IVF with PGD #109

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
450 replies to this topic

#51 Wonderstruck

Posted 07 March 2016 - 07:19 PM

I'm feeling ok Tac. Bit bloated but ok - worried how bloated I'll be by Friday.

Not long now - hopefully the pill you are taking will keep the OHSS at bay.

#52 tac87

Posted 07 March 2016 - 07:21 PM

That's sounds good Shiv. Well done. I hope you are felling ok tonight.

#53 Green lady

Posted 07 March 2016 - 07:22 PM

McBubba - quick rundown. I had to:

1. Get to hospital 2 hours before procedure
2. Nurses give me a gown to change into , take blood pressure etc
3. Then I sit around for a long time in the surgery waiting area until about half an hour before procedure
4. Get taken to theatre. Anaesthetist comes and explains the GA procedure and then embryologist comes to check everything ie that it's a PGD freeze all cycle with HAICSI and assisted hatching etc.
5. DH shows up to give his sample sometime in the middle of all this which he does at the clinic
6. FS comes to do the good luck chat
7. Go to theatre, get knocked out ( my favourite part I'd like my own supply for recreational use) wake up in recovery
8. After about half an hour go to clinic recovery area, get dressed have something to eat and then get discharged once have been to toilet. Take some painkillers if needed ( I haven't needed to)
9. Whole thing is about 5 hours - last one had to be at hospital at 7 for 9 pick up and left at about 12
10. Fasting food and liquids from midnight the night before.

#54 Wonderstruck

Posted 07 March 2016 - 07:27 PM

Thanks Green Lady, I presume I'll get some kind of run down if I get my trigger instructions on Wednesday...I'm an info junky but it seems they give you just enough info and no more lol

#55 tac87

Posted 07 March 2016 - 07:27 PM

Great run down Green Lady, my EPU was the exact same.... I Love #7 also, let me sleep longer this time I say!!!

#56 Wonderstruck

Posted 07 March 2016 - 07:37 PM

Mine will be twilight so we will see how it is different.

The impatient part of me wants the stim over but it will be nice to have the weekend to recover from EPU

#57 MeerkatManor

Posted 07 March 2016 - 08:00 PM

Perfect summary by Green Lady.

The only thing I'd add is start downing prunes, yoghurt and warm water like their going out of fashion after EPU.  The fentanyl you'll likely get slows down smooth muscle contractions. Bad enough to be bloated from the hormones without becoming blocked too...

#58 MissDolly

Posted 07 March 2016 - 08:01 PM

Just popping in to say I've been reading everything and good luck to all who are stimming, about to have EPU etc. sounds like there are some good numbers out there so I am keeping my fingers crossed for everyone.

Welcome to the new names, I just want to say that everyone here is really supportive and it's a good place to vent and say what you feel without being judged as we are all in the same boat. I hope you find the forum helpful also.

McBubba I had twilight sedation and I was asleep completely, I just woke up very fast and was not that groggy afterwards. Otherwise Green lady very good run down, although I never spoke to the embryologist before my EPU.

#59 Wonderstruck

Posted 07 March 2016 - 08:08 PM

Thanks Meerkat and MissDolly. It's so nice to have lovely people who know what its like :)

Just got to get through the next few days at work and I'll get a long weekend (albeit with an EPU thrown in there!).

A bit gross but did anyone else get any tummy upsets when stimming? I've found every few days I get cramps/pain and some loose stools (sorry if TMI). The first day it freaked me out about OHSS but I'm wondering if its just all the estrogen? Hoping I don't have some IBS stuff going on.

#60 tac87

Posted 07 March 2016 - 08:13 PM

McBubba I have been like that in the last couple of days. Just adding the the lovely feeling I already have through my body haha.

I just have twilight also but don't remember a thing, it's brilliant.

Good to hear from you MissDolly hope your doing well.

Meerkat thanks for the prune update. Heading to markets tomorrow - on the list!!

#61 Wonderstruck

Posted 07 March 2016 - 08:15 PM

Thaks Tac87 - its nice to know I'm not the only one out there going through all the glamourous parts!

I had a friend in stitches today explaining what its like injecting yourself in a public loo stall at 7.00am

#62 Babyblessed

Posted 07 March 2016 - 08:24 PM

McBubba mine was a bit different as I was awake throughout mine

I arrived at day surgery half hour before EPU, didn't need to fast so drank water to make my veins bigger

Changed into gown & went trough where nurse did admission and obs.

Embryologist came out to check details and chat about procedure

FS came and went over procedure & last minute questions

Chair wheeled into theatre by FS. FS put Iv cannula in & gave some alfentanil then put local anaesthetic in

I watched FS aspirate follicles and then embryologist showed me my eggs on the screen and talked about the quality and number. DH wa with me and asked questions and held my hand

Then back to day surgery for pain relief, hot pack, something to eat and home. I was in and out within 2 hours

Found the whole process easy & loved the interaction with scientists & DH being there

I was frightened beforehand as really wanted to be knocked out but it was actually pretty cool

#63 Wonderstruck

Posted 07 March 2016 - 08:27 PM

Thanks for sharing Baby Blessed, I think it could be cool to be awake and I think they expect me to be. Bit worried about how it will all feel - like when you have the internal ultrasound and you feel like pee the whole time lol.

