Advanced maternal age concerns

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Treadyourownpath

Posted 13 March 2016 - 08:22 PM

We are 24 weeks pregnant with our third baby @ 37 yrs. Ob is sending me for regular scans to check babies growth and keeps referring to my advanced maternal age. What other tests can I expect due to my age? What are the risks at this age? Have others experienced this? Should I be worried? Am starting to stress! Thanks for any advice.

#2 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 13 March 2016 - 08:26 PM

My ob was similar - but I was older than you - 39. I had regular scans - and three of those awful glucose drinks for gestational diabetes (which I did end up getting quite late in pregnancy - we just controlled it with diet).

Good luck !

#3 Beeeeeez

Posted 13 March 2016 - 08:36 PM

Hi OP I was 41 when I had mine. I had regular scans, GTT and NIPT. Not sure what risk you are referring to? Risk due to pregnancy or risk of chromosomal disorders?

#4 Treadyourownpath

Posted 13 March 2016 - 08:51 PM

Thanks for replying. I guess risk due to pregnancy. After my last appointment I stupidly Googled risks in pregnancy after 35 and the first article I read mentioned pre-eclampsia and stillbirth. I had been pretty relaxed up until now, but am now getting worried.

#5 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 13 March 2016 - 08:51 PM

I had my fourth at 38. But they referred to me as advanced maternal age with my 3rd aged 36! I believe from 35 you are officially an old fogey. Anyway I had the usual stuff at 13 weeks and 20 weeks. I was offered CVS but declined. That was the only additional test I was offered.

#6 Beeeeeez

Posted 13 March 2016 - 09:00 PM

Do you have any risk factors for preeclampsia? Did you have any problems during your other two pregnancies? If not I wouldnt worry about that one. I was worried about still birth, but the scientific information I was reading the risk factors were higher for over 40s.

#7 LucidDream

Posted 13 March 2016 - 09:27 PM

i'm 45 and I'm breastfeeding my surprise baby (7 weeks old) as i type.  

I had my first baby at 36 nearly 37 and was mortified to read "advanced maternal age" on my hospital card!  

No pregnancy is risk free but the odds are very high that your pregnancy will be complication-free with a healthy baby at the end of it all, so do try to relax.:)

#8 merleauponty

Posted 13 March 2016 - 10:07 PM

I was 34/35 when pregnant with my first and 36/37 with my second. Nobody ever, ever referred to me as of advanced maternal age. It was not on my card and I was not referred for extra tests, except one I requested myself (harmony test in second pregnancy).

The handful of times I referred to myself as older to my OB and other health professionals, the response was a variation of "you're not older, you're actually quite young around these parts".

I am not a health professional. But from what I understand much of the risks focus for 35+ mums is regarding (1) chromosomal disorders and (2) increased risk of still birth associated with post-dates. But these are still very low-risk. I didn't bother worrying about them and I don't think you should either! After all there is testing for (1) - you've probably been through this - and options in relation to (2). I personally wouldn't go too far overdue at over 35 years old, but everyone balances competing risks differently.

Don't worry OP - really! Best with your pregnancy.

Edited by merleauponty, 13 March 2016 - 10:08 PM.

#9 AnnaSchmanna

Posted 13 March 2016 - 10:26 PM

I'm 39 and expecting my second, and have had no extra scans or the like. I've only been told that they don't want me to go post dates so will induce if no action before my EDD. I was induced at around 38 wks with my first due to mild pre eclampsia, but the OB does not think it highly likely that it will recur, though of course they are keeping a check for that. But no more frequently than they did in my first pregnancy.

Try not to stress! Risks do increase with age, but they are still relatively small and sounds like your OB is erring on the side of extra monitoring compared with what other OBs do for women of similar age. So any issues are super likely to be picked up in time to deal with them.

#10 Treadyourownpath

Posted 13 March 2016 - 10:36 PM

Thanks for the reassurances. Congrats LucidDream that's awesome! No complications with first two, both over 4kgs but no GD, just a few years younger and didn't worry about these things. Thanks for putting things into perspective 😊

#11 Kafkaesque

Posted 13 March 2016 - 10:39 PM

Wow I had my third last year and I was 37  and had no additional care/monitoring at all. I had a private OB at the start and he wasn't concerned and neither were the midwives when I swapped to midwifery group practice! I was over weight too...

My pregnancy was uncomplicated and I have a healthy happy 10 month old.

#12 Fizgig

Posted 13 March 2016 - 10:43 PM

I'm the same as PPs. First at 36 and second at 38. My age was never mentioned except at the 12 week scan when they went through how the risk for Downs was calculated. No extra scans or tests based on my age. I had one extra scan with my first to check growth at 32 weeks but that was due to me having antinuclear antibodies.

#13 libbylu

Posted 13 March 2016 - 11:00 PM

My second at age 37 had no extra monitoring or care than with my first at age 29.

#14 Renovators delight

Posted 14 March 2016 - 01:07 AM

I had my babies at 38, 39 and 42. As far as I'm aware thetr was no change in my treatment due to age alone - things like blood pressure monitored as I have preexisiting high blood pressure, extra GTT each time due to my extra weight, growth scan due to those two variables.

