Homebirth in 2016?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Hausos

Posted 30 January 2016 - 10:45 AM

Just wondering if there are any other homebirthers out there planning a HB this year? Would be nice to have a place to chat...

I will be HBing my third sometime Sept/Oct this year.

#2 Genabee

Posted 06 February 2016 - 04:31 PM

Hi Hausos,

I am planning a home birth for June.

This is my second baby, first home birth. I am very much looking forward to it, as is DH and DD.

Have you home birthed before?

Definitely keen to soak up advice from other home birthers!

#3 marteenam

Posted 29 February 2016 - 10:08 PM

Yes! Planning a homebirth in October. I've had two at home (now 5 & 2 years old). Looking forward to round three. I have the support of a lovely midwife through our local service. Happy to help any newbies with questions :-)

#4 GlitterFarts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 12:36 AM

Great to see women using the home birth option :dance:

Loved both of mine!

Happy to answer any questions, even if my last was 3yrs ago :D

#5 TheFirstNoel

Posted 01 March 2016 - 09:40 AM

Congratulations guys! I had a HB in 2013 and loved it. Good luck

#6 GlitterFarts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 11:03 AM

Cost of hb varies wildly

My first one (6yrs ago) was $2800
My 2nd was basically free (freebirth homebirth)

#7 Genabee

Posted 21 March 2016 - 06:39 PM

Ours isn't costing us anything, other than the hire of the birth pool/pump etc. It is funded through the CMP (I'm in WA).

Would love to pick the old timers brains about preparing then house and water proofing floors and mattresses! DH went off to Bunnings this afternoon (all excited!) looking for water proof drop sheets that were of a decent size. However he found his options limited. We are now thinking tarps with old towels over the top!

Does anyone have any advice regarding this?

We are looking at setting the birthing pool up in the lounge room and folding the sofa bed out to be in bed mode. There will be a couple of metres between the pool and the bed. The area is carpeted. We are obviously wanting to protect the sofa and the floors! (We have picked this space in consultation with the midwife. It provides the most amount of room for ease of movement around the pool, proximity to water and bed facilities if/when needed. Other areas in the house aren't as sizeable as the lounge room).

#8 BeStill

Posted 21 March 2016 - 06:50 PM

What about king bed sized brolly sheets. A friend of mine had her waters break in a huge rush on one and it didn't leak. You could maybe have a spare as back up? They don't feel plasticy.

#9 EllenD

Posted 21 March 2016 - 07:20 PM

We used dollar shop shower curtains, four of them, over carpet for HB #1.    Reused them again for HB#2 and we still have one on the go now that is used as a drop sheet for kids painting play!!  Kids are 5 and 2.    

Wishing you all the very best with your births!

#10 TheFirstNoel

Posted 21 March 2016 - 08:19 PM

We just put down those painters tarp things, plastic backing on one side. I didn't have a birth pool though. I recommend something soft, I spent a fair bit of time on the floor and it was scratchy on my knees.
Tarp and towels sounds perfect to me.

#11 Genabee

Posted 21 March 2016 - 09:56 PM

View PostBeStill, on 21 March 2016 - 06:50 PM, said:

What about king bed sized brolly sheets. A friend of mine had her waters break in a huge rush on one and it didn't leak. You could maybe have a spare as back up? They don't feel plasticy.

I did contemplate that, but to be honest I didn't want to spend quite that much! I do have waterproof fitted mattress protectors already. Good to know they withstand ruptured membranes though! My waters were the first thing to kick start it all last time, so a very real possibility they may go early in the piece again this time.

View PostEllenD, on 21 March 2016 - 07:20 PM, said:

We used dollar shop shower curtains, four of them, over carpet for HB #1. Reused them again for HB#2 and we still have one on the go now that is used as a drop sheet for kids painting play!!  Kids are 5 and 2.

Wishing you all the very best with your births!

Loving the shower curtain idea!!!! I have some plastic tablecloths for craft activities but DH is concerned they aren't big enough. After reading the suggestions of others in this thread and back through older threads, I really think he might be over thinking the whole thing! :rolleyes:

View Postleisamd, on 21 March 2016 - 08:19 PM, said:

We just put down those painters tarp things, plastic backing on one side. I didn't have a birth pool though. I recommend something soft, I spent a fair bit of time on the floor and it was scratchy on my knees.
Tarp and towels sounds perfect to me.

Last time I spent hours on my knees! I am definitely gearing up for extra padding this time!!! :yes:

#12 GlitterFarts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 09:54 PM

Yep, shower curtains but spring for slightly thicker ones as the mega cheap ones can tear. And be careful if you put them on the floor - slippery little buggers. We traded the floor ones for $2 cheap as chips tarps

Also cheap pillows are a godsend!! Flatten them first (sit on the for the week before birth ) so they arent slippery soft and chuck them when you'redone

#13 JessaFr

Posted 22 September 2016 - 11:21 PM

Do you remember a "Girls" episode about homebirth? It is hilarious

#14 LenaK

Posted 23 September 2016 - 12:17 AM

My homebirth was 3 years ago (already!).

We used a heavy duty outdoor tablecloth. It had a sort of rough fabric on the bottom and plastic on top so it didn't slip or break.  

Cheap pillows are a great idea - we didn't think of that and ended up throwing a good one away.

I hope you enjoy your homebirth as much as I did mine. It was amazing :-)

#15 mumwith3

Posted 19 September 2017 - 03:40 PM

I home birthed my youngest with the help of a doolah who was an experienced midwife, it was such an easy experience and would highly recommend it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.