What our parenting generation does well

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#51 Ellie bean

Posted 15 March 2016 - 08:59 PM

View PostPaddlepop, on 15 March 2016 - 08:25 PM, said:

Seriously? Formula is that bad in your opinion? Go away.
]
Come on Paddlepop, didn't you mix your baby's formula with Tang to get her to drink it? I certainly did, isn't that the only sort of parent that uses formula? lol

#52 Paddlepop

Posted 15 March 2016 - 09:05 PM

View PostEllie bean, on 15 March 2016 - 08:59 PM, said:

Come on Paddlepop, didn't you mix your baby's formula with Tang to get her to drink it? I certainly did, isn't that the only sort of parent that uses formula? lol

No, I was mean. I made her have it straight with no flavouring. Hang on, does Coloxyl count as flavour? It's chocolate-caramel flavoured. That was only once a day though.

#53 Acidulous Osprey

Posted 15 March 2016 - 09:06 PM

I can't find my Plunket book but I am pretty sure I was fed with homemade formula made with condensed milk...

#54 cinnabubble

Posted 15 March 2016 - 09:08 PM

I was fed on watered down cows' milk with extra lactose added. It was 1969. It was definitely a completely suboptimal food for babies.

#55 Pooks Combusted

Posted 15 March 2016 - 09:26 PM

Gosh. This one has it all.

Looking just at DH and my families- every generation before ours was in dire poverty. There was child abuse, high rates of infant loss, children left schooling very early and families were very large. Parents worked themselves to the bone in ways I really struggle to comprehend and kids were at higher danger of injury and illness, DH's aunt died of polio as a child and one of my relatives was killed playing on train tracks. Mental illness was fairly across the board and completely unacknowledged.

But yep, we are fat.

#56 Paddlepop

Posted 15 March 2016 - 09:39 PM

View Postcinnabubble, on 15 March 2016 - 09:08 PM, said:

I was fed on watered down cows' milk with extra lactose added. It was 1969. It was definitely a completely suboptimal food for babies.
A homemade milk drink isn't formula. It's a milk drink. A homemade milk drink is suboptimal to commercial formula.

Suboptimal. Such a judgemental word isn't it?

#57 Riotproof

Posted 15 March 2016 - 10:02 PM

View PostPaddlepop, on 15 March 2016 - 09:39 PM, said:

A homemade milk drink isn't formula. It's a milk drink. A homemade milk drink is suboptimal to commercial formula.

Suboptimal. Such a judgemental word isn't it?

I'm happy to be corrected, but I thought cinnabubble was saying her early diet was so not great, anything would be an improvement on it.

I don't know much about it, but dmil says DH was fed evaporated milk in the (place she adopted him from, I don't think orphanage is the right word) and that was 1975.

#58 Acidulous Osprey

Posted 15 March 2016 - 10:08 PM

LOL cinna and I were both pointing out there are worse options than commercial formula.

#59 Riotproof

Posted 15 March 2016 - 10:32 PM

Thanks Ao, sometimes I wonder whether I've missed something.

#60 AsperHacker

Posted 16 March 2016 - 06:46 AM

View PostSCG23, on 15 March 2016 - 08:19 PM, said:

I understand what you're understand what you are saying, but capital cities indicative of a more multicultural Australia and have been for some time? And haven't previous generations also included immigrants? Or, are we only talking about Caucasian/white Australians?

I mentioned what I have noticed, and while some of these children lack independence and responsibility for their own belongings because there's an adult hovering over them taking care of that for them, it is not exclusively the immigrants doing this. I've noticed it  with other families and at other schools, too.

The lack of discipline or minimalistic approach to discipline is also evident in other families, too.

I've heard of parents lamenting how they can't get their kids to do things at home. They seem to not know how to say no to them.

No, I'm not only talking about Caucasian white Australians. I'm talking about cultural parenting practices.

I know what capital cities are like. I spent my first 25 years in a capital city,  and yes earlier generation parent who were immigrants parented according to their culture then too.

I just don't think it's helpful to refer to cultural parenting strategies as molly coddling when theyre done for reasons other than my precious snowflake couldn't possibly carry their own bag.

