Anyone from Auckland?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 PineappleLump

Posted 29 February 2016 - 02:07 PM

Hi EBers

Are there any Aucklanders around? My husband and I are both kiwis, but not from Auckland. For various reasons, if we were to move back to NZ, we'd need to move to Auckland. We're beginning to debate the virtues of living in NZ verses Sydney and NZ is edging out....

Just wondering, if hypothetically, money was no issue, where would you chose to live in Auckland? I'm thinking of somewhere that's got a village feel, good primary schools and secondary schools (private or public) and good transport links to the city as one of us would probably work in the city.

TIA for any input

PL

#2 Its Percy

Posted 29 February 2016 - 03:01 PM

Depends on your budget I guess. We live(d) on the North Shore (we're temporarily living overseas atm) and love it there. People get scared of the bridge but we lived in Birkenhead and the bus is so easy to get into the city on. Usually there within 15 minutes. The schools are all very good on the Shore.

So in answer to your question I'd move to Northcote Point/Birkenhead area.

#3 Sophie11

Posted 14 July 2017 - 07:39 PM

Hi not sure if you still want ideas.
We live in Remuera - 10-15 mins to city
We were out in Bucklands Beach for a few years
( used to live in QLD)
Let me know if I can help
Great schools in grammar zone
Cheers

#4 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 15 July 2017 - 09:46 AM

I am from Auckland and lived in Epsom and Onehunga. Have you looked into house prices or rental prices? Because that's really going to effect where you can live. Prices and rentals are crazt in Auckland, but I guess no worse than Sydney. I am freaking out that my parents house is now worth over 2 mill and hasn't been renovated for ages.

#5 Sophie11

Posted 19 July 2017 - 05:39 PM

A shack is worth 2 mill depending on suburb you live in
It's crazy but lucky for us we moved from Qld a long time ago

#6 sammyv

Posted 19 July 2017 - 05:59 PM

I would live in the Auckland Grammar and Epsom Grammar School zones if I wanted to send them to great public schools.  You can google the zone. (Auckland Grammar is a boys school and Epsom a girls school).

I would be happy to live in Remuera, Epsom, St Helier, Kohimarama, parts of Meadowbank, parts of Mission Bay.

I grew up in the Pakuranga / Howick area but wouldn't want to do that commute to the city.

#7 Its Percy

Posted 19 July 2017 - 07:59 PM

Our house in Birkdale has just been valued at $990k so I'd hate to think what something in the Grammar zones cost now!!

#8 Sophie11

Posted 20 July 2017 - 06:29 PM

Grammar zone prob about 1.5 mill depends prob get something around 1.1
We live in a x state house - its attached to a housing corp house . Plenty of housing corp houses in Remuera
People paying $50 a week ha ha got no idea what they pay but I'd love to know

#9 Sophie11

Posted 20 July 2017 - 06:29 PM

Grammar zone prob about 1.5 mill depends prob get something around 1.1
We live in a x state house - its attached to a housing corp house . Plenty of housing corp houses in Remuera
People paying $50 a week ha ha got no idea what they pay but I'd love to know

#10 Coffeegirl

Posted 20 July 2017 - 07:45 PM

We moved from Sydney to Auckland from 1997-2000.  Back in Sydney now.

All I know is that we found Auckland more expensive than Sydney all the way round.   Rent, home prices, food etc.

Not sure if it's the same now, or maybe evened out a bit?

We lived in Parnell and Bayswater, so both sides of the bridge.   Preferred Bayswater.  DH used to just catch the ferry over and back.   Easy. I was lucky enough to work in Takapuna, so could pop home for lunch :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.