Kind of getting used to all the audiences looking down there lol

#64 1lexi1

Posted 07 March 2016 - 08:51 PM

Sounds like some great follie numbers out there this week!!

My procedure was the same as Babyblessed - the painkiller gives me a nice floaty feeling, and it's nerve-wrecking but awesome at the same time to see the eggs being retrieved. The embryologist counts the eggs out out loud as they find them and it's all done with quite quickly!

It's was great to have DH there too - IVF is such an unromantic process, at least we get to do some of it together!!

After the egg collection was done, I relaxed with tea and toast whilst DH went to do his bit.

Having an EPU on Friday is great as you can spend the rest of the day and the weekend relaxing if you don't feel so good. I've recovered nicely after each, but it's nice to have a relaxing few days esp when you're already stressing about what happens next!

#65 Green lady

Posted 07 March 2016 - 09:07 PM

Like Meerkatmanor said - keep up the fluids after EPU. I made sure I drank lots of water. Lots more than I usually would. My FS said ' keep your urine pale'. I was on OHSS watch so lots of fluids is very important.

#66 Green lady

Posted 07 March 2016 - 09:11 PM

Tac87 - I should amend my list to say ' rudely awakened in recovery from deep dreamless sleep' !

#67 Animal Lover

Posted 07 March 2016 - 11:32 PM

Green lady - nice run down. Just like mine except for the embryologist. I wouldn't mind seeing them.
LOVE the anaesthetic! After being woken by the nurse they always ask to rate the pain out of 10. I always wanna say "10! Give me more drugs and let me sleep!"

Good luck to everyone who has EPU this week. I only started 'deflating' yesterday which was 3 days past EPU. But looks like AF is already here! Started this evening. I'm worried it's too quick and that I won't get PGS results back in time for FET. That's if I even get something to test and that anything comes back normal.
Always something to worry about hey?

#68 tac87

Posted 08 March 2016 - 01:14 PM

ALWAYS something to worry about Animal. Good luck, when will you get your PGS results back?

Triggered last night.

Already drinking loads of water. Feeling really sick today.... They said that's because my estrogen is so high, it's gross. Can't wait to get tomorrow over and done with. Anxious to see how many eggs they get. We desperately want to send off for PGD this time. my FS said ideally we should send 10 embs..... Sooo We need 8 from this cycle FX. Our embryos are getting tested in USA but they said it would stil just take 3-ish weeks for results. So much on my mind today.

#69 MissDolly

Posted 08 March 2016 - 01:35 PM

Good luck with your results Animal!

And good luck with EPU tomorrow tac. Hope you get great numbers. Did your FS say how many cycles he thinks you will need to do to get 10 to testing stage?

#70 tac87

Posted 08 March 2016 - 01:39 PM

Hi miss dolly. No he didn't. As I only got 4 eggs last cycle (2 embs in freezer ) he probably didn't want to start guessing.
I've responded a lot better this cycle but trying to not get excited.  If only I could just get them tested after each cycle in Aust, but this is the cards I've been delt. Good old genetics
I sound like a moaner , sorry I'll blame the hormones .

#71 tac87

Posted 08 March 2016 - 01:42 PM

They are getting sent to a company Called Natera in San Carlos , California. So crazy.
That's why I've had to egg bank and send in bulk.

#72 MissDolly

Posted 08 March 2016 - 02:42 PM

Is it because of the test you are having done that they have to send it to the States? Or just where your clinic sends them?

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you get heaps to test this time. You don't sound like a moaner, I understand the frustration, I'm sure everyone here does!!

#73 tac87

Posted 08 March 2016 - 03:02 PM

Its just because of what they are testing for. we are first in Aust to have this gene disorder (something to really celebrate ?? Ha) less than 30 cases world wide. Stil puzzle/amazes us...
they generally use Monash for testing though.

#74 MeerkatManor

Posted 08 March 2016 - 03:23 PM

Tac good luck with your egg retrieval tomorrow!

Green lady did you ever get around to testing your testosterone/DHEA levels? I certainly think the most likely explanation for my improved results is chance. But even my FS was intrigued and said that she might try prescribing it to her other patients in my situation(good ovarian reserve but unexpected high % aneuploidy). In medicine there is no magic bullet that works for everyone. I imagine antioxidants would be more useful to those genetically predisposed to oxidative damage or have a poor diet/lifestyle. Likewise DHEA logically can only be of benefit if your levels are low. Sorry if I sound like a drug rep.!

#75 Green lady

Posted 08 March 2016 - 04:39 PM

Meerkat - not yet. I'm going to do it this cycle when I get to day 21/22 next week as I am testing progesterone as well to see if I have ovulated. I always have regular cycles and get peaks on opks but last month and now again this month I'm getting nothing on opks despite other ovulation signs, so want to test progesterone to see if I'm actually ovulating.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.