Best enviro friendly cleaners?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Amel70

Posted 01 February 2016 - 02:03 PM

I'm keen to try swapping out the bleach and Jif but unsure how good the replacement cleaners will be?

Which brands are the best at cleaning but tick the right boxes for cost, effectiveness, not tested on animals, plant based, recyclable packaging etc.

I have seen online that there are some brands that are reviewed well but they from overseas and I would like to buy Australian made.

In the past some brands Ive tried from the supermarket have not done a tough enough job so I am considering buying from an online store - I just want to know it will work and is made safe and ethically.

Mostly wanting all purpose cleaner, surface spray and something that really does a good job in bathrooms and toilets.

What do you use?

#2 anna_garny

Posted 01 February 2016 - 02:14 PM

Personally I use a lot of bi-carb soda and vinegar. It can take a bit longer and you need to use elbow grease, but overall are just as effective.

I do like the Earth Choice stuff for washing clothes - hypoallergenic and smells nice.

When I can't get something to move/clean "enough" with the basics, I have a couple of products from these guys-
http://www.australia...ptusoil.com.au/

Their dishwasher powder is phenomenal and everything in their range is Australian made.

#3 AdelTwins

Posted 01 February 2016 - 02:26 PM

We use earths choice dishwashing liquid, dishwashing tablets and floor cleaner.

#4 Amel70

Posted 01 February 2016 - 04:29 PM

Thanks.
We have a plastic bath - would vinegar work on that?

I like the look of those eucalyptus products but its minimum $60 purchase. Not so good if you want to trial it. But at your recommendation I might try the dish cleaner. Hate the idea of what is left in the residue of others in washing up.

I do try not use too much cleaner when I clean but have stuck to bleach because of its effectiveness. I have a old injury that can't cope well with vigourous elbow grease.

I have never heard of Gumption. Is it natural?

#5 FeralProudSwahili

Posted 01 February 2016 - 06:39 PM

I like the earth choice range. I also use bicarb, vinegar and eucalyptus or lavender essential oils.

#6 anna_garny

Posted 02 February 2016 - 03:54 PM

See I only live a 40 minute drive away from the eucalyptus place so I can get less than $60 of stuff at a time - I go past it to get to my grandparents' house.

Vinegar and bicarb work ok on my plastic bath, I make a paste of bicarb whenever we get a ring around it, rub it on, leave for a few minutes then spray it with vinegar - it usually vanishes.

#7 prawntoast

Posted 27 February 2016 - 08:04 PM

I like white vinegar for mopping floors - once dried, the room doesn't smell like salad, I swear! :pray:

#8 Cherubs

Posted 27 February 2016 - 08:15 PM

I use norwex clothes and enzyme cleaning stuff plus vinegar and bicarb, everything sparkles and smells nice.

#9 shannonhill

Posted 20 May 2016 - 05:11 PM

Bicarb can be allergic to some people. I rarely take foods with it.

Vinegar works well for me. Earth choice is great too, but cost-wise I prefer vinegar.

#10 chickenpants

Posted 20 May 2016 - 05:30 PM

Is it the standard white vinegar from the cooking section that you are all using or that other vinegar that I have seen in... some other aisle.  I only noticed it the other day.
Maybe with the laundry stuff, next to the bleach?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.