Am I over reacting

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Mommaape

Posted 12 January 2016 - 11:06 PM

My son just turned one, I've always believed he could see spirits but I thought it was his grandpas. Well for abt a month now, he acts scared to go to sleep sometimes. And when we're laying in bed, he stares at the ceiling but if u watch his eyes he's watching something. Sometimes he'll laugh but most times he'll whimper. And when he's asleep he let's out a loud cry but still sleeping, or he whimpers. Sometimes he smiles, tho. And if I watch him while he's asleep, he moves like he's being tickled or touched, n just tonight I was looking at him, and I didn't see a shadow or anything, I don't kno how to explain it, I explained it to my boyfriend when its hot out n u look at the street and its wavy , that's what I seen and he just tells me stop I'm working myself up, can anybody tell me if I really am or if someone is bothering my son?

#2 protart roflcoptor

Posted 12 January 2016 - 11:11 PM

Huh?

#3 Mommaape

Posted 12 January 2016 - 11:25 PM

?

#4 nasty snaugh

Posted 12 January 2016 - 11:28 PM

Are you okay?

I don't mean that to be mean, but in a genuine way, are you really okay?

I am not a doctor, of any persuasion, but that sounds kind of hallucinogenic. I'm not sure that's a good thing?

#5 Beqa

Posted 13 January 2016 - 02:25 AM

Maybe have your bf or your mum watch him sleep. If they do not see anything strange it might put you at ease.

#6 Mommaape

Posted 13 January 2016 - 03:02 AM

Yes I'm ohkay, I kno how it sounded, but what about him staring and his eyes moving, I don't like it. But I don't think I'm crazy

#7 Mommaape

Posted 13 January 2016 - 03:02 AM

Yes I'm ohkay, I kno how it sounded, but what about him staring and his eyes moving, I don't like it. But I don't think I'm crazy

#8 Fright bat

Posted 13 January 2016 - 03:34 AM

OP, its all completely normal infant behaviour. They all do that.

I don't think you are 'crazy'. I think you have a belief system that includes spirits. And that's fine. But its also important not to confuse that with completely normal infant behaviour.

All babies stare into space and their eyes move around - they are much more interested in inane things than adults all. Wait until he is 2 and notices every single cigarette butt on the ground, every crack in the road, every bird in the sky, every sticker on the wall... thats what children do, and its how they learn about the world. Staring and moving their eyes constantly. Adults have learnt to ignore the 'unimportant' things and so we don't, but all kids do this.

Babies are also coming to terms with their own emotions, and sometimes they make noises when the context is not obvious... because they are babies. It is normal for young kids to laugh spontaneously, or cry out. It is definitely normal for young kids to cry out in their sleep - the worst is when they have 'sleep terrors' which is when they are crying and still asleep, and you can't settle them because they are eyes-closed fast asleep. ALL babies do this. Every last one. These things are commonly written about in baby and parenting books, because you are not the first person to worry if your baby is acting normally.

Finally, all babies ARE scared to go to sleep... well not go to sleep per se, but be left alone to go to sleep. At some point they develop object permanence (look it up) and they worry about when they can't directly see something, whether that thing has disappeared (like mum). This is completely normal infant development, indeed I would be more worried if your baby wasn't showing this.

It all sounds completely normal. And while others might notice these things and worry that something is not right, you have looked to your own belief system for an explanation of something you are worried about.

So in short, yes, I do think you are overreacting. I think that only time will tell whether or not your baby will see spirits. In the meantime, I see nothing suspicious or sinister in his behaviour.

#9 Mommaape

Posted 13 January 2016 - 03:42 AM

Thank you! ^^ after reading your reply I feel ten times better! I've always worried too much about nothing. Very much appreciated thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.