delivery the next time with the knowlege that due to it being a V-bac they would only allow labour of 12 hours or so before putting a timely end to it with another c-section.
Second baby was in a good position, virtually no pre-labour - six hours from the start of contractions to delivery. No intervention needed whatsoever. And he was even bigger at 4.3kg. He was 3 days late. I did have a stretch and sweep the day before, which got things going I think, because I was worried they wouldn't let me go much longer.
The experience was incomparably better. So satisfying and far less toll on the body. I felt so well afterwards. I went in with the idea that it was worth a try and I am so very glad I did.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users
Top 5 Viewed Articles