I think it's just one of those things that factors in. My first came on his due date, but my second I went to 40+10 before induction. My third we were giving til 40w as a VBAC attempt but he decided to come at 39w himself.

#15 JustMyGirl

Posted 14 March 2016 - 05:53 AM

Older mum here too. Had my only at 40. Nobody ever mentioned my age, no extra tests, midwife care all the way. I had a trouble free pregnancy and delivery and a very healthy baby.
All the best OP and try not to worry.

#16 sophiasmum

Posted 14 March 2016 - 07:39 AM

I think your OB is just being cautious. I had my last baby at 40 through the midwives at the birth centre & they didn't treat me any differently. Normal pregnancy, no complications, natural birth (although induced), healthy baby. Good luck OP!

#17 Dionysus

Posted 14 March 2016 - 07:42 AM

First at almost 36
Second at almost 42

Referred to as advanced maternal age, but didn't have extra scans etc with either pregnancy (apart from my requested early scans due to history of m/c)

Good luck OP, try to relax and stay off google! (Easier said than done, I know!)

#18 Soontobegran

Posted 14 March 2016 - 07:50 AM

Can I just say that just because your caregiver doesn't mention anything to you about the slightly higher risks for older mothers they will be vigilant.
It should not be taken as a negative if they do mention it and want to be cautious and it shouldn't be presumed it to be a positive if they don't.

OP most 37 year old women have wonderfully normal pregnancies and deliveries...good luck.

#19 Dustyblue

Posted 14 March 2016 - 11:40 AM

View PostSoontobegran, on 14 March 2016 - 07:50 AM, said:

Can I just say that just because your caregiver doesn't mention anything to you about the slightly higher risks for older mothers they will be vigilant.
It should not be taken as a negative if they do mention it and want to be cautious and it shouldn't be presumed it to be a positive if they don't.

OP most 37 year old women have wonderfully normal pregnancies and deliveries...good luck.

Out of curiosity, what sort of things might they be looking for that they aren't mentioning?

I'm 25w with my first at 41- like others here I don't appear to be getting any extra monitoring at all. The rural hospital I'm using is low risk only so I'm guessing they'd send me off pretty fast if anything came up... would that be more likely with age factored in?

#20 Kafkaesque

Posted 14 March 2016 - 11:48 AM

View PostSoontobegran, on 14 March 2016 - 07:50 AM, said:

No one said that caregivers aren't aware of and watching for risks. However there isn't a need for additional monitory as a default.

#21 JRA

Posted 14 March 2016 - 11:58 AM

Gee things must have changed, I had DS 13 years ago at 37.  Other than the NT "stuff" there was not 'extra scans"

My advanced age was not referenced once, from my perspective I did not see it as advanced,  

I was young compared to when my mum had me, my grandparents had my parents, and DH's parents had him.

#22 Soontobegran

Posted 14 March 2016 - 12:17 PM

View PostKafkaesque, on 14 March 2016 - 11:48 AM, said:

No one said that caregivers aren't aware of and watching for risks. However there isn't a need for additional monitory as a default.

I am sorry but for some caregivers it is their default position and with good reason for many.

#23 Soontobegran

Posted 14 March 2016 - 12:22 PM

View PostDustyblue, on 14 March 2016 - 11:40 AM, said:

Out of curiosity, what sort of things might they be looking for that they aren't mentioning?

I'm 25w with my first at 41- like others here I don't appear to be getting any extra monitoring at all. The rural hospital I'm using is low risk only so I'm guessing they'd send me off pretty fast if anything came up... would that be more likely with age factored in?

Just the normal things for all aged pregnant women with extra vigilance for those things that 'may' become an issue with older women, meaning they may see you a little more often but each caregiver has their own levels of acceptable risk and if your pregnancy is progressing well and normally that will be enough for many.

#24 Soontobegran

Posted 14 March 2016 - 12:28 PM

View PostJRA, on 14 March 2016 - 11:58 AM, said:

Gee things must have changed, I had DS 13 years ago at 37.  Other than the NT "stuff" there was not 'extra scans"

My advanced age was not referenced once, from my perspective I did not see it as advanced,  

I was young compared to when my mum had me, my grandparents had my parents, and DH's parents had him.

37 isn't what I call elderly either and most caregivers place little emphasis on your age under 40 but in terms of obstetric definition it is because the risk does rise exponentially with every year of life.

I don't think we should aspire to go back to the days of non monitored pregnancies for the older mother.....there was a significantly higher morbidity and mortality rate but then I am not talking about pregnancies for women in their 30s which still present a low risk.

#25 JRA

Posted 14 March 2016 - 12:38 PM

True STBG, I am not saying it should be non monitored, but really struggling to see 37 as advanced maternal age.

ETA: I can't imagine being my mum, having twins as her first pregnancy at 37 and not expecting twins!!

Edited by JRA, 14 March 2016 - 12:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.