#61 ~river song~

Posted 16 March 2016 - 07:14 AM

On the school thing, as a FYOS parent I'm noticing this too. Not just kindy parents hanging around (I kiss and run) but older kids who are hanging off mums leg, grade 5 kids with mum carrying their bag and walking them to their class line. They should be capable by now and you're hindering the process.
Get a life people!!!

#62 AggyW72

Posted 16 March 2016 - 07:35 AM

View PostEllie bean, on 15 March 2016 - 08:59 PM, said:

]
Oh my gosh Tang! Can you still get Tang? I loved that stuff. Perhaps I should have tried it in DS's formula, then he might weigh more than 28kg at 10 years of age.

#63 JustMyGirl

Posted 16 March 2016 - 07:38 AM

I carry my DD's bag. Not because she's a precious snowflake but because it's too big and heavy for a 5 yr old. I don't like the posture she assumes when she attempts to carry it. I encourage independence in other ways.

#64 seayork2002

Posted 16 March 2016 - 07:44 AM

View PostJustMyGirl, on 16 March 2016 - 07:38 AM, said:

I carry my DD's bag. Not because she's a precious snowflake but because it's too big and heavy for a 5 yr old. I don't like the posture she assumes when she attempts to carry it. I encourage independence in other ways.

Same i remember the scoliosis tests at school

#65 No Drama Please

Posted 16 March 2016 - 08:01 AM

View Postseayork2002, on 16 March 2016 - 07:44 AM, said:

Same i remember the scoliosis tests at school
DP has scoliosis from carrying a heavy schoolbag as a child. I had always thought it was hereditary until then but apparently not. I would be looking into other ways to encourage independence TBH.

#66 Soontobegran

Posted 16 March 2016 - 08:06 AM

View PostWhen In Rome, on 15 March 2016 - 07:13 PM, said:

I was too scared to speak at all when I was at school. Our teacher used to hit us on a fairly regular basis so am more than happy those days are gone!

I quite like the way kids are nurtured and listened to now instead of being expected to shut up and follow orders. It probably is a bit over the top but the alternative was pretty miserable from what I remember.

What generation are we talking about?

Love how here on EB every generation that precedes people is clumped together in one homogenous mass of teaching and parenting styles.
It is no more appropriate than doing it for this generation.

#67 Soontobegran

Posted 16 March 2016 - 08:10 AM

View Post~river song~, on 16 March 2016 - 07:14 AM, said:

On the school thing, as a FYOS parent I'm noticing this too. Not just kindy parents hanging around (I kiss and run) but older kids who are hanging off mums leg, grade 5 kids with mum carrying their bag and walking them to their class line. They should be capable by now and you're hindering the process.
Get a life people!!!

This type of judgement truly sucks.
Who are you to tell someone to get a life? You've no idea what is going on in the lives of those people who feel they need to stay around awhile.

FTR it has happened in every generation I have lived in....there will always be 'those' parents. Mind your own business.

#68 Illiterati

Posted 16 March 2016 - 08:16 AM

View PostJustMyGirl, on 16 March 2016 - 07:38 AM, said:

What does a 5yr old need to take to school to make their bags too heavy to carry?

Even in grade six my kids just had to take their lunch, snack and hat to school. A drink bottle too if they remembered - but they preferred to drink out of the bubblers mostly. Lunch was just a sandwich, snack a piece of fruit.

#69 Soontobegran

Posted 16 March 2016 - 08:17 AM

Cow's milk has to be diluted and it has to be boiled to make it digestible by the human infant. Human babies can not digest the proteins in non boiled cow's milk.
Cane sugar was added and infants were given Pentavite to ensure they were getting the vitamins that were missing from this type of formula.
Cow's milk formula is still an appropriate emergency feed, it fed generations of people before infant formula was developed but of course formula is a much better option these days...we know better.
Being fed a cow's milk formula was not a sign of sub optimal parenting, for many it was the best they could do. The same parents would make a completely different choice these days because they can.

Edited by Soontobegran, 16 March 2016 - 08:19 AM.

#70 JustMyGirl

Posted 16 March 2016 - 08:35 AM

It's not even what's in the bag - the bag itself is too heavy IMO.
But I also bough her an insulated bag for her lunch which adds to the weight. Then there's the squillion books she brings home each day.

#71 seayork2002

Posted 16 March 2016 - 08:36 AM

View PostIlliterati, on 16 March 2016 - 08:16 AM, said:

What does a 5yr old need to take to school to make their bags too heavy to carry?

