Reading Challenge 2016

• Please log in to reply
455 replies to this topic

#26 Toomanybooks

Posted 03 March 2016 - 05:47 AM

#30 Find Me by Laura van den Berg

A brilliant dystopian novel, it's her first novel so I'm looking forward to seeing what she'll do next.

#27 Hands Up

Posted 03 March 2016 - 01:36 PM

#1 - The Wife Draught by Annabel Crabb
#2 - The Paris Architect by Charles Belfour
#3 - Rosemary: The Hidden Kennedy Daughter by Kate Clifford Larson
#4 - All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
#5 - Wars of the Roses: Stormbridge by Conn Iggulden
#6 - Wars of the Roses: Trinity by Conn Iggulden
#7 - Wars of the Roses: Bloodline by Conn Iggulden
#8 - After You by Jo Jo Moyles

and just finished
#9 - The Quality of Silence by Rosamund Lupton.

It took me the first third of the book to really get into this book, but then I loved it! Almost as good as "Sister" (her first novel).

#28 Ianthe

Posted 03 March 2016 - 06:49 PM

I have updated my first post in this thread to include the list.

#29 Toomanybooks

Posted 04 March 2016 - 08:26 AM

#31 Six Bedrooms by Tegan Bennett Daylight

#30 RipeWickedPlum

Posted 04 March 2016 - 09:12 AM

13. The Mortal Instruments book 3: City of Glass.
I'm still really enjoying this series... Three more to go.

#31 Lady Sybil Vimes

Posted 04 March 2016 - 07:04 PM

#4 Wifework - Susan Maushart. Read this while up at night with newborn so while I enjoyed it I already don't remember a lot of it.

#32 mmeo10

Posted 04 March 2016 - 11:35 PM

#8 Gourmet Rhapsody bu Muriel Barbery. From the author of the elegance of the hedgehog.

#33 Straight*No*Chaser

Posted 05 March 2016 - 08:49 AM

#8. All Together Dead - Charlaine Harris

This is my go to series when I want some quick/light reading.

#34 Tall Poppy

Posted 05 March 2016 - 06:51 PM

27. Notorious Nineteen by Janet Evanovich

#35 Ianthe

Posted 05 March 2016 - 09:21 PM

Lady Sybil-how is baby going?

mmeo10-how was Gourmey Rhapsody?

#36 Toomanybooks

Posted 05 March 2016 - 09:56 PM

#32 The Illuminations by Andrew O'Hagan

#37 ~peanutter~

Posted 06 March 2016 - 12:24 AM

Not sure how many I'm up to this year ...

I'm reading the Raven Boys series, not loving it but not disliking it either - it's a nice easy YA series, which is a good balance with the other I'm chipping away at - Half the Sky (not an angsty YA series, but about gender inequality and social justice reform).

#38 cardamom

Posted 06 March 2016 - 01:52 PM

#10 - What Alice Forgot, Liane Moriarty. This was a re-read, good gym book.

#11 - The Joy Luck Club, Amy Tan. Finally, finally finished this! Seemed to take me forever, I just couldn't get into it at first. I enjoyed it in the end, though.

#39 Lady Sybil Vimes

Posted 06 March 2016 - 03:00 PM

View PostIanthe, on 05 March 2016 - 09:21 PM, said:

Lady Sybil-how is baby going?

She's going great, thank you! I keep trying to use nighttime feeds to do some reading since she wakes up so much at night but the tiredness makes it tough. Sometimes I forget the beginning of a sentence by the time I get to the end. She's worth it, though.

#40 Lady Sybil Vimes

Posted 07 March 2016 - 07:29 AM

#5 Big Magic -Elizabeth Gilbert. Read this after hearing raves about it but without knowing much about it. It was... fine. No strong feelings either way about it but I might not be the target audience for it. I've read books on creativity I liked much better.

#41 mmeo10

Posted 07 March 2016 - 01:13 PM

Ianthe - I loved Gourmet Rhapsody and The Elegance of the Hedgehog. This one focuses on a minor character from Hedgehog (the food critic) as he's reflecting on his life at the time of his death, interspersed with ruminations from others (who have mostly despised him). I love the philosophical musings throughout!

#42 Hands Up

Posted 07 March 2016 - 01:50 PM

#1 - The Wife Draught by Annabel Crabb
#2 - The Paris Architect by Charles Belfour
#3 - Rosemary: The Hidden Kennedy Daughter by Kate Clifford Larson
#4 - All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
#5 - Wars of the Roses: Stormbridge by Conn Iggulden
#6 - Wars of the Roses: Trinity by Conn Iggulden
#7 - Wars of the Roses: Bloodline by Conn Iggulden
#8 - After You by Jo Jo Moyles
#9 - The Quality of Silence by Rosamund Lupton.

#10 - Moving by Jenny Eclair.

This was a real page turner, I'm definitely going to download some of her other books now.

Edited by Hands Up, 07 March 2016 - 01:51 PM.

#43 monet

Posted 07 March 2016 - 05:55 PM

#13 Orphan #8 - Kim van Alkemade

#44 Toomanybooks

Posted 08 March 2016 - 06:20 AM

#33 The Women's Pages by Debra Adelaide

#45 Lady Sybil Vimes

Posted 08 March 2016 - 01:30 PM

#6 The Road To Ruin - Niki Savva. Real page turner. Though there could have been more on policy/cabinet processes but it's very readable and I was impressed at how many people went on the record.

#46 monet

Posted 08 March 2016 - 02:23 PM

#13.1 Honeymoon in Paris - Jojo Moyes  A very, very short story, prequel to The Girl You Left Behind

#47 Straight*No*Chaser

Posted 11 March 2016 - 05:58 PM

#9 Bitter Winds by Kay Bratt.

This is the 3rd book in the Tales of the Scavengers daughters series. The series is set in China and the main characters are the girls that have been abandoned due to China's one child policy, and the poor couple that find them, take them in and raise them.

Edited by Straight*No*Chaser, 11 March 2016 - 06:00 PM.

#48 Toomanybooks

Posted 11 March 2016 - 08:17 PM

#34 Nobody Is Ever Missing by Catherine Lacey

#49 ~strawberry~

Posted 12 March 2016 - 04:03 PM

#14 Greg Iles - Dead Sleep
#15 Greg Iles - Sleep no more

Loved the first, hated the second!

#50 Lady Sybil Vimes

Posted 13 March 2016 - 03:32 PM

#9 The Dieter - Susan Sussman. Regular re-read, very sharp, funny novel about women, appetites and power.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.