Even in grade six my kids just had to take their lunch, snack and hat to school. A drink bottle too if they remembered - but they preferred to drink out of the bubblers mostly. Lunch was just a sandwich, snack a piece of fruit.

Some days my sons bag is heavy other days it is not - but either way I can't see how me carrying makes a detrimental effect on his independence

#72 steppy

Posted 16 March 2016 - 08:46 AM

View Postdad2two_, on 15 March 2016 - 05:41 PM, said:

There seems to be this bizarre notion that parents who give their kids a healthy diet think they have done something wonderful and are deserving of praise. Hey look at me everybody my 5 year old eats broccoli aren't I the best parent in the world.  Father of the year right here. :rolleyes: Giving your kids a decent diet is parenting 101, my kids eat veggies and fruit and salad, that's it. They haven't composed symphonies or painted a masterpiece. If your kid eats cucumbers, that is not a major achievement. That is not something anyone should be proud of or think is some kind of wondrous event, unless of course the child is ill or has a disability. We have friends going mental because our kids eat fish or cabbage like they have just smashed out moonlight sonata on the violin. How effing ridiculous. This is now the situation we're in - people mention their kids have a healthy diet and it's regarded as a brag, how sad and pathetic. You don't pat yourself on the back for doing the most basic of parenting duties FFS. You'll want a medal for wiping their ar$e next.

I think it's way worse than that. Nowdays, if your child eats all the vegies, doesn't throw tanties at the shops and says please and thank you, you are obviously an abusive parent who beats them in secret - because all children would be just as horrible as our own if they were allowed to express themselves properly. That's actually the gold star child - the one who has been taught so little about other people that they act like 3 year olds at age 9.

#73 SCG23

Posted 16 March 2016 - 08:47 AM

View PostAsperHacker, on 16 March 2016 - 06:46 AM, said:

No, I'm not only talking about Caucasian white Australians. I'm talking about cultural parenting practices.

I know what capital cities are like. I spent my first 25 years in a capital city,  and yes earlier generation parent who were immigrants parented according to their culture then too.

I just don't think it's helpful to refer to cultural parenting strategies as molly coddling when theyre done for reasons other than my precious snowflake couldn't possibly carry their own bag.

I'm not sure why in any culture a 5 yr old would be deemed to be unable to lift and carry their own bag unless they were physically incapable of doing so.
You've taken exception to my use of the word mollycoddle. But the fact remains they are not learning to be independent when it is age appropriate to be learning to do so. The fussing over is unnecessary.

#74 bowietragic

Posted 16 March 2016 - 08:49 AM

View PostSoontobegran, on 16 March 2016 - 08:17 AM, said:

Cow's milk has to be diluted and it has to be boiled to make it digestible by the human infant. Human babies can not digest the proteins in non boiled cow's milk.
Cane sugar was added and infants were given Pentavite to ensure they were getting the vitamins that were missing from this type of formula.
Cow's milk formula is still an appropriate emergency feed, it fed generations of people before infant formula was developed but of course formula is a much better option these days...we know better.
Being fed a cow's milk formula was not a sign of sub optimal parenting, for many it was the best they could do. The same parents would make a completely different choice these days because they can.

Yes like one of the other posters I was fed some sort of condensed milk concoction but not because my parents were so much worse than those of today. My parents were following the best medical advice available at the time. Doing the best they could. Much the same as the vast majority of today's parents.

#75 ~river song~

Posted 16 March 2016 - 08:49 AM

View PostSoontobegran, on 16 March 2016 - 08:10 AM, said:

This type of judgement truly sucks.
Who are you to tell someone to get a life? You've no idea what is going on in the lives of those people who feel they need to stay around awhile.

FTR it has happened in every generation I have lived in....there will always be 'those' parents. Mind your own business.

Hit a nerve have I? What reason is there to stay watching your kid file into class every single day then hang about the school for the next half hour? In many kids cases it makes settling into school harder and the tears continue well past the first few weeks.
It's a policy many schools and daycare use. Say good-bye, reassure them and go. Don't gang about it makes them worse.
And just because you're of the older generation I couldn't give a toss about your opinion either. So you mind your business, don't like it, lump it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.